Posted to rec.woodworking
aadeanb

Default 8.5" Hitachi sliding miter saw: can it really cut a 1" by 12"?

I'm considering buying Hitachi's 8.5" SCM saw... most who have one seem
to be happy with it. Literature seems to claim that a 1x12 lying flat
and cut at 0 degrees (or 90, depending on your point of view) can be
done without flipping the board over ... can anyone verify that?
One of the jobs I have in mind is a good bit of basic shelf building
using alot of 1x12's and smaller stuff.

I'll probably buy one anyway, but I'd like to know what to expect.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"aadeanb" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm considering buying Hitachi's 8.5" SCM saw... most who have one seem
to be happy with it. Literature seems to claim that a 1x12 lying flat
and cut at 0 degrees (or 90, depending on your point of view) can be
done without flipping the board over ... can anyone verify that?
One of the jobs I have in mind is a good bit of basic shelf building
using alot of 1x12's and smaller stuff.

I'll probably buy one anyway, but I'd like to know what to expect.

Umm If it says that it will cut a 1x12 I strongly suspect that it will. I
wonder if it really has a 8.5" blade.

Basically, if it will not cut a 1x12, take it back.

Posted to rec.woodworking
TwoThousandand EightyNineDEAD

You're as much help as the worthless no value ass you are! Are you and Leon
retarded Siamese mongoloid twins separated at birth?

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message news:89d3g.14109
Umm If it says that it will cut a 1x12 I strongly suspect that it will.
wonder if it really has a 8.5" blade.

Basically, if it will not cut a 1x12, take it back.

Hell, two minutes in a store with a tape measure will confirm what it will
cut. Considering what sliding miters cost, I'd sure be examining one in
person if I had any doubts at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S

My BIL has a Hitachi SCMS with an 8.something blade. I assume it's the same
saw. If the spec says it will cut a 1x12, then I see no reason to believe
otherwise.

It is a very sweet tool.

-Steve

"aadeanb" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm considering buying Hitachi's 8.5" SCM saw... most who have one seem
to be happy with it. Literature seems to claim that a 1x12 lying flat
and cut at 0 degrees (or 90, depending on your point of view) can be
done without flipping the board over ... can anyone verify that?
One of the jobs I have in mind is a good bit of basic shelf building
using alot of 1x12's and smaller stuff.

I'll probably buy one anyway, but I'd like to know what to expect.

Posted to rec.woodworking
marson

I've had one for 10 years. yes it cuts a 1x12.

Posted to rec.woodworking
aadeanb

Haven't found one in a store or I'd have done that.

Posted to rec.woodworking
aadeanb

Super. Thanks. I just found it hard to believe when most of the 10"
ones out there only claim about the same max.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

aadeanb wrote:
Super. Thanks. I just found it hard to believe when most of the 10"
ones out there only claim about the same max.

Given that it's a slider, the width of cut can be totally independent of
blade size.

However, a 10" would be able to cut thicker material (about 3/4"
thicker, or half the difference in blade diameter).

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"aadeanb" wrote in message
oups.com...
Super. Thanks. I just found it hard to believe when most of the 10"
ones out there only claim about the same max.

Keep in mind that the one you are looking at is probably spec'ed out to what
is indicated on the box. With that however a 10 year old saw has probably
changed design some what and may or may not have the same spec.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Why? Is there some rule about how long the rail has to be on one of these?

oups.com...