Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Best way to clean band saw blades?

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:30:23 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

So, this band saw I just picked up came with about 15 blades.
They probably sat in the garage for a few years and got pretty rusty.
Right now, I have them soaking in some lubricant spray.

What's the best way to get that rust off?
With my imagination, I was thinking of maybe cutting through something
that would be abrasive, but it would certainly dull the blades.

Being basically lazy, I'd either trash them and buy news ones for $12 - 15
apiece, or just try using one on a piece of scrap..

IF the blade is still sharp (probably not if it's badly rusted) my only concern
would be rust on the wood I'm cutting, and being a turner, that isn't a big
deal..

I use a whetstone on each side and the back of new blades to make sure the weld
is ok... WITH THE SAW OFF... Hold the whetstone against the blade and turn the
upper wheel by hand..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing