Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default breadboard ends

I edged the table with walnut all around using twice the width for the
breadboards (6" wide) and it really popped the overall looks. If I
remember correctly I got that idea from FWW in an article they had about
French Country table design several years back.

More important than the looks are the mortise and tenon's you make for
holding the breadboard to the table. Be sure to account for the fact that
the table will expand and contract and the bread-board ends will not. On
a 4' width (of an unknown hardwood) that I used, the amount was about 1/8"
total (1/16" per side) difference. I built it while it was humid and the
table shrinks a total of 1/8" in width during the winter.

Bob S.

Good info, thanks Bob.

6" was what I was thinking, mostly to build up the length of the table, but
wasn't sure if it would look 'good'. Glad yours turned out to be such a
success. exp/cont, I'm pinning the center of the breadboard twice: 4"
on either side of the centerline, then pinning the ends in an elongated hole
to allow movement.

jc