DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Woodworking gifts received (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/294759-woodworking-gifts-received.html)

DGDevin December 25th 09 07:32 PM

Woodworking gifts received

My wife (who has a keen eye) got me a dust-collection set for my router with
different hoods for different applications, and one of those electric
branding irons so I can sign my projects--a woman like that is a keeper!

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/s...oId=1363400009

SonomaProducts.com December 25th 09 07:48 PM

Woodworking gifts received

Most of the gifts I get are dust collectors, except for the Incra 6"
precision T-Rule my daughters got me. Love these things.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/s...rojects/holida...

RonB[_2_] December 25th 09 07:54 PM

On Dec 25, 1:32*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
My wife (who has a keen eye) got me a dust-collection set for my router with
different hoods for different applications, and one of those electric
branding irons so I can sign my projects--a woman like that is a keeper!

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/s...rojects/holida...

Yep. I have been married to one of those for 42 years. I ended up
wearing down my 14 year old Ryobi 11-1/4" planer while building and
trimming our new home. Now SHE is bound and determined I am going to
get a new Grizzly G0453 15" machine to replace it!

One of my pet peeves is women who constantly put their men down
because they can't do anything with their hands.......and bitch
everytime the guy even mentions buying a tool.

RonB

krw[_5_] December 25th 09 08:31 PM

Woodworking gifts received

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 11:54:08 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

On Dec 25, 1:32*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
My wife (who has a keen eye) got me a dust-collection set for my router with
different hoods for different applications, and one of those electric
branding irons so I can sign my projects--a woman like that is a keeper!

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/s...rojects/holida...

Yep. I have been married to one of those for 42 years. I ended up
wearing down my 14 year old Ryobi 11-1/4" planer while building and
trimming our new home. Now SHE is bound and determined I am going to
get a new Grizzly G0453 15" machine to replace it!

SWMBO bought me a DW735 a couple of years ago. Well, she gave me the
gift certificate, anyway.

One of my pet peeves is women who constantly put their men down
because they can't do anything with their hands.......and bitch
everytime the guy even mentions buying a tool.

Mine never bitches about tools and rarely about unfinished projects
(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue). Good thing,
because I would have given her plenty to bitch about. Maybe there's a
reason we've kept them around (38 years, in my case). ;-)

Peter Huebner December 25th 09 08:37 PM

Woodworking gifts received

In article ,
lid says...

My wife (who has a keen eye) got me a dust-collection set for my router with
different hoods for different applications, and one of those electric
branding irons so I can sign my projects--a woman like that is a keeper!

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

Lucky sod. My wife got a chainsaw grin - well she asked for one a week
ago. So that's some kind of woodworking tool.

I, on the other hand, got sweet F.A. and that's been the rule for a
number of years now .... wistful lopsided grin.

Some people just don't know how to keep a relationship alive, but at
least she's starting to become a decent fencer after a 10 year
apprenticeship and will, mayhap, start attacking some windfalls in the
future once she gets the hang of her new toy ...

-P.

DGDevin December 25th 09 08:42 PM

"krw" wrote in message

One of my pet peeves is women who constantly put their men down
because they can't do anything with their hands.......and bitch
everytime the guy even mentions buying a tool.

Mine never bitches about tools and rarely about unfinished projects
(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue). Good thing,
because I would have given her plenty to bitch about. Maybe there's a
reason we've kept them around (38 years, in my case). ;-)

My wife lavishes praise on everything I build whether it deserves it or not.
She also helps without complaint when I need an extra set of hands to
assemble something. And she not only doesn't object when I buy tools (she
knows any big-ticket item I buy has been heavily researched) but sometimes
she suggests getting something I'm just eye-balling. Imagine being married
to someone who wants to know why we're leaving the Grizzly store without
buying something that plugs into the wall? I must have been a really good
person in a previous life to deserve someone like her....

allen476 December 25th 09 08:45 PM

On Dec 25, 2:54*pm, RonB wrote:
[...]

Mine doesn't complain at all. She does the "do you NEED it or do you
WANT it" question but if she sees that I need it, I can usually get
it. I did get a WoodWorker 2 and a Ridgid jointer for Christmas this
year so I can't complain.

Allen

RonB[_2_] December 25th 09 08:52 PM

Woodworking gifts received

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Uhhhh...Yeah there IS that! ;^}

krw[_5_] December 25th 09 09:13 PM

Woodworking gifts received

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 12:42:35 -0800, "DGDevin"
wrote:

"krw" wrote in message
.. .

One of my pet peeves is women who constantly put their men down
because they can't do anything with their hands.......and bitch
everytime the guy even mentions buying a tool.

Mine never bitches about tools and rarely about unfinished projects
(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue). Good thing,
because I would have given her plenty to bitch about. Maybe there's a
reason we've kept them around (38 years, in my case). ;-)

My wife lavishes praise on everything I build whether it deserves it or not.

Same.

She also helps without complaint when I need an extra set of hands to
assemble something.

She won't help - at all. I yelled at her once, thirty years ago, when
the RAS was binding. She was "helping" a bit too much (there can only
be one driver).

And she not only doesn't object when I buy tools (she
knows any big-ticket item I buy has been heavily researched) but sometimes
she suggests getting something I'm just eye-balling. Imagine being married
to someone who wants to know why we're leaving the Grizzly store without
buying something that plugs into the wall? I must have been a really good
person in a previous life to deserve someone like her....

Never been to a Grizzly store, but ditto.

Lew Hodgett[_6_] December 25th 09 09:36 PM

Somebody wrote:

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Started my career working for the National Carbon Division of Union
Carbide.

This was a place that made things from graphite.

As a result, there was graphite dust all over the place even with dust
collection and motorized sweepers.

The graphite dust would get all over your shoes and into the pores of
your skin.

Had a pair of shoes that never left the plant.

Had a 2nd pair that were used for commuting from home to the plant and
back.

Once at home, it was time for street shoes.

It worked for me.

Lew

Lee Michaels December 25th 09 09:37 PM

Woodworking gifts received

"RonB" wrote

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Uhhhh...Yeah there IS that! ;^}

Reminds me of trying to rent a house years ago and mentioning that I would
put woodworking tools in the basement. The owner (female) recoiled in
horror and asked, "Would you be making sawdust?" When I told her yes, she
started screaming and chased us out of the house. Apparently, to her,
sawdust was the ultimate evil.

Robatoy[_2_] December 25th 09 10:05 PM

Woodworking gifts received

On Dec 25, 4:37*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"RonB" wrote

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Uhhhh...Yeah there IS that! * ;^}

Reminds me of trying to rent a house years ago and mentioning that I would
put woodworking tools in the basement. *The owner (female) recoiled in
horror and asked, "Would you be making sawdust?" *When I told her yes, she
started screaming and chased us out of the house. Apparently, to her,
sawdust was the ultimate evil.

Stuff won't even burn. How evil is that???

I received a wonderful present. Planet Earth on Blu-ray.
I have all the tools I need. Need. There are still some I desire. What
I need, I have.

Oh.. and a Blu-ray player to go with it. And a few new Blu-ray discs.
Clapton & Winwood.... should be nice.
And Angela bought me a plasma.

See ya`ll in a bit. *S*

Han December 25th 09 10:11 PM

Woodworking gifts received

Robatoy wrote in
:

snip

Oh.. and a Blu-ray player to go with it. And a few new Blu-ray discs.
Clapton & Winwood.... should be nice.
And Angela bought me a plasma.

See ya`ll in a bit. *S*

Wat jammer ... I really feel for you evil grin

--
Best regards
Han

Robatoy[_2_] December 25th 09 10:47 PM

Woodworking gifts received

On Dec 25, 5:11*pm, Han wrote:
Robatoy wrote :

snip

Oh.. and a Blu-ray player to go with it. And a few new Blu-ray discs.
Clapton & Winwood.... should be nice.
And Angela bought me a plasma.

See ya`ll in a bit. *S*

Wat jammer ... *I really feel for you evil grin

Yup! especially when you factor in the tough decisions between the
Armangnac and the single malt to go with the Montecristo number 3.

I wouldn`t want to do this more than once a year.... jus` wouldn`t be
special anymore.

[email protected] December 25th 09 11:48 PM

Woodworking gifts received

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 14:47:16 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

I wouldn`t want to do this more than once a year.... jus` wouldn`t be
special anymore.

Don't know about everybody else, but after a five week stint in the
hospital and coming home for good yesterday, I've decided to give
myself Lee Valley's plow plane with five blades for my Christmas
present. And I think I've earned it. Might as well take advantage of
LV's free shipping that's on right now.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,230,41182

Robatoy[_2_] December 25th 09 11:54 PM

wrote:
I wouldn`t want to do this more than once a year.... jus` wouldn`t be
special anymore.

Don't know about everybody else, but after a five week stint in the
hospital and coming home for good yesterday, I've decided to give
myself Lee Valley's plow plane with five blades for my Christmas
present. And I think I've earned it. Might as well take advantage of
LV's free shipping that's on right now.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,230,41182

Dude!! I didn't know anything was amiss. Glad to see you back!
BTW... hospitals suck... they're full of sick people. Stay away from
there!

Merry Christmas!!!

Lew Hodgett[_6_] December 26th 09 12:03 AM

wrote:

Don't know about everybody else, but after a five week stint in the
hospital and coming home for good yesterday, I've decided to give
myself Lee Valley's plow plane with five blades for my Christmas
present. And I think I've earned it

As someone who spent most of the first qtr of 09 either in the
hospital or rehab, I can relate.

Hope 10 is better for you.

Lew

krw[_5_] December 26th 09 12:11 AM

Woodworking gifts received

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:36:52 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Somebody wrote:

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Started my career working for the National Carbon Division of Union
Carbide.

This was a place that made things from graphite.

As a result, there was graphite dust all over the place even with dust
collection and motorized sweepers.

The graphite dust would get all over your shoes and into the pores of
your skin.

Had a pair of shoes that never left the plant.

Had a 2nd pair that were used for commuting from home to the plant and
back.

Once at home, it was time for street shoes.

It worked for me.

I leave a pair of old shoes by the garage door and another by the
entrance to the room over the garage. and *try* to slip them off every
time I come in, but sometimes...

[email protected] December 26th 09 12:15 AM

Woodworking gifts received

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 15:54:19 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
Dude!! I didn't know anything was amiss. Glad to see you back!
BTW... hospitals suck... they're full of sick people. Stay away from
there!

Merry Christmas!!!

You got that right. Left on my own despite the objections of the
hospital physio department. Damned if I was going to spend Christmas
and new year's in a hospital, not if I could do anything about it, so
I did..

Merry Christmas and a great New Year's to you too. Quaff a few
Erdingers for me will you?

[email protected] December 26th 09 12:16 AM

Woodworking gifts received

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 16:03:06 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
As someone who spent most of the first qtr of 09 either in the
hospital or rehab, I can relate.

Hope 10 is better for you.

Thanks Lew. Just the fact that I'm home now means that 10 will start
off good. Best of the season to you too.

Dave

Han December 26th 09 01:56 AM

Woodworking gifts received

wrote in news:tclaj5l5lu2hqopfu4ht7uoei2dmmgj3db@
4ax.com:

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 16:03:06 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
As someone who spent most of the first qtr of 09 either in the
hospital or rehab, I can relate.

Hope 10 is better for you.

Thanks Lew. Just the fact that I'm home now means that 10 will start
off good. Best of the season to you too.

Dave

Best wishes to you Dave, and to you too Lew!

--
Best regards
Han

Robatoy[_2_] December 26th 09 02:42 AM

On Dec 25, 7:15*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 15:54:19 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Dude!! I didn't know anything was amiss. Glad to see you back!
BTW... hospitals suck... they're full of sick people. Stay away from
there!

Merry Christmas!!!

You got that right. Left on my own despite the objections of the
hospital physio department. Damned if I was going to spend Christmas
and new year's in a hospital, not if I could do anything about it, so
I did..

Merry Christmas and a great New Year's to you too. Quaff a few
Erdingers for me will you?

To Er is Dinger, to quaff is divine.
3 bucks for a half liter is premium, but the only beer that's worth
it...but only sometimes. It is not a regular maintenance beer.
My life is like that. I enjoy a good burger, but once in a while I
need filet mignon. Once in a while I need to rent a Porsche or an
Arnage. That kind of stuff is a lot of fun, but who wants to have to
keep it maintained and insured...and get nailed with that insane
depreciation? Speaking of maintenance... I think Tiger Woods is about
to find out what that's all about. G

DGDevin December 26th 09 03:43 AM

"DGDevin" wrote in message

My wife (who has a keen eye) got me a dust-collection set for my router
with different hoods for different applications, and one of those electric
branding irons so I can sign my projects--a woman like that is a keeper!

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/photos/s...oId=1363400009

Oh yeah, I forgot the box-set of Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, that's the
only woodworking gift I actually suggested.

Ed Pawlowski December 26th 09 04:28 AM

wrote:
On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 15:54:19 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
Dude!! I didn't know anything was amiss. Glad to see you back!
BTW... hospitals suck... they're full of sick people. Stay away from
there!

Merry Christmas!!!

You got that right. Left on my own despite the objections of the
hospital physio department. Damned if I was going to spend Christmas
and new year's in a hospital, not if I could do anything about it, so
I did..

Merry Christmas and a great New Year's to you too. Quaff a few
Erdingers for me will you?

I hope that you stay home now. Good luck in '10

Larry Jaques December 26th 09 04:48 AM

Woodworking gifts received

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 16:37:15 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

"RonB" wrote

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Uhhhh...Yeah there IS that! ;^}

Reminds me of trying to rent a house years ago and mentioning that I would
put woodworking tools in the basement. The owner (female) recoiled in
horror and asked, "Would you be making sawdust?" When I told her yes, she
started screaming and chased us out of the house. Apparently, to her,
sawdust was the ultimate evil.

You were darned lucky to learn that BEFORE you moved in, huh? Whew!

--
REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind,
the more time you'll have to catch up!

Puckdropper[_2_] December 26th 09 06:56 AM

Woodworking gifts received

Peter Huebner wrote in
t:

Lucky sod. My wife got a chainsaw grin - well she asked for one a
week ago. So that's some kind of woodworking tool.

My Mum said "I want a power screwdriver that is all mine. Not anyone
else's." She's not getting my Makitas, but I found her a nice Panasonic
for Christmas.

I'll have to borrow it once to see why it's a favorite brand here. ;-)

Puckdropper

Hoosierpopi December 26th 09 03:55 PM

On Dec 25, 2:32*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

I found a bin at LOwes with a pile of 4-inch "Vise Grips," albeit
Lowes brand and grabbed the three left at $1.98 each. Then, I cut a
pattern guide out of some thin material and used it to rout out a hole
that just fit the little pliers in three chunks of 3/4-inch Mahogany.
Then, I planed down an old (1960 era) piece of "barn wood" that had
some nice figuring and routed out a rectangular opening so as to form
a cover or top for the tool encapsulating Mahogany base into which I
cut a rabbit on all four sides so the bottom section fit nicely into
the Barn Wood top. Putting the two pieces together, I trimmed all four
sides on the table saw, then sanded and finished the little boxes.

I gave them as gifts to a couple of buddies and to my son-in-law.
Nothing great, somewhat of a "gag gift," but fun to make and give. And
at a cost that was hardly noticed.

Not so impressive as the umbrella stand - nice piece - but an idea for
next year maybe.

Roy December 26th 09 05:28 PM

Woodworking gifts received

On 26 Dec 2009 06:56:43 GMT, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Peter Huebner wrote in
et:

My Mum said "I want a power screwdriver that is all mine. Not anyone
else's." She's not getting my Makitas, but I found her a nice Panasonic
for Christmas.

I'll have to borrow it once to see why it's a favorite brand here. ;-)

I bought a 12v Panasonic for SWMBO (a little slip of a thing) a couple years ago based on
recommendations here. I have not regretted it, and more importantly, neither has she. Your Mom
will like it, and you might find yourself wondering why you don't have one yourself.

Regards,
Roy

Robatoy[_2_] December 27th 09 12:35 AM

Woodworking gifts received

On Dec 25, 5:05*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 25, 4:37*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"RonB" wrote

(tracking sawdust into the house is another issue).

Uhhhh...Yeah there IS that! * ;^}

Reminds me of trying to rent a house years ago and mentioning that I would
put woodworking tools in the basement. *The owner (female) recoiled in
horror and asked, "Would you be making sawdust?" *When I told her yes, she
started screaming and chased us out of the house. Apparently, to her,
sawdust was the ultimate evil.

Stuff won't even burn. How evil is that???

I received a wonderful present. Planet Earth on Blu-ray.
I have all the tools I need. Need. There are still some I desire. What
I need, I have.

Oh.. and a Blu-ray player to go with it. And a few new Blu-ray discs.
Clapton & Winwood.... should be nice.
And Angela bought me a plasma.

See ya`ll in a bit. *S*

Theeeeen I scored a Cuisinart Convection Breadmaker.
I know absolutely diddly-squat 'bout those there breadmachines, but it
looks like it could be a hoot.

Han December 27th 09 01:32 AM

Woodworking gifts received

Robatoy wrote in
:

On Dec 25, 5:05*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 25, 4:37*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"RonB" wrote

[...]

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/party-rye-recipe
I replace half of the cracked wheat with wheat berriesand it's almost
like roggebrood.

--
Best regards
Han

[email protected] December 27th 09 06:56 AM

Woodworking gifts received

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:35:31 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
Theeeeen I scored a Cuisinart Convection Breadmaker.
I know absolutely diddly-squat 'bout those there breadmachines, but it
looks like it could be a hoot.

Be prepared to put on the weight. They make great bread and pizza
dough and stuff, but it's usually in amounts of a pound or two and
you'll pack on the weight. That's my only reason for not buying one.
I'm fat enough.

FrozenNorth[_4_] December 27th 09 03:04 PM

Woodworking gifts received

On 12/26/09 7:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 25, 5:05 pm, wrote:
On Dec 25, 4:37 pm, "Lee
wrote:

"RonB" wrote

[...]

I have one of those, it makes great bread, pizza dough etc.
Follow the recipes, they say it in there, but the order *really* is
important when adding the ingredients.

--
Froz...

Doug Winterburn December 27th 09 03:09 PM

Woodworking gifts received

On 12/26/2009 05:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 25, 5:05 pm, wrote:
On Dec 25, 4:37 pm, "Lee
wrote:

"RonB" wrote

[...]

They make really good bread. Next year you may need the lipo attachment
for your shop vac.

J. Clarke December 27th 09 03:53 PM

Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 12/26/2009 05:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 25, 5:05 pm, wrote:
On Dec 25, 4:37 pm, "Lee
wrote:

"RonB" wrote

[...]

Just a comment but if one doesn't like the look of the bread that comes out
of it, one can let the bread machine do all the grunt work and then move the
dough to another pan and bake it in the oven.

FrozenNorth[_4_] December 27th 09 04:34 PM

On 12/27/09 10:53 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 12/26/2009 05:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 25, 5:05 pm, wrote:
On Dec 25, 4:37 pm, "Lee
wrote:

"RonB" wrote

[...]

Absolutely, the loaf does have a funny shape, but let it do all the
kneading, rising, kneading, rising, etc. cycles.

--
Froz...

Leon[_6_] December 27th 09 05:28 PM

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Theeeeen I scored a Cuisinart Convection Breadmaker.
I know absolutely diddly-squat 'bout those there breadmachines, but it
looks like it could be a hoot.

All breadmakers have one major flaw. They all will make you FAT.

Lew Hodgett[_5_] December 27th 09 05:36 PM

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

Follow the recipes, they say it in there, but the order *really* is
important when adding the ingredients.

Cooking allows for some variation of a recipe, baking follows a
formula and does not.

Lew

Leon[_6_] December 27th 09 05:38 PM

Woodworking gifts received

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
Peter Huebner wrote in
t:

Lucky sod. My wife got a chainsaw grin - well she asked for one a
week ago. So that's some kind of woodworking tool.

My Mum said "I want a power screwdriver that is all mine. Not anyone
else's." She's not getting my Makitas, but I found her a nice Panasonic
for Christmas.

I'll have to borrow it once to see why it's a favorite brand here. ;-)

Puckdropper

I have had both Panasonic and Makita and they are/were my favorites of all
the other brands I have owned. You may want to give your Mum the Makita and
keep the Panasonic for yourself.

Robatoy[_2_] December 27th 09 05:45 PM

On Dec 27, 12:28*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Theeeeen I scored a Cuisinart Convection Breadmaker.
I know absolutely diddly-squat 'bout those there breadmachines, but it
looks like it could be a hoot.

All breadmakers have one major flaw. *They all will make you FAT.

..but, but, but it has recipes for glutton free breads... or am I
reading that wrong?

krw[_5_] December 27th 09 05:48 PM

Woodworking gifts received

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 09:36:29 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

Follow the recipes, they say it in there, but the order *really* is
important when adding the ingredients.

Cooking allows for some variation of a recipe, baking follows a
formula and does not.

Baking requires a very precise chemical reaction. Like other chemical
processes, the quantity and order of reactions is important. Baking
is essentially chemistry with an edible outcome.