Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default Best way to clean band saw blades?

-MIKE- wrote:
So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?
With my imagination, I was thinking of maybe cutting through something
that would be abrasive, but it would certainly dull the blades.

I've never tried it, but my inclination would be to install the blade
(without too much concern for adjusting it) then run it while pressing
some 220 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper against each side (and perhaps the
back) of the blade. Affixing the sandpaper to something that would keep
your fingers clear of the area might be a good idea too. :-) Of
course, this isn't going to clean the teeth, but I would think that
cutting some scrap wood (and maybe sharpening them as you mentioned
elsewhere) would help clear out most of the loose rust in the "toothal"
area.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/