Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default Alternate way to attach breadboard ends? Lag Bolts?

Do you mean carriage bolts? I've always thought of lag bolts as big
tapered wood screws, and carriage bolts using washers and nuts. Sounds
like it'll work just fine,especially with the thickness of this top.
Tom
David F. Eisan wrote:
Hello everyone,

We all know the traditional way to attach breadboard ends. Peg and glue
middle 4'ish inches, peg ends in elongated holes, no glue.

I was thinking about different ways to attach breadboard ends the other
night and I came up with this,

How about with Lag bolts?

No, really, lag bolts...

My top is 40" wide and 1-11/16 thick solid ash. The breadboard end is 6"
wide. The tongue on the table and groove on the breadboard end is 5/8" by
about 1-1/2"

I was going to drill three 3/4"x4" counterbores in the edge of the
breadboard end that would be the end of the table, one in the centre and one
8" in from either end. The center bore would get a very slight clearance
hole drilled clear through, same with the outer ones, but they would be
elongated left to right. All three holes would have the correct hole drilled
through into the breadboard tongue for a 1/4" lag bolt.

I glue the middle 6" of the breadboard end and screw on the breadboard end
with a washer under the end of a 1/4"x3" lag bolt. I screw on each outer
end, but use no glue. I plug the three holes with 3/4" plugs.

This should keep the end tight and allow for movement.

What do you think?

I hope I was able to get across my idea...

Thanks,

David.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:

I was thinking about different ways to attach breadboard ends the

other
night and I came up with this,

How about with Lag bolts?

snip

Can't comment on your design; however, will offer the following:

I avoid lags and carriage (AKA: Coach) bolts like they were the plague.

It has been my experience that sooner or later, they strip either the
thread or the corner under the head.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message

This should keep the end tight and allow for movement.
What do you think?

I guess it's a matter of choice, but unless you're simply looking for the
easiest attachment method, my preference would be to use some type of
spline, maybe a blind spline or whatever a hidden one is called.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:08:05 -0700, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

How about with Lag bolts?

I think that the hand made, triple dipped galvanized ones from Old
World Lag Bolts would look spiffy.

Get the gold anodized washers.

The contrast will make it even more better.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/