Posted to rec.woodworking

Default breadboard ends

On Sep 11, 10:18*am, "Joe" wrote:
What is the wreck's opinion on how wide a breadboard end can be on a kitchen
table? *I'm looking to add length, but don't want proportions to look bad.
Overall, the table will be 6'9" by 3'6"

tia,

jc

I usually see them about 3 - 5", depending on the size of the top.
This is pretty subjective as you only NEED to make it wide enough to
keep the ends of the boards on the top in line without distortion if
movement occurs. In other words, the width and thickness only need to
be stout enough to control board movement and the rest is cosmetic.

When in doubt, sometimes a visual aid helps. I would cut a mock end
from cardboard and lay it across the table to determine the most
aesthetically pleasing width.

Robert