Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Worker's Tool Box Qx

For the past year or so, since I retired, I've been volunteering with
a group here in Plano Tx that goes out one day a week and helps with
household maintenance items for some of our older or less fotunate
residents - fixing toilets that run, faucets that drip, installing
grab bars in bathtubs, etc. Over time my assignments have gravitated
towards the carpentry/woodworking side, probably because I can use a
plane that doesn't fly and can make lots of sawdust. As a result I
find myself having to pack up some basic hand tools ever week and
truck them out to someone's house, do a couple (or 6) hours work, then
back home to unpack. Wrapping planes (the non-flying ones), rasps,
scrapers, and handsaws in old towels to protect them is, I guess, OK
but I'd rather have a solution that's a little neater.

Over the years I've seen a few pictures on the net of new and old
toolchests just for hand wood tools. Anyone got a couple of good
examples I could use to stimulate the creative juices?

Regards.

Tom

PS: Last 2 weeks I've been working on a home built in 1896 (old by
Texas standards) that needed some exterior restoration to meet the
city code inspector's requirements. What a joy! Some of the quarter
round that I fixed was 5/8" on the flats and had 13 growth rings in
that 5/8"! I had to pre-drill for finishing nails 'cause they'd bend
off before penetrating. Next week is interior work that the owner (who
was born in the house) asked me to come by and do for her. She's even
paying me $5.00 an hour for it! Heck, I'd pay her! The money will go
into our fund that lets us help folks who can't afford something as
simple as a faucet washer.

TB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom B" wrote:

Over the years I've seen a few pictures on the net of new and old
toolchests just for hand wood tools. Anyone got a couple of good
examples I could use to stimulate the creative juices?

Take a look at Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery.

Has a classic tool box.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:57:39 -0500, Tom B
wrote:

Over the years I've seen a few pictures on the net of new and old
toolchests just for hand wood tools. Anyone got a couple of good
examples I could use to stimulate the creative juices?

Here is a link that might get you going.
Click on the one(s) you like. For me that was all of them.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/toolbox/

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yet another verification that the world has far more
Angels tha A-Holes. Though not "visible" - your wings
are showing sir.

One of the woodworking magazines (and I can't find the
issue it's in) - has Frank Klausz with a tool box he made
on the cover that might be helpful. The article about it
includes the tools in the box as well as how the box is
made - and methods for holding tools. I've gone through
the piles of woodworking magazines scattered about
and - alas - I haven't found the magazine. Perhaps some
one with better organizational skills can fill in the details.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Over the years I've seen a few pictures on the net of new and old
toolchests just for hand wood tools. Anyone got a couple of good
examples I could use to stimulate the creative juices?

Here is a link that might get you going.
Click on the one(s) you like. For me that was all of them.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/toolbox/

Mike O.

This may not be what you are looking for but a few years ago I saw a guy who
had taken one of the heavy duty canvas beach bags and created an inner liner
that all of his tools fit in. Each tool had its own slot. It was kind of
the inverse of the things that people put over the 5 gallon buckets. He had
all sorts of tools in that bag. Sorry no pictures.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You could start he

http://www.normstools.com/images/nor...ey-chest.shtml

Seriously, that may be more than you need...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

It is a magnificent looking tool chest, but I wonder what it weighs,
fully loaded? Seems like it would take two men and boy to take it out
for house jobs.

Chuck
Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

: wrote:
:
: Over the years I've seen a few pictures on the net of new and old
: toolchests just for hand wood tools. Anyone got a couple of good
: examples I could use to stimulate the creative juices?
:
: Here is a link that might get you going.
: Click on the one(s) you like. For me that was all of them.
:
: http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/toolbox/
:
:
: Mike O.

My Grandpa had a box that looked like a cross between the "Cabinet
Makers" and "Gentleman's" tool chests shown at that link, but was a
bit longer and taller than either.

It had one drawer near the bottom front instead of the two shown on
the "Gentleman's" chest, three lift out trays under the lid, and the
back flipped down to reveal shelves for planes.

The top tray held an assortment of sharpening stones, strop blocks,
jeweler's ruge, and a small wooden mallet for adjusting the planes.
There was also a slot for whichever of the smooth/scrub plane blades
was not in the plane, and a couple of pocket knives.

The middle tray was chisels, trimming knives, scrapers, burnishers, a
couple of marking knives, a draw knife, and small spoke shave.

The bottom tray had screw drivers, nail sets, a nail hammer, a brass
hammer, and some other stuff I can't remember.

The drawer was for squares, dividers, and measuring tools.

The space under the flip down back had a jointer plane on the lowest
shelf (actually the bottom of the chest extended out), the middle
shelf held a jack plane, and the top shelf held a smooth/scrub plane
(depended on blade installed), and a block plane.

He had a seperate box for his saw assortment.

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

FWIW
Here are a few photos of the one I made recently based on Chris
Marshall design in the May/June 2008 Woodworker's Journal.
http://picasaweb.google.com/toolmanlh/Toolbox#

Lenny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew,

You may want to take a look at the following link.

http://www.gorillaglue.com/Portals/0..._Kit_FINAL.pdf

I think that this may be the one that CharlieB was trying to remember. It
seems that it originally appeared in Popular Woodworking, although,
coincidentally, I just happened to stumble upon it at www.gorillaglue.com in
their "Project Plans" section under the "Odds & Ends" tab. Scroll down to
"Your First Tool Kit". Lots of other plans there too.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

coincidentally, I just happened to stumble upon it at www.gorillaglue.com
in their "Project Plans" section under the "Odds & Ends" tab. Scroll down
to "Your First Tool Kit". Lots of other plans there too.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, thank you!

I had forgotten all about Frank Klaus' toolbox, and story.

Had to move my shop a few months back and just had to give the new place a
trial run, so I built a "box". Just a simple, box jointed, damned old
jummywood box. A "box" for no purpose whatsoever, other than to just
christen the shop, spread some sawdust around, and make it look/smell/earn
its name as a "wood shop.

This "box" has just been sitting there, in my way ever since, just waiting
patiently for a purpose.

Now, I really don't need a toolbox, but this particular "box" is very badly
in need of a purpose in life ... and thanks to you, and Frank, it may have
just found one.

No telling what tales will be told about that box a hundred years from now

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie:

Thanks for the kind words. Truth is, it's fun and rewarding in ways
that can't be banked. When a little old widow whose front door
wouldn't close enough to seal out the cold wind says "Thank you. My
stars that's better" (her words), you walk back to the truck feeling
pretty OK.

Regards.

Tom

BTW. Someone provided a link to the FK tool box and I'm looking at it.

TB

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:38:12 -0800, charlieb
wrote:

Yet another verification that the world has far more
Angels tha A-Holes. Though not "visible" - your wings
are showing sir.

One of the woodworking magazines (and I can't find the
issue it's in) - has Frank Klausz with a tool box he made
on the cover that might be helpful. The article about it
includes the tools in the box as well as how the box is
made - and methods for holding tools. I've gone through
the piles of woodworking magazines scattered about
and - alas - I haven't found the magazine. Perhaps some
one with better organizational skills can fill in the details.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lenny:

Thanks. Very nice work! More than I envisioned doing 'cause I'm not
big enough to carry it, but really pretty!

Regards.

Tom

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Top posted for convenience

Many thanks to all of y'all that replied. I got some food for thought
to crank me up. I'll try to post results as the work progresses.

Regards.

Tom

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
mjd mjd is offline

http://www.gorillaglue.com/Portals/0..._First_Tool_Ki...

"Tom B" wrote:

Over the years I've seen a few pictures on the net of new and old
toolchests just for hand wood tools. Anyone got a couple of good
examples I could use to stimulate the creative juices?

Take a look at Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery.

Has a classic tool box.

Lew- Hide quoted text -

thanks for that link - that's a great article. Long time ago my dad
had given me my grandfather's toolbox - he was a cabinetmaker for
RCA. It's in my shop on the back of my storage bench; the outside I
had freshened up but the inside is waiting for an excuse to clean it
out and start migrating my hand tools into, so this story provides
good motivation to work on that.