Posted to rec.woodworking

Default General Woodworking Tools - Lowered height of woodworking tools

Well, I'm happy to see that General Tools will soon be producing a line of
lowered woodworking machinery suitable for individuals in wheelchairs,
people who like to sit, or who happen to be of lowered stature. As far as I
know, they're the only company in North America who will be mass producing
woodworking machinery of this type. It's about time. Eventually, I would've
bought a 650 tablesaw, now it will be an AC650 tablesaw suitable for use
from my wheelchair.

http://www.general.ca/Access/pagemach/ang/welcome.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 2:49pm (Upscale) doth sayeth:
Well, I'm happy to see that General Tools will soon be producing a line
of lowered woodworking machinery suitable for individuals in
wheelchairs, people who like to sit, or who happen to be of lowered
stature. As far as I know, they're the only company in North America who
will be mass producing woodworking machinery of this type. It's about
time. snip

My joints give me seven kinds of Hell if I stand in one position
for long. So my router table, planer, and scrollsaw, are at heights
where I can sit using them; I do tend to use those for longer periods.
I don't usually use the bandsaw for more than just a cut or three, so
it's at standup height - for now. Same with the drill press. My bench
saw is on a stand at standup height, but don't use that for extended
periods. Same with the wood lathe - altho I've ben thinking about a
tall stool for chair for that - but may just chop the stand shorter.

Any tool stands in my shop are made by me - from sheet plywood.
They're strong, light, steady, and inexpensive. I can make them any
height I want, and if the height is not right, I don't hesitate to make
changes. The lathe stand is 3/4" plywood (I think), and doesn't
vibrate, wobble, or move around. And cost probably around $10 to make..

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
Well, I'm happy to see that General Tools will soon be producing a line of
lowered woodworking machinery suitable for individuals in wheelchairs,
people who like to sit, or who happen to be of lowered stature. As far as
know, they're the only company in North America who will be mass producing
woodworking machinery of this type. It's about time. Eventually, I
would've
bought a 650 tablesaw, now it will be an AC650 tablesaw suitable for use
from my wheelchair.

http://www.general.ca/Access/pagemach/ang/welcome.html

Good for them.

General was always a class act.

This just confirms it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

OneWay lathe maker has a NEW! sit down version of their various
lathes.

Not sure how a joiner could be used from a chair but I know of
several folks who do it from a wheel chair. Wheelchair folks
are a very creative lot - at least the ones who sees challenges
as good things - just like some of us "other people".

Most of my power tools that require SEEING where the cut
is going to be made are all set up high - stock surface at
sternum height or higher. The drill press table is at about
shoulder level.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Any tool stands in my shop are made by me - from sheet plywood.
They're strong, light, steady, and inexpensive. I can make them any
height I want, and if the height is not right, I don't hesitate to make
changes.

As with most of the machine tools I use. My current tablesaw is a
contractor's version so it was just a matter of cutting a few inches off
each leg of the stand. However, for the longest time I've been wanting a
General cabinet saw. Regular discussions with General both online and at
trade shows about lowering one of their cabinet saws have been frequent. My
biggest complaint was that doing a height change on a cabinet would likely
void any warranty a new saw would have. Not now.

And, let's face it. Aside from the cost of retooling some less important
parts of their production line, it will be a win, win act for them. It makes
them look good. They will be at the forefront of the industry leaders in
this area ( at least when it come to the mass producing part), and there is
an existing under developed market for them to sell to. I can't envision
much of a downside to this.

Lastly, considering the age and condition of many of the people in this
newgroup (me included), machinery of this type will make it less
uncomfortable to continue with our woodworking hobbies. If or when I can't
do my woodworking, I better have something equally interesting to replace it
or I won't have much incentive to go on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
Well, I'm happy to see that General Tools will soon be producing a line of
lowered woodworking machinery suitable for individuals in wheelchairs,
people who like to sit, or who happen to be of lowered stature.

Cool!

I remember some of your trials and tribulations over the past few years
trying to set up your shop. The best part is that General started with
top notch equipment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Huh. Never thought about voiding a warranty. I don't have much
faith in warranties anyway.

Well, I have to admit that I've benefited from them several times. (after
I've jumped through all the hoops involved in getting warranty service). As
far as a table saw goes though, a warranty is just a little more piece of
mind for a relatively expensive purchase. And, we have seen the occasional
comment here about cracked trunions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
far as a table saw goes though, a warranty is just a little more piece of
mind

Obviously, that should be "peace" of mind unless you criticise my spelling
too harshly and then I'll happily give you a "piece" of my mind from the
little I have to spare.