Posted to rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default Woodworking gifts received

On Dec 25, 2:32*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:

The project I did as a Christmas gift for friends was also well-received,
now I'll have to drive up to their place and brand it.

I found a bin at LOwes with a pile of 4-inch "Vise Grips," albeit
Lowes brand and grabbed the three left at $1.98 each. Then, I cut a
pattern guide out of some thin material and used it to rout out a hole
that just fit the little pliers in three chunks of 3/4-inch Mahogany.
Then, I planed down an old (1960 era) piece of "barn wood" that had
some nice figuring and routed out a rectangular opening so as to form
a cover or top for the tool encapsulating Mahogany base into which I
cut a rabbit on all four sides so the bottom section fit nicely into
the Barn Wood top. Putting the two pieces together, I trimmed all four
sides on the table saw, then sanded and finished the little boxes.

I gave them as gifts to a couple of buddies and to my son-in-law.
Nothing great, somewhat of a "gag gift," but fun to make and give. And
at a cost that was hardly noticed.

Not so impressive as the umbrella stand - nice piece - but an idea for
next year maybe.