Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Formaldehyde Free Plywood at HD

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 01:47:57 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

Although I haven't been there in a while, I noticed yesterday that Home
Depot is carrying "Formaldehyde-free" plywood now (by Columbia Forest
Products). I thought that $39.95 for a 3/4" 4' by 8' sheet was quite fair
based on the prices of similar Formaldehyde-free materials I have seen
described (and availability is another thing altogether..). My
previously-discussed sensitivity to formaldehyde makes living or working
with the "ordinary stuff " impractical. If this stuff lives up to my
expectations, if may re-open doors that I perceived were shut-off to me! I
am hopeful! : ) For $20 they will provide me with a pickup truck for 75
minutes. Question: Can I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half
on a 30" table saw (without risking kickback)?

Bill

The trick is having 8 feet available in the front and 8 feet clear on
the backside, which means you should have 16+ of clear space. Ply is
unlikely to kickback, but it is prudent to have a splitter installed
and make sure the ply edge remains in contact with the fence during
the cut.