Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How do you minimize rust on your jointer or table saw?

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax
with sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

I use Johnson's Paste Wax and a dehumidifier in the shop, which works
very well for me in Indianapolis. If you're in Houston, Seattle, or
Miami, for example, it may not work so well for you -- but I'm
guessing that if you've had "sort of OK results" with wax alone, that
wax and a dehumidifier would probably do the trick.

*snip*

I too use Johnson's Paste Wax. So far, so good. There's only two things
allowed on top of my saw: Wax and Wood. That helps tremendously in
keeping the saw top in good condition.

The saw does not get rolled out into the driveway if I'm trying to beat
the weather on a project. I had just a few rain drops hit the top and it
caused oranging immediately.

I'm almost directly west of Doug, about 150 miles.

Puckdropper