Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

Default Ariston DIA 20 Boiler -- slow to start heating tap water

Our DIA 20 combi boiler, about 10 years old, has become slow to detect mains
water flow, ie we run the "hot" tap for ages before boiler activates. Then,
once it has primed, it works OK. This response delay has been building up
over the weeks. If tap is not used again for a while, same slowness thing
occurs.

The filling pressure from the filling loop is OK, and CH section works when
asked for heat.

Is there such a device as a flow detection valve that needs replacing?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Jim Gregory" wrote in message
news
Our DIA 20 combi boiler, about 10 years old, has become slow to detect
mains
water flow, ie we run the "hot" tap for ages before boiler activates.
Then,
once it has primed, it works OK. This response delay has been building up
over the weeks. If tap is not used again for a while, same slowness thing
occurs.

The filling pressure from the filling loop is OK, and CH section works
when
asked for heat.

Is there such a device as a flow detection valve that needs replacing?

If it has a pressure activated 3-way valve then this is most likely the
problem. If it has an electric 3-way valve then the flow switch is most
likely the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

Thanx Doctor
What does this gismo (either sort) look like? Describe it if poss. I need to
know what to search inside its gubbins for, bnot knowing which valve. Would
it be directly in the mains water path?
Is it a 3rd party part, or -must- it be obtained from Ariston's importers
(they only sell to registered plumbers, I believe).
And I guess the mains cock has to be turned off during replacement.
Jim

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

Is there such a device as a flow detection valve that needs replacing?

If it has a pressure activated 3-way valve then this is most likely the
problem. If it has an electric 3-way valve then the flow switch is most
likely the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 10:59:56 +0000, Jim Gregory wrote:

Thanx Doctor
What does this gismo (either sort) look like? Describe it if poss. I need to
know what to search inside its gubbins for, bnot knowing which valve. Would
it be directly in the mains water path?
Is it a 3rd party part, or -must- it be obtained from Ariston's importers
(they only sell to registered plumbers, I believe).
And I guess the mains cock has to be turned off during replacement.
Jim

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

Is there such a device as a flow detection valve that needs replacing?

If it has a pressure activated 3-way valve then this is most likely the
problem. If it has an electric 3-way valve then the flow switch is most
likely the problem.

I haven't got a manual for this model.
However other models and these sypmtoms suggest that it is likely to be a
rubber diaphragm operated type.

The usual failure mode is that the rubber has a small tear in it and it
reduces it sensitivity to water flow. Typically the component is circular
50-100mm diameter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Jim Gregory
writes
Thanx Doctor
What does this gismo (either sort) look like? Describe it if poss. I need to
know what to search inside its gubbins for, bnot knowing which valve. Would
it be directly in the mains water path?
Is it a 3rd party part, or -must- it be obtained from Ariston's importers
(they only sell to registered plumbers, I believe).
And I guess the mains cock has to be turned off during replacement.
Jim

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
freenews.net...

Is there such a device as a flow detection valve that needs replacing?

If it has a pressure activated 3-way valve then this is most likely the
problem. If it has an electric 3-way valve then the flow switch is most
likely the problem.

If you listen to the ramblings of this eejit, you might regret it

DD is the NG troll, and although we feed it from time to time, you
should be very wary of taking any notice of what it says

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Jim Gregory
writes
Thanx Doctor
What does this gismo (either sort) look like? Describe it if poss. I need
know what to search inside its gubbins for, bnot knowing which valve.
Would
it be directly in the mains water path?
Is it a 3rd party part, or -must- it be obtained from Ariston's importers
(they only sell to registered plumbers, I believe).
And I guess the mains cock has to be turned off during replacement.
Jim

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
dfreenews.net...

Is there such a device as a flow detection valve that needs replacing?

If it has a pressure activated 3-way valve then this is most likely the
problem. If it has an electric 3-way valve then the flow switch is most
likely the problem.

If you listen

Maxie resplendent in a frock up a tree:
http://tinyurl.com/mzoan

..."troll" Maxie did scream and shout
...he thinks all people are silly no doubt
...he thinks he is of greater mind
...the smart and sophisto kind

...the truth, Maxie is warped up top
...he swings up trees in polka dot
...on a beach he fleeces them all
...while wearing a gown only seen in a ball