Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default breadboard ends

What is the wreck's opinion on how wide a breadboard end can be on a kitchen
table? I'm looking to add length, but don't want proportions to look bad.
Overall, the table will be 6'9" by 3'6"

tia,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 11, 10:18*am, "Joe" wrote:
What is the wreck's opinion on how wide a breadboard end can be on a kitchen
table? *I'm looking to add length, but don't want proportions to look bad.
Overall, the table will be 6'9" by 3'6"

tia,

jc

I usually see them about 3 - 5", depending on the size of the top.
This is pretty subjective as you only NEED to make it wide enough to
keep the ends of the boards on the top in line without distortion if
movement occurs. In other words, the width and thickness only need to
be stout enough to control board movement and the rest is cosmetic.

When in doubt, sometimes a visual aid helps. I would cut a mock end
from cardboard and lay it across the table to determine the most
aesthetically pleasing width.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

wrote in message
On Sep 11, 10:18 am, "Joe" wrote:
What is the wreck's opinion on how wide a breadboard end can be on a
kitchen
table? I'm looking to add length, but don't want proportions to look bad.
Overall, the table will be 6'9" by 3'6"

tia,

jc

I usually see them about 3 - 5", depending on the size of the top.
This is pretty subjective as you only NEED to make it wide enough to
keep the ends of the boards on the top in line without distortion if
movement occurs. In other words, the width and thickness only need to
be stout enough to control board movement and the rest is cosmetic.

When in doubt, sometimes a visual aid helps. I would cut a mock end
from cardboard and lay it across the table to determine the most
aesthetically pleasing width.

Robert

Robert,

Thanks. I'm definitely thinking toward the upper end of that range. I
don't want to go too wide, since that edge is what the table gets lifted by
to move it, but then again, this table won't be moved much, if ever.
Aesthetics rule, I guess.

thanks again,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

No hard and fast rule I am aware of. I try to read all the design
standards type articles I see and archive many of them but don't
recall this ever being discussed. Yeah 3-5" seems in the typical
range. I would look for some symmetry from elsewhere in the design.
Maybe equal to the depth of the apron, or equal to the width of the
joined boards that make up the top or some multiple or golden
rectangle ratio (1: 1.618) from elsewhere in the design like the width
of the legs.

It seems to me that linking elements in this manner always helps hold
the asthetic together.

On Sep 11, 8:18*am, "Joe" wrote:
What is the wreck's opinion on how wide a breadboard end can be on a kitchen
table? *I'm looking to add length, but don't want proportions to look bad.
Overall, the table will be 6'9" by 3'6"

tia,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
No hard and fast rule I am aware of. I try to read all the design
standards type articles I see and archive many of them but don't
recall this ever being discussed. Yeah 3-5" seems in the typical
range. I would look for some symmetry from elsewhere in the design.
Maybe equal to the depth of the apron, or equal to the width of the
joined boards that make up the top or some multiple or golden
rectangle ratio (1: 1.618) from elsewhere in the design like the width
of the legs.

It seems to me that linking elements in this manner always helps hold
the asthetic together.

Won't argue with that all but he may want to consider an alternative
idea. I made a tabletop for my sister's country kitchen from some
really, really old planks they had. Table was 7' x 4' but it needed
something...

I edged the table with walnut all around using twice the width for the
breadboards (6" wide) and it really popped the overall looks. If I
remember correctly I got that idea from FWW in an article they had
about French Country table design several years back.

More important than the looks are the mortise and tenon's you make for
holding the breadboard to the table. Be sure to account for the fact
that the table will expand and contract and the bread-board ends will
not. On a 4' width (of an unknown hardwood) that I used, the amount
was about 1/8" total (1/16" per side) difference. I built it while it
was humid and the table shrinks a total of 1/8" in width during the
winter.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

I edged the table with walnut all around using twice the width for the
breadboards (6" wide) and it really popped the overall looks. If I
remember correctly I got that idea from FWW in an article they had about
French Country table design several years back.

More important than the looks are the mortise and tenon's you make for
holding the breadboard to the table. Be sure to account for the fact that
the table will expand and contract and the bread-board ends will not. On
a 4' width (of an unknown hardwood) that I used, the amount was about 1/8"
total (1/16" per side) difference. I built it while it was humid and the
table shrinks a total of 1/8" in width during the winter.

Bob S.

Good info, thanks Bob.

6" was what I was thinking, mostly to build up the length of the table, but
wasn't sure if it would look 'good'. Glad yours turned out to be such a
success. exp/cont, I'm pinning the center of the breadboard twice: 4"
on either side of the centerline, then pinning the ends in an elongated hole
to allow movement.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:18:15 GMT, the infamous "Joe"
scrawled the following:

What is the wreck's opinion on how wide a breadboard end can be on a kitchen
table? I'm looking to add length, but don't want proportions to look bad.
Overall, the table will be 6'9" by 3'6"

I'd go with 3'6", Joe. gd&wvvf

---
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/30/2009 08:25 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:18:15 GMT, the infamous "Joe"
scrawled the following:

What is the wreck's opinion on how wide a breadboard end can be on a kitchen
table? I'm looking to add length, but don't want proportions to look bad.
Overall, the table will be 6'9" by 3'6"

I'd go with 3'6"

You're a bad, bad man.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:18:15 GMT, the infamous "Joe"

scrawled the following:

What is the wreck's opinion on how wide a breadboard end can be
on a kitchen
table? I'm looking to add length, but don't want proportions to
look bad.
Overall, the table will be 6'9" by 3'6"

I'd go with 3'6", Joe. gd&wvvf

---

A good default ratio is the golden mean.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?
Have a nice day ..

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Nonny" wrote in message

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:18:15 GMT, the infamous "Joe"
scrawled the following:

What is the wreck's opinion on how wide a breadboard end can be on a
kitchen
table? I'm looking to add length, but don't want proportions to look
bad.
Overall, the table will be 6'9" by 3'6"

I'd go with 3'6", Joe. gd&wvvf

---

A good default ratio is the golden mean.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

--
Nonny

I know about the golden mean. can you elaborate on the calculation you'd
use to get to the width of the breadboard end with this method? I guess I'm
not seeting how you'd apply it.

thanks

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message

A good default ratio is the golden mean.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

--
Nonny

I know about the golden mean. can you elaborate on the
calculation you'd use to get to the width of the breadboard end
with this method? I guess I'm not seeting how you'd apply it.

thanks

Joe, I was of the opinion you had the width worked out and the
overall length, less the ends was known as well. If I was doing
it, I'd take the width, multiply by 1.6 or 1.7, then subtract the
existing length and divide by 2.

--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?
Have a nice day ..

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Nonny" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message

A good default ratio is the golden mean.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

--
Nonny

I know about the golden mean. can you elaborate on the calculation you'd
use to get to the width of the breadboard end with this method? I guess
I'm not seeting how you'd apply it.

thanks

Joe, I was of the opinion you had the width worked out and the overall
length, less the ends was known as well. If I was doing it, I'd take the
width, multiply by 1.6 or 1.7, then subtract the existing length and
divide by 2.

--
Nonny

Oh, ok. I get where you were going. I'll post pics to abpw when it's
finished.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:01:34 -0600, the infamous Chris Friesen
scrawled the following:

On 10/30/2009 08:25 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:18:15 GMT, the infamous "Joe"
scrawled the following:

What is the wreck's opinion on how wide a breadboard end can be on a kitchen
table? I'm looking to add length, but don't want proportions to look bad.
Overall, the table will be 6'9" by 3'6"

I'd go with 3'6"

You're a bad, bad man.

What, you don't like literalists, Chris?

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:59:35 -0700, the infamous "Nonny"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:18:15 GMT, the infamous "Joe"

scrawled the following:

What is the wreck's opinion on how wide a breadboard end can be
on a kitchen
table? I'm looking to add length, but don't want proportions to
look bad.
Overall, the table will be 6'9" by 3'6"

I'd go with 3'6", Joe. gd&wvvf

---

A good default ratio is the golden mean.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Not in this case, Nonny. 5/8 (roughly) of 3'6" is 26-1/4" which is
way too deep for a breadboard end. 2-1/2 to 3-1/2" would be my guess,
but I'd check that physically before working the pieces too far.

---