Old March 11th 16, 11:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 1:45:27 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:

I think you missed the joke.

This thread was originally started in 2009, thus the wood should have
dried out by now. ;-)

Holy cow - I certainly missed that! Walking away a little embarrassed
just now...

--
-Mike-

Old May 12th 16, 03:44 AM posted to rec.woodworking

replying to bw, Craig wrote:
This is not an answer to the question. But I'm have the same problem. I'm
refinishing a table and two end tables. My daughter wanted them painted a new
color, so I am using Rust-oleum (espresso) with a wash . The set is over 50
years old, so nice and dry. The paint was no problems, looked great. I
allowed the paint to dry for about 5 days. I live in the Arizona desert the
temperature has been in the high 80's to mid 90's. The water based
polyurethane was stirred very well (nothing on the bottom of the can). I used
a brush to apply, and found it foaming every where, I mean real bad. Do they
add a foaming agent to the product? I changed over and used a cloth to apply
the rest and it seemed to work much better. I waited about 3 hours, I did a
light sanding and applied a second coat and allowed to dry over night. The
next day, I have white patches all over the place. Looks like garbage. Can I
put and oil based polyurethane over the top ? Or do I have to start all over
again and wast about 30 hours of time ? I have used Minwax for years and never
had this this kind of problems. Is it something I did wrong or is it the
product? HELP!
Thanks Craig

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/woodwor...ze-450901-.htm

Old June 15th 16, 03:53 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Hi all,

I had the same issue. Fast-drying Minwax semi-gloass ruined my Cabinet door with white streaks. It was like a chemical reaction craziness. Whatever the cause was, I used a hair dryer. With the hottest setting, I took time. With patience, the streaks went away like a miracle. It was after 24 hours of drying. If I had use the hot air earlier, it might have taken less time. But hot air works.

thanks
Old June 10th 17, 12:44 AM posted to rec.woodworking

replying to bw, frustrated refinisher wrote:
Hello, I know this is an old post but I'm having the same kind of problem.
I've been refinishing a bathroom vanity, 3 pieces, and thought I was on my
last coat of Oil Fast Drying by Minwax.semi-gloss but I got alot of bubbles
even though I was doing all of the correct steps. I used Oil Zar stain.
Anyway, when I lightly sanded w/220, everything was covered with sanding
residue which I vacuumed, wiped w/dry microfiber cloth, then Kleen Green
odorless mineral spirits but still looked greyish. I googled @ the MS and saw
alot of complaints @it so I got the other Kleen OMS & wiped with microfiber
cloth. Still looked the same when OMS dried. I went ahead & slightly thinned
poly w/OMS. Minimal bubbles but it dried with a milk finish that looks like
its under this last coat. I had already 2 coats unthinned & didn"t have a
problem except for bubbles, no residue. I didnt have this problem in MB but I
did all the doors, drawers,mirrors & light strip in my finished basement. I
don't remember if it rained that day. Everything was dry but I did use a
different brush this time that had been used before on walls, waterbased, but
the first brush was used the same way & cleaned the same way. I presoaked the
brush this time in OMS, something I picked up reading all these sites. Do I
have to sand it all off? I've tried the heat gun but didn't see much
difference & that was maybe 4 days ago & I keep checking it & it's not going
away. The Zar oil stain is merlot, so the milkyness really stands out. I'm a
perfectionist so I can't just leave it like this!!! Some posts say just put
another coat on & that will make it go away, but I'm worried it'll just be
more I have to remove. I bought a new Wooster Silver Tipped brush made for
oil as was the other brush I used. I'm sorry this is so long but wanted to
give all the info I could. Also, slowly stirred poly & tried to go slow & not
overbrush, but has to tip off because of bubbles. Thank you very much in
advance!!! PS I've refinished several pieces before & never had this problem.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ze-450901-.htm

Old June 10th 17, 02:14 AM posted to rec.woodworking

replying to frustrated refinisher, frustrated refinisher wrote:
Also lots of detail/moldings so not looking foward to resanding the 3piece
vanity...Thanks again!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ze-450901-.htm

Old June 10th 17, 04:44 AM posted to rec.woodworking

replying to frustrated refinisher, frustrated refinisher wrote:
Just went down & tried wiping doors, etc. w/acetone & w/alot of effort it
seems to help, but starting to re-grey in areas. I'll go down & check on them
tomorrow to see if it worked or have to get denatured alcohol?? Also I can
still see little rings everywhere where there were bubbles that I sanded
smooth. How do I fix that?I've already had sanded thru in several places &
tried to touch up with Minwax marker but it wipes right off. This was a brand
new vanity that wasn't stained around molding but I didn't notice in time so
I've been trying to fix it ever since.. I appreciate any idea's You may
have!!Thank's again!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ze-450901-.htm

Old June 10th 17, 05:19 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 10:44:06 PM UTC-4, frustrated refinisher wrote:
replying to frustrated refinisher, frustrated refinisher wrote:
Just went down & tried wiping doors, etc. w/acetone & w/alot of effort it
seems to help, but starting to re-grey in areas. I'll go down & check on them
tomorrow to see if it worked or have to get denatured alcohol?? Also I can
still see little rings everywhere where there were bubbles that I sanded
smooth. How do I fix that?I've already had sanded thru in several places &
tried to touch up with Minwax marker but it wipes right off. This was a brand
new vanity that wasn't stained around molding but I didn't notice in time so
I've been trying to fix it ever since.. I appreciate any idea's You may
have!!Thank's again!!!

--

Here's an idea:

Stay away from Minwax products.

Having said that, I do use their Wipe-On Poly, but that's about it.

Old June 10th 17, 10:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

replying to DerbyDad03, frustrated refinisher wrote:
Thank you for your reply...Alot of other people on these sites say the same
but it was too late for me. I did use Zar oil stain but I didn't thiing that
covered very well, blotchy...I just went back down to check & most of the haze
is gone& looks like most of the poly as well. I want to cover over those
sanded bubble marks, little circles that remain after sanding smooth. Not sure
if I should wipe w/more acetone, oms, or buy denatured alcohol & if one of
those don't remove them & touch up my sand thru's w/another coat of stain or
just put on more poly?? Sorry but this has been my first time posting but I've
been reading these for months...Thanks again & if anyone else has info to
correct, please contact me ASAP!! Your help is much appreciated!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ze-450901-.htm

Old June 11th 17, 11:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

replying to bw, Rental wrote:
Sad to say it's just the Minwax....us
ed it for years with no prob...going on 3rd attempt at this job...used Minwax
twice after talking to their help line...switched to Rust-oleum...no
prob..Sherwin-williams bought Minwax....wonder what they have done

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ze-450901-.htm

Old September 14th 17, 09:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

This is an EASY fix!! The same thing happened to some interior doors I had stained and applied the same polyurethane to. Just get a blow dryer and go over the hazy areas. It takes a little time, but works like magic and stays looking like new. Wish I would have known this years ago when I had the same problem, stripped down everything, and started over 😫

Can you thin Minwax Polyurethane? [email protected] Woodworking 21 May 12th 17 06:44 PM
Fast drying polyurethane?? BD[_2_] Woodworking 6 February 20th 08 01:20 PM
Minwax fast drying poly over Formby's Tung Oil [email protected] Woodworking 13 August 30th 07 09:12 PM
White haze GARY Woodworking 6 June 15th 06 03:21 PM
Wrestling with Fast Drying Polyurethane Chip off the Ol'Proc Woodworking 2 September 5th 04 03:58 AM