Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How do you minimize rust on your jointer or table saw?

How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

TIA

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dick Snyder" wrote
How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

TopCote:

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...FSCysgodNS7UyA

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:
How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax
with sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

Boeshield
or
Bostik Top Cote

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:44:44 GMT, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

Personally, I just make sure I live in the desert...

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 23, 12:44*pm, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

TIA

Dick Snyder

I've found that rubbing them with wood gets rid of it.

John Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 23, 11:44*am, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

TIA

Dick Snyder

The most important thing you can do is use daily. Second to that wax
them. Any old candle will do.

I also have some cheap moving blankets I got at HF that I use to cover
the table tops I toss them over the tables when they are not covered
with other stuff. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I
sleep better knowing my tools are comfortable.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Dick Snyder" wrote
How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

TopCote:

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...FSCysgodNS7UyA

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Thanks. I just ordered some from Rockler as they have free shipping right
now.

Dick

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dick Snyder" wrote

Thanks. I just ordered some from Rockler as they have free shipping right
now.

You'll find it to be just what you're looking for. It works very well here
on the Gulf Coast, which speaks volumes for it's rust protection.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DejaVoodoo" wrote in message

The most important thing you can do is use daily. Second to that wax
them. Any old candle will do.

I also have some cheap moving blankets I got at HF that I use to cover
the table tops I toss them over the tables when they are not covered
with other stuff. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I
sleep better knowing my tools are comfortable.

If you use a heating pad they will be much more comfortable.

Seriously though, I would think if the blankets aren't breathable, they will
trap in moisture thus hindering the actual intentions of their use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Dick Snyder" wrote

Thanks. I just ordered some from Rockler as they have free shipping right
now.

You'll find it to be just what you're looking for. It works very well here
on the Gulf Coast, which speaks volumes for it's rust protection.

Or you could simply move here where the ambient humidity seldom gets
over 25%. I have a humidifier that keeps the inside at that number. I
do get tired of feeling like a potato chip however.
;-/
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Dick Snyder" wrote:
How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

I use Johnson's Paste Wax and a dehumidifier in the shop, which works very
well for me in Indianapolis. If you're in Houston, Seattle, or Miami, for
example, it may not work so well for you -- but I'm guessing that if you've
had "sort of OK results" with wax alone, that wax and a dehumidifier would
probably do the trick.

The dehumidifier's a good idea anyway, if your shop is in a significantly more
humid location (outdoors, or in a basement) than the living areas of your
house. Assuming, that is, that you use the shop primarily for making things
that eventually wind up in the living areas of the house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 23, 12:44*pm, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

TIA

Dick Snyder

I made up my own mix of waxes, somewhat harder than floor wax, and use
a battery powered buffer--the extra carnauba wax makes it hard to buff
out. I don't do one layer. I clean the top with mineral oil and steel
wool (we should all have some #000 or #0000 around, right?). Dry
carefully. Apply and lightly buff one heavy coat. Then three or four
lighter coats, buffing each slightly more than the previous coat. The
last coat takes on a near-chrome shine, and rust stays away, even here
in central Virginia.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I'm almost directly west of Doug, about 150 miles.

Sounds like you're in or near Decatur.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

TIA

Dick Snyder

I don't have any rust issues at all--probably due to the
air-conditioned shop. But to prevent rust I wipe the undersides of
machines with a rag dampened with kerosene. In some cases it will
remove light rust.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Living in New England with a very dry basement I have to use a
dehumidifer. before I used it my wide plank floors above would cup and
one interior door did not close smoothly. No rust on equipment and I
dont use anything to protect. Dehumidifer doesnt turn on in late fall
and winter spo I leave it plugged in.Cheaper than moving to the desert
also.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I use a very thin coat of Preparation H.

The ointment, not the cream.

Back in my Navy days we used it to keep the salt air from attacking the
cheap low bid tools they used to buy.

I have been using it for more than 30 years without a problem.

It does not gather dust, does not feel greasy and goes on very thin.

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

TIA

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 24, 1:49*pm, "Kevin"
wrote:
What is topcoat anyway?

WWers are frugal -- surely there is an alternative that's pennies per use...

Uhhh.... have had my $9 can of Topcote for 10 years. Still got a lot
in the can. Table saw, jointer, band saw, planer. All rust free in a
basement. Southern WI.

Prolly is pennies per use.

D'ohBoy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:49:13 -0500, "Kevin"
wrote:

What is topcoat anyway?

WWers are frugal -- surely there is an alternative that's pennies per use..

I don't know what it is (top cote) but it works.
The guy I work with says it smells like the stuff they use to spray in
bowling shoes. I think it's some kind of powder, like talc, with a
propellant.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I just keep a good coat of paste wax on mine. Of course this is a low
humidity area. The folks that come in from Colorado don't think so,
but I moved here from the Gulf South. This is low humidity.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"Dick Snyder" wrote

Thanks. I just ordered some from Rockler as they have free shipping
right now.

You'll find it to be just what you're looking for. It works very well
here on the Gulf Coast, which speaks volumes for it's rust protection.

Or you could simply move here where the ambient humidity seldom gets
over 25%. I have a humidifier that keeps the inside at that number. I
do get tired of feeling like a potato chip however.

Swingman's right on the money. TopCote is the way to go, and that is
true even in the desert. Besides preventing rust, it makes a super
slick surface that lasts a long time. Slippery is good on woodworking
machinery.

When I first started woodworking, and my shop was in the basement of my
first house, the basement would leak every time it rained. Needless to
say rust was a major issue. I used everything, car wax, candle wax, I
even melted wax in lacquer thinner and painted it on, still, rust would
show up in no time as wood sliding would wear it off quickly. Then, one
fine day a buddy of mine who worked for 3M got me a can of 3M Dry
Lubricant. This stuff was amazing. One quick spray and the surface was
slick as ice on a warm day. One coat lasted me 6 months at least and
zero rust. When I ran out of it years later, I could no longer get the
stuff, I even contacted 3M and sent a picture of the can, no luck.
Recently I bought a can of Bostik TopCote and I think it's the same
stuff, the can is even the same color.

Wax is NOT the way to go, even though a ton of people use Johnson's
paste wax. I guess it's OK in a pinch, but it is not as durable as this
stuff, not as slick as this stuff, not as easy to apply as this stuff
and doesn't prevent rust as well as this stuff. TopCote has no downside
to it that I can find as long as you don't set yourself on fire or use
it as an inhaler...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Kevin wrote:
What is topcoat anyway?

TopCote is a bunch of chemicals and petroleum stuff designed to put on
iron table tops, like table saws and jointers.

WWers are frugal

Some are, but from the money guys on here throw around on Festools and
so on they seem less than frugal when it comes to their tools.

-- surely there is an alternative that's pennies per use..

If you find one, let us know. Wax is not it, I've used wax. Truth is,
TopCote is around $10 a can, and that should last years. Not bad for
having a super slick surface and no rust to deal with. The most
dangerous thing in your shop is rusty tables or any non-slick top. Once
you see how nice things slide on this stuff and how long it lasts, you
won't worry about spending $10 every year or two on a can.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 24, 6:23*pm, "Jay R" wrote:
I use a very thin coat of Preparation H.

The ointment, not the cream.

Back in my Navy days we used it to keep the salt air from attacking the
cheap low bid tools they used to buy.

I have been using it for more than 30 years without a problem.

It does not gather dust, does not feel greasy and goes on very thin.

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message

How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

TIA

Dick Snyder- Hide quoted text -

Does it help with the hemmoroids that the tools had? ;)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I'm almost directly west of Doug, about 150 miles.

Sounds like you're in or near Decatur.

Good guess, Peoria actually. Indy's farther south than I realized, now
that I look at a map. I'm probably short on the distance, too. I just
wanted to point out that the same technique worked for someone else with
relatively the same climate.

Not a guess, really -- my son is a junior at Millikin U in Decatur, so I know
exactly where that is: 150 miles directly west of Indianapolis. US 36 runs
right through the center of each city, in pretty nearly a straight line. But
yeah, I'm sure the climate is pretty much the same. I used to live in
Springfield, and I think it's a little more humid there than in Indy, but not
much.
Posted to rec.woodworking

There is a way that works for me and found it out quite by accident. I live
in northern Minnesota where temps. very from 90 in the summer to -30 in the
winter. When it gets to cold to work in the garage I move my operations to
the basement but there is machinery that is left in the garage all year long
such as my table saw, bandsaw, thickness planer etc. I had come to the
conclusion that I was just going to struggle cleaning off the rust from
these items every year. Well, to my surprise when spring came around and I
was getting things set up in the garage again, I found an 8" mill *******
file that I had left on top of my tablesaw. When I lifted it up, there was
no rust. That was interesting. Over the last few years I have just covered
those items using blankets or what ever that lay flat on the surface. It is
not "completely" free of rust but it has cut down its presents tremendously.
To clean the surfaces quickly, I use WD40 and a block of wood with 320 grit
sandpaper. Wipe clean with a paper towel or cloth and then sprinkle and rub
baby powder over the surface. I can have all this done in 30-45 minutes. I
can't say that this will work in all parts of the country but it does here.
Try it and good luck.

John

"Kevin" wrote in message
l.net...
What is topcoat anyway?

WWers are frugal -- surely there is an alternative that's pennies per

use..

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Dick Snyder" wrote
How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax

with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

TopCote:

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...id=CIiKwv3nvZY
CFSCysgodNS7UyA

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

What to put on new table saw table to prevent rust? Dan Woodworking 14 October 11th 07 05:58 PM
removing rust from jointer William Andersen[_2_] Woodworking 11 August 16th 07 03:58 AM
Table saw rust removal PB Woodworking 20 September 9th 05 05:16 AM
Rust spots on new jointer stoutman Woodworking 34 January 16th 05 03:55 PM
Table Saw Rust BeeFarmer Woodworking 39 February 2nd 04 11:21 PM