Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slow HW, slow rads, boiler clunking...

These problems may not be related...

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar boiler (an early condensing combi)
about 6 years old. For some months the hot water has taking about 3-4
minutes to come out hot, as if the pre-heated store isn't working.
Timeswitch is set correctly, the boiler is not in ECO mode.

Also, in the last week the rads have been taking a long time to get
warm. The rads upstairs get hot first while the downstairs ones are
still cold. The burner comes on for about 3 minutes or so then off for
3 minutes, so the whole house is taking hours to heat up. There is a
clunking noise coming from somewhere inside the boiler.

Any ideas? Pump? Sludge in the pipes - the central heating system is
also 6 years old. Whihc should I check first?

Many thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

These problems may not be related...

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar boiler (an early condensing combi)
about 6 years old. For some months the hot water has taking about 3-4
minutes to come out hot, as if the pre-heated store isn't working.
Timeswitch is set correctly, the boiler is not in ECO mode.

Also, in the last week the rads have been taking a long time to get
warm. The rads upstairs get hot first while the downstairs ones are
still cold. The burner comes on for about 3 minutes or so then off for
3 minutes, so the whole house is taking hours to heat up. There is a
clunking noise coming from somewhere inside the boiler.

Any ideas? Pump? Sludge in the pipes - the central heating system is
also 6 years old. Whihc should I check first?

Many thanks!

Check the pump is rotating - Remove the silver screw ( expect some water
leaking out) and see if the shaft end is rotating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any ideas? Pump? Sludge in the pipes - the central heating system is
also 6 years old. Whihc should I check first?

Sounds like a pump problem or other obstruction in the primary water flow.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:54:36 -0800, jpcoetzee wrote:

These problems may not be related...

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar boiler (an early condensing combi)
about 6 years old. For some months the hot water has taking about 3-4
minutes to come out hot, as if the pre-heated store isn't working.
Timeswitch is set correctly, the boiler is not in ECO mode.

Also, in the last week the rads have been taking a long time to get
warm. The rads upstairs get hot first while the downstairs ones are
still cold. The burner comes on for about 3 minutes or so then off for 3
minutes, so the whole house is taking hours to heat up. There is a
clunking noise coming from somewhere inside the boiler.

Any ideas? Pump? Sludge in the pipes - the central heating system is
also 6 years old. Whihc should I check first?

Many thanks!

I would say you probably have some flow but not enough. I'd suspect a
partially detached impeller in the pump. Sludge is possibly involved but
as the symptoms came on suddenly I suspect the pump.

It is often possible to change the pump head as they are often big
standard grundfoss units, held by 4 allen bolts and a big o-ring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks to all - it was indeed the pump.