Posted to rec.woodworking

Default woodworking outside

Is it a good idea to set up and do woodworking in the back yard as
opposed to in a garage? It's really the only option I have, since my
garage is very small, has no windows, and no electricity.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Your backyard has windows and electricity?

Seriously, no reason why you can't, but you'll of course be limited by
weather conditions and have to put everything away after each session.
Outdoor finishing wouldn't be a good idea because of falling leaves, pollen,
insects, etc.

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

karmstrn wrote:
Is it a good idea to set up and do woodworking in the back yard as
opposed to in a garage? It's really the only option I have, since my
garage is very small, has no windows, and no electricity.

Depends on where you are. Arizona, probably fine. Seattle, probably not so
fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"karmstrn" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to set up and do woodworking in the back yard as
opposed to in a garage? It's really the only option I have, since my
garage is very small, has no windows, and no electricity.

Yes if your a wood carver or whittler, other than that seems impractical to
bring out equipment and put away each time, why can't you have the tools
against the wall in the garage and move the car and bring out what you need?
I've seen many work shops laid out like this in magazines that tailor to the
small shop.

Good luck, Rich

Posted to rec.woodworking

"karmstrn" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to set up and do woodworking in the back yard as
opposed to in a garage? It's really the only option I have, since my
garage is very small, has no windows, and no electricity.

Sure, why not? Depending on where you live, it can be a bitch cutting and
milling in January snow though.

OTOH, many years ago on my first trip out tot he hot southwest, I was amazed
at how many auto shops had no walls, lifts outside, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"karmstrn" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to set up and do woodworking in the back yard as
opposed to in a garage? It's really the only option I have, since my
garage is very small, has no windows, and no electricity.

Sure, why not? Depending on where you live, it can be a bitch cutting and
milling in January snow though.

OTOH, many years ago on my first trip out tot he hot southwest, I was
amazed at how many auto shops had no walls, lifts outside, etc.

For the most part, if you can make shade and maintain airflow, the heat is
not that bad. During the monsoon season, when the humidity goes up, that
doesn't work so well, but up until that point, it's amazing what a little
airflow and shade can do for comfort.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

"karmstrn" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to set up and do woodworking in the back yard as
opposed to in a garage? It's really the only option I have, since

my
garage is very small, has no windows, and no electricity.

As long as you have a way to keep your tools, especially power tools,
under cover during bad weather you should be okay. I drag my WorkMate
into the driveway and work outside quite a bit when the weather is
nice.

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 May 2009 17:33:30 -0700 (PDT), karmstrn
wrote:

Is it a good idea to set up and do woodworking in the back yard as
opposed to in a garage? It's really the only option I have, since my
garage is very small, has no windows, and no electricity.

Very good idea weather permitting. You get bright light and cleanup
is fast and easy. This setup is made easy using wheels and
lightweight tables/sawhorses. The garage is a better place for
applying most finishes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

OTOH, many years ago on my first trip out tot he hot southwest, I was
amazed at how many auto shops had no walls, lifts outside, etc.

No walls eliminates the age old problem of "snow build up" against exterior
walls, especially in the desert.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"karmstrn" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to set up and do woodworking in the back yard as
opposed to in a garage? It's really the only option I have, since my
garage is very small, has no windows, and no electricity.

Sure, why not? Depending on where you live, it can be a bitch cutting
and
milling in January snow though.

OTOH, many years ago on my first trip out tot he hot southwest, I was
amazed at how many auto shops had no walls, lifts outside, etc.

For the most part, if you can make shade and maintain airflow, the heat
is
not that bad. During the monsoon season, when the humidity goes up, that
doesn't work so well, but up until that point, it's amazing what a little
airflow and shade can do for comfort.

LOL, If you live in Houston and visit Moab when the temp is 110 degrees it
feels cool in the direct sun light.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Is it a good idea to set up and do woodworking in the back yard as
opposed to in a garage? It's really the only option I have, since my
garage is very small, has no windows, and no electricity.

I did that for a few years.. Detached garage had power but no windows and was
full of junque..
I found that outside storage was hard on tools, though, so I made a "storage
shed" out of old 2x4's and plastic sheeting..

Weather permitting, I do a lot of outside work, especially stuff like sanding,
routing and cut-off saw... No DC needed and the house stays cleaner.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Is it a good idea to set up and do woodworking in the back yard as
opposed to in a garage? It's really the only option I have, since my
garage is very small, has no windows, and no electricity.

That's why my table saw is a contractor model that I can move by
myself ;-)

The driveway in the back of the house has about 20 feet of shaded
area. I make sawdust (cut, rout, sand) outside. I apply finish in
the shed that houses the yard equipment (5 foot doorway provides good
ventilation).

Cleanup is usually easy - sawdust is organic matter, so just use a
blower to move it to the mulch pile.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

You sound like a good customer for Scott Landis' Workshop book (Tauton
Press, available Amazon)

It is a great idea book that touches on a lot of ways to set up shop
including facility, storage, systems, etc. He features some of the
most beautiful and elaborate shops you can imagine; but also several
at the other end of the scale. Some of these include complete
woodworking or metalworking shops crammed into buses or owner-built
vans. He even covers a fellow who hung a woodturning shop on the
bumper of his RV.

One that stands out in my mind regarding your case: A fellow in one
of the sunshine states that built a very well equipped and efficient
shop in a garden-variety back yard storage building. Don't remember
the size (Son has my book) but it was on the order of a 10'x12' metal
metal yard shed that he had upgraded to make certain leaks were
plugged and he ran electrical to it. The end opposite the sliding
doors was a bench with VERY efficiently organized wall and bench
storage, an overhead fluorescent fixture and outlets . The remainder
of the building served as storage for several floor and bench tools
that could be rolled out onto the adjacent patio (the patio was
covered). He did most of his work on the patio and rolled everything
back end when his work was done.

Lacking metal building you might be able to use your garage in a
similar manner. You would have to get electrical service. If the
garage doesn't work, you might pick up a used metal shed cheap. As I
recall, the guy mentioned above didn't even have a concrete floor. I
believe he used pavers.

Your might want to take a look at Scott's book. If you don't want to
purchase, some libraries have it.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 14, 12:28*am, "Len" wrote:
"karmstrn" wrote in message

Is it a good idea to set up and do woodworking in the back yard as
opposed to in a garage? It's really the only option I have, since

my
garage is very small, has no windows, and no electricity.

As long as you have a way to keep your tools, especially power tools,
under cover during bad weather you should be okay. I drag my WorkMate
into the driveway and work outside quite a bit when the weather is
nice.

Len

I agree with Len, keep them covered. My chop saw is on a stand outside
and I even use it in winter in the Yukon at 25 below zero. Sanding
outside is also better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

I operated outside in SoCal.

Lost 2-3 weeks out of a year.

Suggset you construct a 1" thin wall conduit frame and cover with a
silver tarp (UV Resistant) as a sun cover.

Hardware to build frame available from many sources.

Cover T/S with its own tarp, same with router station (Mine is NYW).

Keep lighter weight tools under lock & key.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-05-14, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

I'm just now getting used to the idea of working INSIDE.

Boy howdy! Heard of the construction industry? Got no indoor shop!

I'm new at this, but any wood working I'm doing is outdoors cuz I got no PBS
laser-guided-air-conditioned-vacuum-dusted-sodium-lighted-roll-up-doored
shop. Jes me and the breeze and a few power tools. Don't give me that
Yankee workdork crap, either. If I ever talk about making a hand carved bow
saw, you have my permission to shoot me in the head.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote in
:

On 2009-05-14, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

I'm just now getting used to the idea of working INSIDE.

Boy howdy! Heard of the construction industry? Got no indoor shop!

*snip*

Sure they do... At least home construction. They first build their shop
and then work in it! Why do you think the first thing they do is put the
structure in to put the roof up? ;-)

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-05-15, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

..............Why do you think the first thing they do is put the
structure in to put the roof up? ;-)

TOUCHÉ!

You make a good point.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm just now getting used to the idea of working INSIDE.
Boy howdy! Heard of the construction industry? Got no indoor shop!

*snip*

Sure they do... At least home construction. They first build their shop
and then work in it! Why do you think the first thing they do is put the
structure in to put the roof up? ;-)

Puckdropper

When I built my house in Ohio, last thing I put up was the sharn (too
big to be a shed, to small to be a barn).

If I do it again, an out building with a concrete floor will be the
first thing that goes up.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"have to put everything away after each session. "

Actually, not a bad idea regardless the venue!

As to the OP question - sure. Yes You Can!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"karmstrn" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to set up and do woodworking in the back yard as
opposed to in a garage? It's really the only option I have, since my
garage is very small, has no windows, and no electricity.

If you are working with cherry there will be no need to stain it a "cherry
color" after you have completed the piece.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
If you are working with cherry there will be no need to stain it a "cherry
color" after you have completed the piece.

Well, I like to paint my cherry projects and it aggravates me when they get
bird droppings on them, so woodworking in the garage is preferred. That way
the only thing that might get on the projects is spider webs and a little
dust and that's ok.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
Well, I like to paint my cherry projects and it aggravates me when they get
bird droppings on them,

Environmentally friendly natural finish.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 May 2009 12:21:18 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
If you are working with cherry there will be no need to stain it a "cherry
color" after you have completed the piece.

Well, I like to paint my cherry projects and it aggravates me when they get
bird droppings on them, so woodworking in the garage is preferred. That way
the only thing that might get on the projects is spider webs and a little
dust and that's ok.

No beer spills to clean up?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

General Woodworking Tools - Lowered height of woodworking tools Upscale Woodworking 8 November 29th 07 08:23 PM
Woodworking KarinaSelena Woodworking 0 September 2nd 07 07:02 AM
rec.woodworking John Woodworking 7 November 12th 06 09:38 PM
New woodworking newsgroup for all ages fam.woodworking Susan Welchel Woodworking 67 July 25th 05 06:58 PM
3rd RFD: rec.woodworking.all-ages (was: rec.woodworking.moderated) mbrooks Woodturning 10 September 22nd 04 10:57 PM