Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

Default Wood Worker's Tool Box Qx

"Mike" wrote in message
: On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:57:39 -0500, Tom B
: wrote:
:
: Over the years I've seen a few pictures on the net of new and old
: toolchests just for hand wood tools. Anyone got a couple of good
: examples I could use to stimulate the creative juices?
:
: Here is a link that might get you going.
: Click on the one(s) you like. For me that was all of them.
:
: http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/toolbox/
:
:
: Mike O.

My Grandpa had a box that looked like a cross between the "Cabinet
Makers" and "Gentleman's" tool chests shown at that link, but was a
bit longer and taller than either.

It had one drawer near the bottom front instead of the two shown on
the "Gentleman's" chest, three lift out trays under the lid, and the
back flipped down to reveal shelves for planes.

The top tray held an assortment of sharpening stones, strop blocks,
jeweler's ruge, and a small wooden mallet for adjusting the planes.
There was also a slot for whichever of the smooth/scrub plane blades
was not in the plane, and a couple of pocket knives.

The middle tray was chisels, trimming knives, scrapers, burnishers, a
couple of marking knives, a draw knife, and small spoke shave.

The bottom tray had screw drivers, nail sets, a nail hammer, a brass
hammer, and some other stuff I can't remember.

The drawer was for squares, dividers, and measuring tools.

The space under the flip down back had a jointer plane on the lowest
shelf (actually the bottom of the chest extended out), the middle
shelf held a jack plane, and the top shelf held a smooth/scrub plane
(depended on blade installed), and a block plane.

He had a seperate box for his saw assortment.

Len