Posted to rec.woodworking

Default removing rust from jointer

On Aug 15, 9:35 am, "William Andersen" wrote:
Any ideas on removing rust from the bed of a jointer?
I use paste wax on my tools, but didn't use the jointer for several years.
The rust is too thick to wipe off: I'm pretty sure I'll have to sand it.
Is there a liquid rust remover to use first?
Is there anything better than mineral spirits for removing paste wax from
metal to have a clean surface to protect again?

WD-40 and scotch-brite pads work well. Just let the WD-40 sit for a
while then scrub away. I have heard of others putting the scotch-
brite under a sander but never tried it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om, RayV wrote:
On Aug 15, 9:35 am, "William Andersen" wrote:
Any ideas on removing rust from the bed of a jointer?
I use paste wax on my tools, but didn't use the jointer for several years.
The rust is too thick to wipe off: I'm pretty sure I'll have to sand it.
Is there a liquid rust remover to use first?
Is there anything better than mineral spirits for removing paste wax from
metal to have a clean surface to protect again?

WD-40 and scotch-brite pads work well. Just let the WD-40 sit for a
while then scrub away. I have heard of others putting the scotch-
brite under a sander but never tried it.

Yes, WD-40 will work -- but PB-Blaster will work a lot better. You can find it
at most auto parts stores.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"William Andersen" wrote in message
Any ideas on removing rust from the bed of a jointer?
I use paste wax on my tools, but didn't use the jointer for several years.
The rust is too thick to wipe off: I'm pretty sure I'll have to sand it.
Is there a liquid rust remover to use first?
Is there anything better than mineral spirits for removing paste wax from
metal to have a clean surface to protect again?

Others have responded with the standard procedures for tackling the rust
issue, so I won't repeat their words. The best thing for removing was is
autobody wax and grease remover. At about $50 per gallon, it's probably not
going to be your first choice of approaches, but the stuff does work. In
all likelyhood, by the time you get the rust off you'll have all of the wax
off as well. Even if you didn't, it would not matter. Simply apply new wax
and move on to the next project.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Doug Miller wrote:
In article om, RayV wrote:
On Aug 15, 9:35 am, "William Andersen" wrote:
Any ideas on removing rust from the bed of a jointer?
I use paste wax on my tools, but didn't use the jointer for several years.
The rust is too thick to wipe off: I'm pretty sure I'll have to sand it.
Is there a liquid rust remover to use first?
Is there anything better than mineral spirits for removing paste wax from
metal to have a clean surface to protect again?

WD-40 and scotch-brite pads work well. Just let the WD-40 sit for a
while then scrub away. I have heard of others putting the scotch-
brite under a sander but never tried it.

Yes, WD-40 will work -- but PB-Blaster will work a lot better. You can find it
at most auto parts stores.

Almost any wetting fluid will work almost as well--even water (. All
really need is some lubrication...I usually just use kerosene and
wet/dry paper of 320 or finer grit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 15, 9:30 am, RayV wrote:
On Aug 15, 9:35 am, "William Andersen" wrote:

Any ideas on removing rust from the bed of a jointer?
I use paste wax on my tools, but didn't use the jointer for several years.
The rust is too thick to wipe off: I'm pretty sure I'll have to sand it.
Is there a liquid rust remover to use first?
Is there anything better than mineral spirits for removing paste wax from
metal to have a clean surface to protect again?

WD-40 and scotch-brite pads work well. Just let the WD-40 sit for a
while then scrub away. I have heard of others putting the scotch-
brite under a sander but never tried it.

Sticks fine to the velcro base on an ROS. Great way to denib
between finish coats, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"William Andersen" wrote in message
Any ideas on removing rust from the bed of a jointer?
I use paste wax on my tools, but didn't use the jointer for several years.
The rust is too thick to wipe off: I'm pretty sure I'll have to sand it.
Is there a liquid rust remover to use first?
Is there anything better than mineral spirits for removing paste wax from
metal to have a clean surface to protect again?

Top Saver. Amazing stuff in a pump spray bottle. Spray it on, use a
(provided in the kit) abrasive pad to scrub and wipe it off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Soak it overnight using WD-40,etc,etc.

Using a VERY good razor blade scraper,
scrape the rust up using fresh razor blades.

The blade should be at a fairly steep angle to
the table top and you should be "shaving" the
rust up.

After you have bladed up as much as possible,
start again with WD-40 and scotch bright pads
and jointer hold down pads.

This is both tiring and messy....

Use lots of WD-40 and paper towels.

After you get it back to clean....

Keep it clean....

William Andersen wrote:

Any ideas on removing rust from the bed of a jointer?
I use paste wax on my tools, but didn't use the jointer for several years.
The rust is too thick to wipe off: I'm pretty sure I'll have to sand it.
Is there a liquid rust remover to use first?
Is there anything better than mineral spirits for removing paste wax from
metal to have a clean surface to protect again?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article om, RayV
wrote:
Yes, WD-40 will work -- but PB-Blaster will work a lot better. You can
find it
at most auto parts stores.

--
Regards,

And you have the added benefit of having some PB Blaster around the house
for the next time you try to pull the pitman arm
off your steering box.
Cheers,
cc

ps. it's flammable......DAMHIKT.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:10:35 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"William Andersen" wrote in message
Any ideas on removing rust from the bed of a jointer?
I use paste wax on my tools, but didn't use the jointer for several years.
The rust is too thick to wipe off: I'm pretty sure I'll have to sand it.
Is there a liquid rust remover to use first?
Is there anything better than mineral spirits for removing paste wax from
metal to have a clean surface to protect again?

Top Saver. Amazing stuff in a pump spray bottle. Spray it on, use a
(provided in the kit) abrasive pad to scrub and wipe it off.

Yes, for sure...

I asked the group how to remove the rust and treat my table saw top..

Topsaver was pretty much the unanimous choice and I'm really glad that I tried
it... I'm a convinced user now..

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5262

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to each of you for the ideas.

Bill

William Andersen wrote:

Any ideas on removing rust from the bed of a jointer?
I use paste wax on my tools, but didn't use the jointer for several
years. The rust is too thick to wipe off: I'm pretty sure I'll have to
sand it.
Is there a liquid rust remover to use first?
Is there anything better than mineral spirits for removing paste wax from
metal to have a clean surface to protect again?

Removing Rust Around the Drain in the Tub [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 6th 07 06:23 PM
Removing rust from bath AMO UK diy 17 August 5th 06 12:47 AM
Removing heavy rust ? ? Ray Home Repair 3 August 2nd 06 12:37 PM
Removing Surface Rust from iron Rich Metalworking 21 January 29th 05 05:42 AM
Rust spots on new jointer stoutman Woodworking 34 January 16th 05 03:55 PM