Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best way to clean band saw blades?

So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?
With my imagination, I was thinking of maybe cutting through something
that would be abrasive, but it would certainly dull the blades.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
If they are rusty, they ARE dull.

I hear ya.
But I'm the kind of guy that will sit and watch TV or listen to Jazz,
with a file and a blade and just go to town. I've sharpened *wood*
bandsaw blades to like new condition.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote:

So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty
rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?

Phosphoric acid such as found in Navel Jelly or Osphro, but don't
expect the resulting blade to cut anything.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:30:23 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?
With my imagination, I was thinking of maybe cutting through something
that would be abrasive, but it would certainly dull the blades.

If rags and kerosene don't remove it, try a product containing oxalic
acid (Bar Keepers Friend, Zud, navel jelly, etc). I'd probably toss
the blade if the rust made deep pits or with missing/damaged teeth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phosphoric acid such as found in Navel Jelly or Osphro, but don't
expect the resulting blade to cut anything.

Lew

LOL!
OK Lew, cause I'm just cleaning the to look at 'em. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:

If rags and kerosene don't remove it, try a product containing oxalic
acid (Bar Keepers Friend, Zud, navel jelly, etc). I'd probably toss
the blade if the rust made deep pits or with missing/damaged teeth.

Most of them just have light surface rust.
I already threw out the really bad ones.

I figured if they were still sharp (or I sharpened them), I just
don't want the rust coming off on whatever I'm cutting.

If it's not a good idea, no biggie.
I got such a good deal on the saw, I can buy new blades.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?
With my imagination, I was thinking of maybe cutting through something
that would be abrasive, but it would certainly dull the blades.

I've never tried it, but my inclination would be to install the blade
(without too much concern for adjusting it) then run it while pressing
some 220 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper against each side (and perhaps the
back) of the blade. Affixing the sandpaper to something that would keep
your fingers clear of the area might be a good idea too. :-) Of
course, this isn't going to clean the teeth, but I would think that
cutting some scrap wood (and maybe sharpening them as you mentioned
elsewhere) would help clear out most of the loose rust in the "toothal"
area.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 8:30*am, -MIKE- wrote:
So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?
With my imagination, I was thinking of maybe cutting through something
that would be abrasive, but it would certainly dull the blades.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

just use it once.
then sharpen it .
and keep using it

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?
With my imagination, I was thinking of maybe cutting through something
that would be abrasive, but it would certainly dull the blades.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--

A bit more involve but easier on the blades is electrolysis. Yea, I know
that it remind you of moustache hair on granda but, no, it's not the same.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?
With my imagination, I was thinking of maybe cutting through something
that would be abrasive, but it would certainly dull the blades.

What kind of guides does you BS have. Stationary ceramic guides will clean
them right up by simply running and cutting with the blade on the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 25, 7:30*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?

I use a very coarse terrycloth towel and WD-40. The rougher the towel
the better. It is just abrasive enough to remove the rust (woth the
help of the WD-40) but is nor abrasive enough to actually scratch the
surface. This metod won't be of much use if there is pitting or heavy
rust. It also works on firearms that have light surface rust. It
will clean the rust without removing the blueing (and stuff like Navel
Jelly or oxalic acid certainly *will* remove the blueing!).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
I've never tried it, but my inclination would be to install the blade
(without too much concern for adjusting it) then run it while pressing
some 220 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper against each side (and perhaps the
back) of the blade. Affixing the sandpaper to something that would keep
your fingers clear of the area might be a good idea too. :-) Of
course, this isn't going to clean the teeth, but I would think that
cutting some scrap wood (and maybe sharpening them as you mentioned
elsewhere) would help clear out most of the loose rust in the "toothal"
area.

Drummers think alike.... except for "toothal." :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?
With my imagination, I was thinking of maybe cutting through something
that would be abrasive, but it would certainly dull the blades.

What kind of guides does you BS have. Stationary ceramic guides will clean
them right up by simply running and cutting with the blade on the saw.

I didn't think of that. They are block guides.
Makes sense, since they are perfectly set up to only scrape behind the
toothal (tm: Steve Turner) area.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan Major wrote:
On Mar 25, 7:30 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?

I use a very coarse terrycloth towel and WD-40. The rougher the towel
the better. It is just abrasive enough to remove the rust (woth the
help of the WD-40) but is nor abrasive enough to actually scratch the
surface. This metod won't be of much use if there is pitting or heavy
rust. It also works on firearms that have light surface rust. It
will clean the rust without removing the blueing (and stuff like Navel
Jelly or oxalic acid certainly *will* remove the blueing!).

So, steel wool would be bad for the blades?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:30:23 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?
With my imagination, I was thinking of maybe cutting through something
that would be abrasive, but it would certainly dull the blades.

Being basically lazy, I'd either trash them and buy news ones for $12 - 15
apiece, or just try using one on a piece of scrap..

IF the blade is still sharp (probably not if it's badly rusted) my only concern
would be rust on the wood I'm cutting, and being a turner, that isn't a big
deal..

I use a whetstone on each side and the back of new blades to make sure the weld
is ok... WITH THE SAW OFF... Hold the whetstone against the blade and turn the
upper wheel by hand..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 25, 5:30*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
What's the best way to get that rust off?
With my imagination, I was thinking of maybe cutting through something
that would be abrasive, but it would certainly dull the blades.

It's more likely the rust will stain your workpiece than that it
involves enough material to really hurt the blade.

Mount the blade, make a few cuts in a scrap, and finish up by
holding a pencil eraser against the non-cutting faces of the blade.

It might help to wipe down the clean blade with a waxy cloth or
bunch of waxed paper before putting it away.