Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom B Tom B is offline

Default Wood Worker's Tool Box Qx

Lenny:

Thanks. Very nice work! More than I envisioned doing 'cause I'm not
big enough to carry it, but really pretty!

Regards.

Tom

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:50:56 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:57:39 -0500, Tom B
wrote:

For the past year or so, since I retired, I've been volunteering with
a group here in Plano Tx that goes out one day a week and helps with
household maintenance items for some of our older or less fotunate
residents - fixing toilets that run, faucets that drip, installing
grab bars in bathtubs, etc. Over time my assignments have gravitated
towards the carpentry/woodworking side, probably because I can use a
plane that doesn't fly and can make lots of sawdust. As a result I
find myself having to pack up some basic hand tools ever week and
truck them out to someone's house, do a couple (or 6) hours work, then
back home to unpack. Wrapping planes (the non-flying ones), rasps,
scrapers, and handsaws in old towels to protect them is, I guess, OK
but I'd rather have a solution that's a little neater.

Over the years I've seen a few pictures on the net of new and old
toolchests just for hand wood tools. Anyone got a couple of good
examples I could use to stimulate the creative juices?

Regards.

Tom

PS: Last 2 weeks I've been working on a home built in 1896 (old by
Texas standards) that needed some exterior restoration to meet the
city code inspector's requirements. What a joy! Some of the quarter
round that I fixed was 5/8" on the flats and had 13 growth rings in
that 5/8"! I had to pre-drill for finishing nails 'cause they'd bend
off before penetrating. Next week is interior work that the owner (who
was born in the house) asked me to come by and do for her. She's even
paying me $5.00 an hour for it! Heck, I'd pay her! The money will go
into our fund that lets us help folks who can't afford something as
simple as a faucet washer.

TB

FWIW
Here are a few photos of the one I made recently based on Chris
Marshall design in the May/June 2008 Woodworker's Journal.
http://picasaweb.google.com/toolmanlh/Toolbox#

Lenny