Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Things are kind of slow here on Sunday evening...

Anybody catch The Who? What happened to those young guys who used to play
those songs? Was there any wood anywhere on that set?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 9:35*pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
Anybody catch The Who? What happened to those young guys who used to play
those songs? *Was there any wood anywhere on that set?

I thought Roger, Pete and his kid and Ringo's boy were all pretty
good. Great show! Great game.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:070220102210082534%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , John
Grossbohlin wrote:

Anybody catch The Who? What happened to those young guys who used to play
those songs? Was there any wood anywhere on that set?

There was a Who concert?

NO, just a couple of old guys pretending while playing their music.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Anybody catch The Who? What happened to those young guys who used to
play
those songs? Was there any wood anywhere on that set?

There was a Who concert?

NO, just a couple of old guys pretending while playing their music.

The vocals were live, the guitars were live, the drums were live for at
least parts of it.

For halftime shows and TV shows in which they have lots of acts
performing, they always record their performances during rehearsals. At
this point in time, it's a logistical impossibility to have those shows
completely live.

What you end up hearing over the air is a mix of live performance and
recorded performance. While some of it is technically "pantomimed,"
they are do that to what they did actually play, a couple days before.

From what I could tell, most of Roger's vocals were live, except his
patented scream.
All of Pete's guitar was live. Some of the drum may have been live, the
jury's still out for me on that one. I didn't pay attention to Pino's
bass or the keyboard or other guitars, but they were very likely all the
recorded performance.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Anybody catch The Who? What happened to those young guys who used to play
those songs? Was there any wood anywhere on that set?

I thought Roger, Pete and his kid and Ringo's boy were all pretty
good. Great show! Great game.

Yeah, they weren't bad for a couple of old farts, and Zach does a good job
filling Keith Moon's shoes. I enjoyed the game too (I was rooting for the
Saints), but the most vivid memory for me was Carrie Underwood in that tight
white outfit. Rowr!

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

NO, just a couple of old guys pretending while playing their music.

I've seen those old guys nine times in the past decade, they routinely mop
the floor with the much younger bands who open for them. No, they aren't as
they once were, but they're still pretty damn good. I wonder why rock
musicians can't do what blues or jazz or classical or country musicians do
(play as long as the audience will still come to see them) without this sort
of snotty comment?

The vocals were live, the guitars were live, the drums were live for at
least parts of it.

For halftime shows and TV shows in which they have lots of acts
performing, they always record their performances during rehearsals. At
this point in time, it's a logistical impossibility to have those shows
completely live.

What you end up hearing over the air is a mix of live performance and
recorded performance. While some of it is technically "pantomimed," they
are do that to what they did actually play, a couple days before.

Many people don't seem to appreciate that the halftime show is more a
theatrical production than a musical performance--as you say they can't
leave anything to chance, not with 150 million people watching. Backing
tracks and the use of black box technology like Auto Tune is routine for
such major productions.

From what I could tell, most of Roger's vocals were live, except his
patented scream.
All of Pete's guitar was live. Some of the drum may have been live, the
jury's still out for me on that one. I didn't pay attention to Pino's
bass or the keyboard or other guitars, but they were very likely all the
recorded performance.

I heard from somebody who helped set up/tear down the stage (set up in four
minutes!) and he said the band's rehearsal on the 4th was superior to the
actual Super Bowl show. I suspected Daltrey's vocals were from a backing
track from the beginning. If the drums were taped then Zak did an amazing
job of hitting everything to a small fraction of a second. This certainly
wasn't Pete and Roger at their best, I'd give it a B or maybe a B+, but it
will seem like perfection in comparison to the acts that will take that
stage in years to come when all the "classic rock" generation is gone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" writes:

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

NO, just a couple of old guys pretending while playing their music.

I've seen those old guys nine times in the past decade, they routinely mop
the floor with the much younger bands who open for them. No, they aren't as
they once were, but they're still pretty damn good. I wonder why rock
musicians can't do what blues or jazz or classical or country musicians do
(play as long as the audience will still come to see them) without this sort
of snotty comment?

Second show I ever worked (ran a Strong SuperTrouper follow) was a Who
show (first was Maynard Ferguson circa 1975). This was after Keith had
passed (1979) but hey, they rocked (and partied).

Saw them several times over the years, then saw them again at Shoreline
the day after Entwistle died. Pete's brother played bass, and they
were still excellent.

The halftime show was just fine.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 6:25 PM, DGDevin wrote:
What you end up hearing over the air is a mix of live performance and
recorded performance. While some of it is technically "pantomimed," they
are do that to what they did actually play, a couple days before.

Many people don't seem to appreciate that the halftime show is more a
theatrical production than a musical performance--as you say they can't
leave anything to chance, not with 150 million people watching. Backing
tracks and the use of black box technology like Auto Tune is routine for
such major productions.

And they certainly weren't using it for this.... I think those guy would
draw the line at autotune, live.

From what I could tell, most of Roger's vocals were live, except his
[...]

I could tell that most of Roger's singing was live, except a few high
parts.

There were times it was blatantly obvious that Zack's parts were
recorded and there were times it looked live. Doesn't matter to me...
they played the parts.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Scott Lurndal" wrote:

Second show I ever worked (ran a Strong SuperTrouper follow) was a
Who
show (first was Maynard Ferguson circa 1975).

That man played a mean horn, especially in the 50s with Kenton.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

NO, just a couple of old guys pretending while playing their music.

I've seen those old guys nine times in the past decade, they routinely mop
the floor with the much younger bands who open for them. No, they aren't
as they once were, but they're still pretty damn good. I wonder why rock
musicians can't do what blues or jazz or classical or country musicians do
(play as long as the audience will still come to see them) without this
sort of snotty comment?

I think it's more of a commentary on how some of us aren't kids any more...
but we remember groups like The Who, The Byrds and other groups as being
made up of young guys. It hit home the last time I spoke with Roger McGuinn
(family ties).... he's 67 now. A couple local guys, Levon Helm is 69 and
Todd Rundgren is 61. Who ever would have thought...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2010 7:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/8/10 6:25 PM, DGDevin wrote:
What you end up hearing over the air is a mix of live performance and
recorded performance. While some of it is technically "pantomimed," they
are do that to what they did actually play, a couple days before.

Many people don't seem to appreciate that the halftime show is more a
theatrical production than a musical performance--as you say they can't
leave anything to chance, not with 150 million people watching. Backing
tracks and the use of black box technology like Auto Tune is routine for
such major productions.

And they certainly weren't using it for this.... I think those guy would
draw the line at autotune, live.

From what I could tell, most of Roger's vocals were live, except his
[...]

Hell, even the Lawrence Welk show was recorded, then lipped synched for
TV ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 7:11 PM, Swingman wrote:
There were times it was blatantly obvious that Zack's parts were
recorded and there were times it looked live. Doesn't matter to me...
they played the parts.

Hell, even the Lawrence Welk show was recorded, then lipped synched for
TV ...

Wow, Karl. Lawrence Welk in a Who thread? really? c'mon, man!

:-)

(get to work on those bass polyrhythms)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2010 7:16 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/8/10 7:11 PM, Swingman wrote:
There were times it was blatantly obvious that Zack's parts were
recorded and there were times it looked live. Doesn't matter to me...
they played the parts.

Hell, even the Lawrence Welk show was recorded, then lipped synched for
TV ...

Wow, Karl. Lawrence Welk in a Who thread? really? c'mon, man!

:-)

"Melody" ... the concept which built both reputations. Think about it!

(get to work on those bass polyrhythms)

That video of yours is awesome ... my brain simply does not allow for
four part (arms and legs) harmony within itself. I don't know how you do
it??

First I'd have to grow a couple more arms, then wait until brain
replacement surgery is available at the mall, or the synapses can be
reprogrammed/flashed.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 7:36 PM, Swingman wrote:
(get to work on those bass polyrhythms)

That video of yours is awesome ... my brain simply does not allow for
four part (arms and legs) harmony within itself. I don't know how you do
it??

First I'd have to grow a couple more arms, then wait until brain
replacement surgery is available at the mall, or the synapses can be
reprogrammed/flashed.

Like anything, it's only difficult until you do it. :-)

Seriously, you start with two and go from there.
2 part polyrhythm between the feet and or/hands is pretty simple and
comes very quickly. 3/2 is the simplest polyrhythm (think Carol of the
Bells).

3 part comes soon after, because the two part just goes on autopilot.
It's hard to explain, but once it's in your muscle memory, you can sort
of train your brain to ignore it and go one to something else.

4 is pretty tough to get, but because you have the rest in autopilot,
you can really focus on it. It's really a cool way to exercise your
brain. I find that I sleep really well that night, after working on
them for a while.

Sooner or later, I'll work on 5 parts, using vocal for the fifth.
I'll surely post a video of that. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

NO, just a couple of old guys pretending while playing their music.

I've seen those old guys nine times in the past decade, they routinely mop
the floor with the much younger bands who open for them. No, they aren't
as they once were, but they're still pretty damn good. I wonder why rock
musicians can't do what blues or jazz or classical or country musicians do
(play as long as the audience will still come to see them) without this
sort of snotty comment?

For the record, it was me, not Mike that made what you think is a snotty
comment.

I think, (no, I know) you are being a bit sensitive for nothing. It was a
light hearted comment about the fact that they, as many of us, have aged
since they were in their prime. Frankly, I was flipping channels and saw
them performing and was not sure who they were at first. Kind of knew them,
but was trying to place the older faces with the younger performance.

The years are not very kind to the hard and fast living rock musicians.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote

I think it's more of a commentary on how some of us aren't kids any
more... but we remember groups like The Who, The Byrds and other groups as
being made up of young guys. It hit home the last time I spoke with Roger
McGuinn (family ties).... he's 67 now. A couple local guys, Levon Helm is
69 and Todd Rundgren is 61. Who ever would have thought...

Old age and music, eh?

I had to pick up a couple patch cords for a small studio I am working on
tonight. I stopped by a place I used to buy recording equipment from years
ago. The place was still there, albeit with different owners. I saw my old
buddy in there who used to be the sound engineer for Heart, way back when
when they were starting out.

He still had the hair. But it was ugly grey. His nose was considerable
bigger and he looked to be at least a hundred. Still sharp, still knew his
stuff and the recent products. But he looked to be at deaths door. Some
musician types just don't age well. All that hard living catches up with
you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

Anybody catch The Who? What happened to those young guys who used to

play
those songs? Was there any wood anywhere on that set?

I enjoyed it. I wasn't sure how'd they do. Did better then I expected. Did
remind me how old I was, but Face Book does that everyday when I see an
old buddy and your image of them is from 30 years ago. You say to yourself
I don't remember him/her looking like that. Damn they didn't age well. But
they're probably saying the same thing about me!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 10:51*pm, Evodawg wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:
Anybody catch The Who? What happened to those young guys who used to

play
those songs? *Was there any wood anywhere on that set?

I enjoyed it. I wasn't sure how'd they do. Did better then I expected. Did
remind me how old I was, but Face Book does that everyday when I see an
old buddy and your image of them is from 30 years ago. You say to yourself
I don't remember him/her looking like that. Damn they didn't age well. But
they're probably saying the same thing about me!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 *using KDE 4.3
Website: *www.rentmyhusband.biz

I saw them a little over a year ago at the John Labatts Centre in
London. They were great. Zak is a damned good drummer, and Roger just
can't make it all the way to the top like the old days.... that's
okay, the spirit was there, as it was last night.
I happen to be one of those who dares to think that The Who is the
greatest rock band that ever lived.
There are other bands that do some/many things better, like harmony
and certain instruments, but as a package, their rock is as pure as it
gets. I felt that way since the first time I saw them in 1965. They
lost me for a while with some of that Tommy ****, cuz The Who didn't
do no ****ing opera, you dig?
Oh...btw... I have a few dozen favourite LP's by other bands as
well...none as pure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message

Second show I ever worked (ran a Strong SuperTrouper follow) was a Who
show (first was Maynard Ferguson circa 1975). This was after Keith had
passed (1979) but hey, they rocked (and partied).

People are amazed that I can accurately predict the lights will go down and
the band will come out in five minutes. I just watch for the guys on the
Super Troupers to put down their magazines, pull their headphones all the
way on and take the controls.

Saw them several times over the years, then saw them again at Shoreline
the day after Entwistle died.

He died June 27, they cancelled the show in Vegas, played the Hollywood Bowl
July 1 and then played Shoreline July 3--"Defiantly spitting into the abyss"
as the SF Chronicle described it. I was at that same show, it was one of
the most moving musical performances I ever witnessed--the emotions coming
from the band (and the audience) were vivid. Talk about musicians playing
their hearts out.

Pete's brother played bass, and they
were still excellent.

Pete's brother Simon played guitar and sang backing vocals, the bass player
was Pino Palladino--both still play with the band.

The halftime show was just fine.

scott

I enjoyed it even though it was far from what even the current version of
The Who can deliver. Pretty hard to really open the throttle in just twelve
minutes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

For the record, it was me, not Mike that made what you think is a snotty
comment.

I knew that, count the sideways chevrons.

I think, (no, I know) you are being a bit sensitive for nothing. It was a
light hearted comment about the fact that they, as many of us, have aged
since they were in their prime.

Okay, I am perhaps a bit sensitive on the subject due to my rapidly
advancing age. I see a lot of similar comments online from people who sneer
at [insert name of 60s legends] without having actually been at the show in
question, it gets up my nose a bit. Not all Who shows are outstanding (and
frankly this one wasn't) but not much more than a year ago I saw them tear
down the building at one show in particular. They really don't need to
pretend they can still do it, they actually can.

Frankly, I was flipping channels and saw them performing and was not sure
who they were at first. Kind of knew them, but was trying to place the
older faces with the younger performance.

The years are not very kind to the hard and fast living rock musicians.

I'd love to be in Roger Daltrey's condition when I'm 65--hell, I'd like to
be that fit now, the *******'s stomach is flat as a Starrett ruler.
Townshend has aged fairly well too since he gave up drugs and booze in time.
Many others -- the ones still alive -- are in bad shape. A lifetime of
booze and hard drugs and no sleep apparently catches up with one....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

Anybody catch The Who? What happened to those young guys who used to play
those songs? Was there any wood anywhere on that set?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8g0WFQZHeY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEDmZPx-FMg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

NO, just a couple of old guys pretending while playing their music.

I've seen those old guys nine times in the past decade, they routinely
mop the floor with the much younger bands who open for them. No, they
aren't as they once were, but they're still pretty damn good. I wonder
why rock musicians can't do what blues or jazz or classical or country
musicians do (play as long as the audience will still come to see them)
without this sort of snotty comment?

I think it's more of a commentary on how some of us aren't kids any
more... but we remember groups like The Who, The Byrds and other groups as
being made up of young guys. It hit home the last time I spoke with Roger
McGuinn (family ties).... he's 67 now. A couple local guys, Levon Helm is
69 and Todd Rundgren is 61. Who ever would have thought...

John

Got an e-mail about this via Roger's wife.... he looks younger here than he
did the last time I saw him in person!

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r..._mcguinn.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 11, 7:46*am, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

m...

"DGDevin" wrote in message
om...

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

[...]

The Byrds were one of those bands that played songs to which I
attached so many memories. Dylan's My Back Pages was one of those
songs. Then to see McGuinn start this off sent shivers down my
spine... (To see this now makes me realize even more how much of a
loss Harrison was)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WThjO4IcZkg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 21:35:51 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

Anybody catch The Who? What happened to those young guys who used to play
those songs? Was there any wood anywhere on that set?

I am old enough to appreciate The Who and maybe because I am that old,
I'd rather see Janet's boob than Pete's belly.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

Got an e-mail about this via Roger's wife.... he looks younger here than
he did the last time I saw him in person!

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r..._mcguinn.shtml

McGuinn telling story and playing at Mac show.... I'll protect the ID of the
former owner of the phone. ;~)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNqgIWu0Ng0