Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking gifts received

My wife (who has a keen eye) got me a dust-collection set for my router with
different hoods for different applications, and one of those electric
branding irons so I can sign my projects--a woman like that is a keeper!

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/s...oId=1363400009

Posted to rec.woodworking

Most of the gifts I get are dust collectors, except for the Incra 6"
precision T-Rule my daughters got me. Love these things.

On Dec 25, 11:32*am, "DGDevin" wrote:
My wife (who has a keen eye) got me a dust-collection set for my router with
different hoods for different applications, and one of those electric
branding irons so I can sign my projects--a woman like that is a keeper!

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/s...rojects/holida...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 25, 1:32*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
My wife (who has a keen eye) got me a dust-collection set for my router with
different hoods for different applications, and one of those electric
branding irons so I can sign my projects--a woman like that is a keeper!

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/s...rojects/holida...

Yep. I have been married to one of those for 42 years. I ended up
wearing down my 14 year old Ryobi 11-1/4" planer while building and
trimming our new home. Now SHE is bound and determined I am going to
get a new Grizzly G0453 15" machine to replace it!

One of my pet peeves is women who constantly put their men down
because they can't do anything with their hands.......and bitch
everytime the guy even mentions buying a tool.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 11:54:08 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

On Dec 25, 1:32*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
My wife (who has a keen eye) got me a dust-collection set for my router with
different hoods for different applications, and one of those electric
branding irons so I can sign my projects--a woman like that is a keeper!

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/s...rojects/holida...

Yep. I have been married to one of those for 42 years. I ended up
wearing down my 14 year old Ryobi 11-1/4" planer while building and
trimming our new home. Now SHE is bound and determined I am going to
get a new Grizzly G0453 15" machine to replace it!

SWMBO bought me a DW735 a couple of years ago. Well, she gave me the
gift certificate, anyway.

One of my pet peeves is women who constantly put their men down
because they can't do anything with their hands.......and bitch
everytime the guy even mentions buying a tool.

Mine never bitches about tools and rarely about unfinished projects
(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue). Good thing,
because I would have given her plenty to bitch about. Maybe there's a
reason we've kept them around (38 years, in my case). ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"krw" wrote in message

One of my pet peeves is women who constantly put their men down
because they can't do anything with their hands.......and bitch
everytime the guy even mentions buying a tool.

Mine never bitches about tools and rarely about unfinished projects
(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue). Good thing,
because I would have given her plenty to bitch about. Maybe there's a
reason we've kept them around (38 years, in my case). ;-)

My wife lavishes praise on everything I build whether it deserves it or not.
She also helps without complaint when I need an extra set of hands to
assemble something. And she not only doesn't object when I buy tools (she
knows any big-ticket item I buy has been heavily researched) but sometimes
she suggests getting something I'm just eye-balling. Imagine being married
to someone who wants to know why we're leaving the Grizzly store without
buying something that plugs into the wall? I must have been a really good
person in a previous life to deserve someone like her....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 12:42:35 -0800, "DGDevin"
wrote:

"krw" wrote in message
.. .

One of my pet peeves is women who constantly put their men down
because they can't do anything with their hands.......and bitch
everytime the guy even mentions buying a tool.

Mine never bitches about tools and rarely about unfinished projects
(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue). Good thing,
because I would have given her plenty to bitch about. Maybe there's a
reason we've kept them around (38 years, in my case). ;-)

My wife lavishes praise on everything I build whether it deserves it or not.

Same.

She also helps without complaint when I need an extra set of hands to
assemble something.

She won't help - at all. I yelled at her once, thirty years ago, when
the RAS was binding. She was "helping" a bit too much (there can only
be one driver).

And she not only doesn't object when I buy tools (she
knows any big-ticket item I buy has been heavily researched) but sometimes
she suggests getting something I'm just eye-balling. Imagine being married
to someone who wants to know why we're leaving the Grizzly store without
buying something that plugs into the wall? I must have been a really good
person in a previous life to deserve someone like her....

Never been to a Grizzly store, but ditto.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 12:42:35 -0800, "DGDevin"
wrote:

"krw" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Very nice to have a helper for a few minutes when cutting 4x8 sheets
of ply. I'll take that over any "gift."
Posted to rec.woodworking

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Uhhhh...Yeah there IS that! ;^}
Posted to rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Started my career working for the National Carbon Division of Union
Carbide.

This was a place that made things from graphite.

As a result, there was graphite dust all over the place even with dust
collection and motorized sweepers.

The graphite dust would get all over your shoes and into the pores of
your skin.

Had a pair of shoes that never left the plant.

Had a 2nd pair that were used for commuting from home to the plant and
back.

Once at home, it was time for street shoes.

It worked for me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:36:52 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Somebody wrote:

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Started my career working for the National Carbon Division of Union
Carbide.

This was a place that made things from graphite.

As a result, there was graphite dust all over the place even with dust
collection and motorized sweepers.

The graphite dust would get all over your shoes and into the pores of
your skin.

Had a pair of shoes that never left the plant.

Had a 2nd pair that were used for commuting from home to the plant and
back.

Once at home, it was time for street shoes.

It worked for me.

I leave a pair of old shoes by the garage door and another by the
entrance to the room over the garage. and *try* to slip them off every
time I come in, but sometimes...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Uhhhh...Yeah there IS that! ;^}

Reminds me of trying to rent a house years ago and mentioning that I would
put woodworking tools in the basement. The owner (female) recoiled in
horror and asked, "Would you be making sawdust?" When I told her yes, she
started screaming and chased us out of the house. Apparently, to her,
sawdust was the ultimate evil.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 25, 4:37*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"RonB" wrote

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Uhhhh...Yeah there IS that! * ;^}

Reminds me of trying to rent a house years ago and mentioning that I would
put woodworking tools in the basement. *The owner (female) recoiled in
horror and asked, "Would you be making sawdust?" *When I told her yes, she
started screaming and chased us out of the house. Apparently, to her,
sawdust was the ultimate evil.

Stuff won't even burn. How evil is that???

I received a wonderful present. Planet Earth on Blu-ray.
I have all the tools I need. Need. There are still some I desire. What
I need, I have.

Oh.. and a Blu-ray player to go with it. And a few new Blu-ray discs.
Clapton & Winwood.... should be nice.
And Angela bought me a plasma.

See ya`ll in a bit. *S*
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 16:37:15 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

"RonB" wrote

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Uhhhh...Yeah there IS that! ;^}

Reminds me of trying to rent a house years ago and mentioning that I would
put woodworking tools in the basement. The owner (female) recoiled in
horror and asked, "Would you be making sawdust?" When I told her yes, she
started screaming and chased us out of the house. Apparently, to her,
sawdust was the ultimate evil.

You were darned lucky to learn that BEFORE you moved in, huh? Whew!

--
REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind,
the more time you'll have to catch up!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 25, 2:54*pm, RonB wrote:
[...]

Mine doesn't complain at all. She does the "do you NEED it or do you
WANT it" question but if she sees that I need it, I can usually get
it. I did get a WoodWorker 2 and a Ridgid jointer for Christmas this
year so I can't complain.

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

Peter Huebner wrote in
t:

Lucky sod. My wife got a chainsaw grin - well she asked for one a
week ago. So that's some kind of woodworking tool.

My Mum said "I want a power screwdriver that is all mine. Not anyone
else's." She's not getting my Makitas, but I found her a nice Panasonic
for Christmas.

I'll have to borrow it once to see why it's a favorite brand here. ;-)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On 26 Dec 2009 06:56:43 GMT, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Peter Huebner wrote in
et:

My Mum said "I want a power screwdriver that is all mine. Not anyone
else's." She's not getting my Makitas, but I found her a nice Panasonic
for Christmas.

I'll have to borrow it once to see why it's a favorite brand here. ;-)

I bought a 12v Panasonic for SWMBO (a little slip of a thing) a couple years ago based on
recommendations here. I have not regretted it, and more importantly, neither has she. Your Mom
will like it, and you might find yourself wondering why you don't have one yourself.

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
Peter Huebner wrote in
t:

Lucky sod. My wife got a chainsaw grin - well she asked for one a
week ago. So that's some kind of woodworking tool.

My Mum said "I want a power screwdriver that is all mine. Not anyone
else's." She's not getting my Makitas, but I found her a nice Panasonic
for Christmas.

I'll have to borrow it once to see why it's a favorite brand here. ;-)

Puckdropper

I have had both Panasonic and Makita and they are/were my favorites of all
the other brands I have owned. You may want to give your Mum the Makita and
keep the Panasonic for yourself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 11:38:08 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
. ..
Peter Huebner wrote in
t:

Lucky sod. My wife got a chainsaw grin - well she asked for one a
week ago. So that's some kind of woodworking tool.

My Mum said "I want a power screwdriver that is all mine. Not anyone
else's." She's not getting my Makitas, but I found her a nice Panasonic
for Christmas.

I'll have to borrow it once to see why it's a favorite brand here. ;-)

Puckdropper

I have had both Panasonic and Makita and they are/were my favorites of all
the other brands I have owned. You may want to give your Mum the Makita and
keep the Panasonic for yourself.

I like my Bosch (Impactor and regular). OTOH, I don't like the
"broken-stick" screwdrivers at all. We have a Milwaukee at work. No
thanks, I'll use a manual screwdriver.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

I have had both Panasonic and Makita and they are/were my favorites of
all the other brands I have owned. You may want to give your Mum the
Makita and keep the Panasonic for yourself.

The Makita's got a flashlight and impact driver with the drill. The
Panasonic is just the drill. I'm still keeping my Makitas... The Panasonic
may be better, but it's not that much better.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message

My wife (who has a keen eye) got me a dust-collection set for my router
with different hoods for different applications, and one of those electric
branding irons so I can sign my projects--a woman like that is a keeper!

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/s...oId=1363400009

Oh yeah, I forgot the box-set of Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, that's the
only woodworking gift I actually suggested.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 25, 2:32*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

I found a bin at LOwes with a pile of 4-inch "Vise Grips," albeit
Lowes brand and grabbed the three left at $1.98 each. Then, I cut a
pattern guide out of some thin material and used it to rout out a hole
that just fit the little pliers in three chunks of 3/4-inch Mahogany.
Then, I planed down an old (1960 era) piece of "barn wood" that had
some nice figuring and routed out a rectangular opening so as to form
a cover or top for the tool encapsulating Mahogany base into which I
cut a rabbit on all four sides so the bottom section fit nicely into
the Barn Wood top. Putting the two pieces together, I trimmed all four
sides on the table saw, then sanded and finished the little boxes.

I gave them as gifts to a couple of buddies and to my son-in-law.
Nothing great, somewhat of a "gag gift," but fun to make and give. And
at a cost that was hardly noticed.

Not so impressive as the umbrella stand - nice piece - but an idea for
next year maybe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DGDevin wrote:

My wife (who has a keen eye) got me a dust-collection set for my router
with different hoods for different applications, and one of those

electric
branding irons so I can sign my projects--a woman like that is a keeper!

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-

received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/s...jects/holiday-

gift-projects/1365300003/?photoId=1363400009

A new Ford 460 engine for my working flatbed truck!!!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 11:32:25 -0800, "DGDevin"
wrote:

My wife (who has a keen eye) got me a dust-collection set for my router with
different hoods for different applications, and one of those electric
branding irons so I can sign my projects--a woman like that is a keeper!

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/s...oId=1363400009

I buy my own tools and tell everyone I know I prefer it that way. In
fact, I prefer that I am the only one that knows about my tools and
that nobody ever sees them. I'd be happy to get a warm plaid flannel
shirt as a gift though, even better if it has pocket flaps to keep out
the sawdust.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote:

I'd be happy to get a warm plaid flannel
shirt as a gift though, even better if it has pocket flaps to keep
out
the sawdust

Check out the Chamois shirts from L L Bean, you might like them.

I know I do.

Lew.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote in
:

I buy my own tools and tell everyone I know I prefer it that way. In
fact, I prefer that I am the only one that knows about my tools and
that nobody ever sees them. I'd be happy to get a warm plaid flannel
shirt as a gift though, even better if it has pocket flaps to keep out
the sawdust.

I asked for some 5" hook and loop sand paper for Christmas, and got a
couple packages from just about everybody. That worked out quite well for
Christmas tools. You never can have too much sand paper, especially when
it takes 2-3 sheets to finish a project.

Didn't get the other tool I asked for, a good quality pencil sharpener.
(Lee Valley's got one for $20.)

Puckdropper