Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Radial arm saw versus 12" compund sliding miter saw question.

"Woody" wrote in message

snip

Not in the case of Dewalt 718 as the base has a plastic insert and turns
as you change the miter angle so there's no chance of hitting a metal
base.

Owner manual:
http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/docu...00%20DW718.pdf

on page 9, column 3 refers to it as a "grooving stop" whose purpose is to
limit the depth of a groove. Multiple grooves stopped at the same depth
provide a dado.

~Mark.

Keith would do well to get out more and look at the tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:57:36 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 13:53:13 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
dadiOH wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
Leon wrote:
But the stall happens after the blade has climbed up higher on
the cut. That will cause undue stress to something.

Only if the "something" is not properly designed to withstand
the "undue stress".

No one can design anything to withstand every type of "undue
stress" caused by idiots or the ill informed. Look at
computers...

Uh, we aren't talking about "every type of undue stress caused by
idiots or
the uninformed",

Uh, I thought we "were" talking about "idiot's" your word ;~)
using the wrong blade on a machine.

LOL. Try as you may, I doubt you will ever convince him his logic
is flawed.

What's flawed about the logic of expecting engineers to design tools
so that they don't destroy themselves in normal use?

Let me try to explain the major flaw in your logic. You said in an
earlier post "However if it cannot withstand without damage any force
that the motor can produce then it is a poorly designed piece of
crap."

With that mindset automotive engineers had to have known that there
would be an occasional accident with their products. Of course they
knew this. Then, by your logic they should have designed the cars,
should an accident occur, to need no repairs, right? Therefore, if
what you said had even the slightest bit of credibility you should be
able to explain the existence of automotive body shops.

Find me a car that breaks the driveshaft when you set the brakes and floor
the accelerator.

Please enlighten all of us as to why there are automotive body shops
or any other repair facility for anything. According to you, nothing
should break.

Nope, not an analogous situation.

But I'll bet you're a real good lawyer because it's the sort of argument
that one would come up with to get his bumbling incompetent of a client off
the hook because his POS tool self-destructs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Uh, we aren't talking about "every type of undue stress caused by
idiots or
the uninformed",

Uh, I thought we "were" talking about "idiot's" your word ;~)
using the wrong blade on a machine.

In what post did I make this statement? Perhaps you have me
confused with someone else?

You said,,

Uh, we aren't talking about "every type of undue stress caused by
idiots or the uninformed",

I said that I thought that we were talking about someone using the
wrong blade on a tool, which would possibly cause undue stress.

The message from which I cut and pasted the word "idiot" is
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...5ac8b5fd7cbb30

Now, would you care to apologize for putting words in my mouth?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On Dec 7, 2:23 pm, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

No, it's you who defends the ludicrous idea that blades cannot be
interchanged between saw types without "injuring" the iron.

I'm sure you are right.
I know I am. Please fix your newsreader.

fix what?

Not properly quoting the post you are responding to, it isn't offset by
''
or another generally accepted character.

Note, just pointing it out, in my opinion your knowledge of the subject
(woodworking) offsets this deficiency.
;-)

I was just poking the bee's nest again. ;~)

Poke away then.
;-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Find me a car that breaks the driveshaft when you set the brakes and floor
the accelerator.

Suggest another example. 07 Toyota 4WD Tundras are/were having drive shaft
problems. You simply had to drive as designed to have the drive shaft
break.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Uh, we aren't talking about "every type of undue stress caused by
idiots or
the uninformed",

Uh, I thought we "were" talking about "idiot's" your word ;~)
using the wrong blade on a machine.

In what post did I make this statement? Perhaps you have me
confused with someone else?

You said,,

Uh, we aren't talking about "every type of undue stress caused by
idiots or the uninformed",

I said that I thought that we were talking about someone using the
wrong blade on a tool, which would possibly cause undue stress.

The message from which I cut and pasted the word "idiot" is
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...5ac8b5fd7cbb30

Now, would you care to apologize for putting words in my mouth?

No I dont think so. I was not trying to fault you. Were you not the one
that mentioned idiot?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
dadiOH wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

There is no end to your narrow-mindedness.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
dadiOH wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Expecting a reasonable level of competence from engineers is not "narrow
mindedness" except in your little liability-lawyer world.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 08:21:03 -0600, "Leon"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:40:13 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Woody" wrote in message

snip

Not in the case of Dewalt 718 as the base has a plastic insert and turns
as you change the miter angle so there's no chance of hitting a metal
base.

Owner manual:
http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/docu...00%20DW718.pdf

on page 9, column 3 refers to it as a "grooving stop" whose purpose is to
limit the depth of a groove. Multiple grooves stopped at the same depth
provide a dado.

~Mark.

Keith would do well to get out more and look at the tools.

....yah, I own the first iteration of that saw and it's still working
well after, oh, a dozen years? You guys are sure geeking the heck out
of this topic...it's really very simple and just as Leon, and myself,
have described.

Now, let's get something done, eh?

cg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
On Dec 7, 11:58 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
krw wrote:
Oh, good grief. Do you always keep your rip blade on your table
saw?

Yes, as a matter of fact. That's because 90% of what I do on it is
ripping...that's what table saws were designed for.

That may be what they're best at but hardly all they were designed
for. I suppose yours doesn't have a miter slot either.

Yeah, it has a miter slot. Damned useless when I want to chop of 2'
from an 8' x6"x2" piece of oak.

What you need is a better miter gauge or sled. ;~) I was doing
almost that a couple of weeks ago. 2, 1x6 oak 8' long with 2 more
the same size clamped in front. Basically I had a 2x12. I needed
all to be exactly the same length. I clamped all the pieces together
so that they would not slip and then clamped the group to my miter
gauge. A friend arrived as I was getting ready to make the cut. I told
him
to not try this at home. All went well, no excitement and I ended
with what I expected.

Glad it worked out for you

I do have a dandy sled, BTW, use it mostly for trimming panels up tp 3'x5',
no good for long stuff as I have insufficient room for long stock to hang
off the table; NP, I just plop it down on my RAS. If I didn't have that,
I'd use saw horses and a circular saw. Where there is a will there is a way

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Groh" wrote in message
I use that function regularly, as I will take a 1x or 3/4 ply long
ripper and use it like a table (I have my SCMS set up in a holder with
a wood/laminate support on either side, so I can securely attach a
temporary "table" if I need to) and, naturally, don't want to cut
through it. I've also done a quick dado or two or three...nothing
really precise, gate stuff and such...

cg

Now that I have a cabinet saw I get great cross cut results and my CMS
seldom sees any action any more. If I were to upgrade to a slider I make
certain that it was one with a depth of cut stop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Groh" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:40:13 -0600, "Leon"

Keith would do well to get out more and look at the tools.

...yah, I own the first iteration of that saw and it's still working
well after, oh, a dozen years? You guys are sure geeking the heck out
of this topic...it's really very simple and just as Leon, and myself,
have described.

Now, let's get something done, eh?

cg

There are several posters here that seem to know a lot about this or that
subject, according to what they have read from a source that may be way
outdated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 19:00:24 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

.

Depth of cut adjustment?

Most major brand SCMS have a dept of cut adjustment so that the blade will
only go down a predetermined distance.

Item 1.4 on this pdf
http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/kapex_ks_120.pdf

First we had Chinglish. Get a load of this Germglish. Cute, but not
on a $700 chop saw, thanks. "Open the screws."

Page 7, stopper Arm
http://www.makita.com/en-us/Assets/I...LS1214L_OM.pdf

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 07:05:54 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
for Forrest?

They have different blades (hook angles) for different saws. In the
self destruct test I described above, that was to simulate what could
happen on a RAS if the wrong blade was used and it could result in the
blade being pulled into the work more aggressively than the operator
was expecting.

And how does that "injure the tools"?

Try to visualize a blade pulling too aggressively into a board and actually
climbing higher in the cut. I saw it happen a few times with my old RAS
30+ years ago. Typically the motor blade assy. tries to climb up on top of
the board, stalls and becomes lodged in that position. Naturally the arm,
shaft or base gives as the blade climbs up higher in the cut. This repeated
action will weaken and eventually damage the saw.

This can easily happen with the correct blade, this is the nature of the
beast, but with the wrong blade the situation can be aggravated.

With a RAS, climb cutting is a reality. With a SCMS, the blade comes
down and is pushed into the board at the opposite angle, preventing
any binding that happens on a RAS.

BTW, I uses a RAS for the very first time last week, after my client
doused my little chop saw with the hose.

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem
important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
-- Thomas J. Watson

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:06:01 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"
scrawled the following:

dadiOH wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
Leon wrote:
But the stall happens after the blade has climbed up higher on the
cut. That will cause undue stress to something.

Only if the "something" is not properly designed to withstand the
"undue stress".

No one can design anything to withstand every type of "undue stress"
caused by idiots or the ill informed. Look at computers...

Uh, we aren't talking about "every type of undue stress caused by idiots or
the uninformed", we are talking about an obvious kind of stress that any
engineer should expect to be encountered by the saw during normal operation.
They know what motor they put on it, they know how much torque it produces,
they know the moment arm, they know the ramp angle, from that it's easy to
calculate how much stress it's going to put on the arm if it stalls.

Ah, but you forget that the marketing and bean counter types are also
involved. Either one easily negates any sane and/or valid engineering
input. sigh

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem
important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
-- Thomas J. Watson
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Snip

Item 1.4 on this pdf
http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/kapex_ks_120.pdf

First we had Chinglish. Get a load of this Germglish. Cute, but not
on a $700 chop saw, thanks. "Open the screws."

Festool is like "Crack". Once you toush it you can't leave it alone. ;~)

I just tried out their 75mm Circular saw and track. Swaeeeeeeeeeet

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Snip

Item 1.4 on this pdf
http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/kapex_ks_120.pdf

First we had Chinglish. Get a load of this Germglish. Cute, but not
on a $700 chop saw, thanks. "Open the screws."

Festool is like "Crack". Once you toush it you can't leave it alone. ;~)

I just tried out their 75mm Circular saw and track. Swaeeeeeeeeeet

Let go of the trigger and back away slowly from the Festool!

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
Leon wrote:

Festool is like "Crack". Once you toush it you can't leave it alone.
;~)

I just tried out their 75mm Circular saw and track. Swaeeeeeeeeeet

Let go of the trigger and back away slowly from the Festool!

Too late ... I was there, but he was hooked already.

BTW, Leon would make a helluva drug dealer, now I'm hooked too!

Just like I told my kids, be careful who you hang out with!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:33:49 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Charlie Groh" wrote in message
I use that function regularly, as I will take a 1x or 3/4 ply long
ripper and use it like a table (I have my SCMS set up in a holder with
a wood/laminate support on either side, so I can securely attach a
temporary "table" if I need to) and, naturally, don't want to cut
through it. I've also done a quick dado or two or three...nothing
really precise, gate stuff and such...

cg

Now that I have a cabinet saw I get great cross cut results and my CMS
seldom sees any action any more. If I were to upgrade to a slider I make
certain that it was one with a depth of cut stop.

....my shop is the size of a garage and my 66 takes up alot of
space...I use the SCMS for bulk-cutting and the occasional miter,
comes in really handy for "outside" work, it amounts to what my RAS
would do if I had one (and it's on wheels)! When I do close-tolerance
work I'll do my cross-cutting on the TS, most always...the depth stop
on the SCMS comes in *very* handy. So much of my work is time related
'cause it's my business...

I love it when I get to play around, but it hardly ever
happens...sniff...

cg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:18:43 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
Snip

Item 1.4 on this pdf
http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/kapex_ks_120.pdf

First we had Chinglish. Get a load of this Germglish. Cute, but not
on a $700 chop saw, thanks. "Open the screws."

Festool is like "Crack". Once you toush it you can't leave it alone. ;~)

I just tried out their 75mm Circular saw and track. Swaeeeeeeeeeet

Yabbut, unless you're a millionaire...

You'd think that, at the price they get for these things, they'd at
least have proper translations for the manuals. The one for the chop
saw is 135 pages long. It contains 13 pages of untexted illustrations
+ 11 pages of instructions/warnings...in each of 'lebenty seven
languages.

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem
important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
-- Thomas J. Watson
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Snip

I just tried out their 75mm Circular saw and track. Swaeeeeeeeeeet

Yabbut, unless you're a millionaire...

You'd think that, at the price they get for these things, they'd at
least have proper translations for the manuals. The one for the chop
saw is 135 pages long. It contains 13 pages of untexted illustrations
+ 11 pages of instructions/warnings...in each of 'lebenty seven
languages.

We "millionares" can figger it out, right Swingman? LOL

With Festool the manual is something you read at night when it is too dark
to work with the tool. It is not really necessary. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Radial arm saw versus 12" compund sliding miter saw question- & Festool

Leon wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Snip

I just tried out their 75mm Circular saw and track. Swaeeeeeeeeeet

Yabbut, unless you're a millionaire...

You'd think that, at the price they get for these things, they'd at
least have proper translations for the manuals. The one for the chop
saw is 135 pages long. It contains 13 pages of untexted illustrations
+ 11 pages of instructions/warnings...in each of 'lebenty seven
languages.

We "millionares" can figger it out, right Swingman? LOL

Far from being a millionaire, but I now own three Festool tools ... and
that's going to change, probably again today.

I'm about convinced a Rotex is in order for annual end of year "buy a
tool or give it to the government" exercise.

Festool quality reminds of the 50's "Made in USA" ... but there is
nothing like it in the USA today. Anything I consider not an expendable
item in the shop will be on the order of Festool, Fein, Veritas, Omer,
et al, if I can swing it.

Tools seem to be a good barometer of the decline of this particular
period in our culture ... "Made in USA", as far as tools go, is
predominately nothing but a crock of **** today.

With Festool the manual is something you read at night when it is too dark
to work with the tool. It is not really necessary. ;~)

Haven't had to read a Festool manual yet for operations, except briefly
for the diagram that familiarizes you with the various knobs and dials
.... operation is nothing but intuitive for anyone with a basic
familiarity with tools.

Even the plunge saw requires only a few minutes with the manual before
making NO, or hardly any, sawdust.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:54:40 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
Snip

I just tried out their 75mm Circular saw and track. Swaeeeeeeeeeet

Yabbut, unless you're a millionaire...

You'd think that, at the price they get for these things, they'd at
least have proper translations for the manuals. The one for the chop
saw is 135 pages long. It contains 13 pages of untexted illustrations
+ 11 pages of instructions/warnings...in each of 'lebenty seven
languages.

We "millionares" can figger it out, right Swingman? LOL

With Festool the manual is something you read at night when it is too dark
to work with the tool. It is not really necessary. ;~)

Nuttin' like curling up with a good...manual? OK, if you say so,
Leon. titter

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 8, 2:55*pm, Swingman wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
Leon wrote:

Festool is like "Crack". *Once you touch it you can't leave it alone.. *
;~)

I just tried out their 75mmCircular saw and track. * Swaeeeeeeeeeet

Let go of the trigger and back away slowly from the Festool!

Too late ... I was there, but he was hooked already.

BTW, Leon would make a helluva drug dealer, now I'm hooked too!

Just like I told my kids, be careful who you hang out with!

I just got the Festool Trion jigsaw in the mail today - took one cut,
checked out how easy it is to swap blades, cut square as can be,
systainer. Sheesh. The first one isn't free, but Festool is
definitely a drug. I'm beginning to understand why people buy the
older Festool catalogs on eBay.

Anyone want to buy my Dewalt jigsaw? Thing's like new.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:

I just got the Festool Trion jigsaw in the mail today - took one cut,
checked out how easy it is to swap blades, cut square as can be,
systainer. Sheesh. The first one isn't free, but Festool is
definitely a drug. I'm beginning to understand why people buy the
older Festool catalogs on eBay.

Feel your pain ... my first is a TS 75, guaranteeing the slide down that
slippery slope is past the point of no return.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message

I just got the Festool Trion jigsaw in the mail today - took one cut,
checked out how easy it is to swap blades, cut square as can be,
systainer. Sheesh. The first one isn't free, but Festool is
definitely a drug. I'm beginning to understand why people buy the
older Festool catalogs on eBay.

Anyone want to buy my Dewalt jigsaw? Thing's like new.

You are the first that I have heard about buying the jig saw. Glad to hear
that it too has as good of a first feelings report as the sanders, saws,
vacuums, dominos, SCMS, router, hand planers.....

I don't know if you have the Festool vac or not but if you do and hook it up
to the jig saw let us know how well it contains the dust.

It is a slippery slope.