Posted to uk.d-i-y
AMO AMO is offline

Default Removing rust from bath

Hi,

I made the mistake of leaving a couple of paint brushes in my bath whilst
decorating it.

They rusted and now there is rust sticking to the bottom of the bath.

What's the best way to get rid of it.

Thanx

AMO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AMO" wrote in message
Hi,

I made the mistake of leaving a couple of paint brushes in my bath whilst
decorating it.

Now that's what I call over doing things, DECORATING THE BATH!!

:-)

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AMO wrote:
Hi,

I made the mistake of leaving a couple of paint brushes in my bath
whilst decorating it.

They rusted and now there is rust sticking to the bottom of the bath.

What's the best way to get rid of it.

Thanx

AMO

How long was they in the bath? this will give us an indication how long you
have not had one. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 18:39:19 +0100 John wrote :
Now that's what I call over doing things, DECORATING THE BATH!!

Is Mr Pooter's accounting of doing same the first ever recorded bit
of DIY?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "John" contains these words:

Now that's what I call over doing things, DECORATING THE BATH!!

Just read Diary of a Nobody first.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AMO AMO is offline

"John" wrote in message

"AMO" wrote in message
Hi,

I made the mistake of leaving a couple of paint brushes in my bath whilst
decorating it.

Now that's what I call over doing things, DECORATING THE BATH!!

:-)

John

Sorry - typed too fast. Was decorating the bathroom - used bath to leave
the paint brushes!!! ;0)

Any ideas of how to get rid of the rust?

Thanx

AMO

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AMO AMO is offline

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
How long was they in the bath? this will give us an indication how long
you
have not had one. ;-)
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Too long! ;0)

About 2 months. Took showers whilst the paint brushes etc in the back half
of the bath.

AMO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:57:11 +0100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

Is Mr Pooter's accounting of doing same the first ever recorded bit
of DIY?

Unless you fancy writing some impromptu Samuel Pepys DIY slash fiction,
I think so.

"To Miss Beeney's house, a most comely domicile
with impressive upholstery..."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Dingley contains these words:

Unless you fancy writing some impromptu Samuel Pepys DIY slash fiction,
I think so.

Up, and to B&Q where I did endeavour to obtain the neccessaries for the
decoration of the scullery maid's bedroom. The manager told me many
strange things of the virtues of this marvellous paint which he did call
"Du Lux". Sayeth it painteth fine all manner of things, and particularly
large shaggy dogs. I confess to being somewhat perplexed by this last
remark, but left him with tuppence farthing for a quart of Whyte with an
hinte of Apple.

Elizabeth did at once send me again to B&Q for she likes not the Whyte
with an Hinte of Apple, but prefers instead the Whyte with an Hinte of
Grass. I know not what the difference is, but it doth no harm to humour
her, particularly since it is for the maid's bedroom and I am exceeding
keen to get stuck in.

Back to house to collect receipt, without which Mssrs B&Q will not
exchange the paint.

Upon second return find that Elizabeth has thrown out all mine painting
brushes. She did claim they were exceeding mucky and not fit unto
painting a pigsty. If I do not get this job started soon I will not be
there to see the maid get changed, for serving dinner which omission
vexes me sorely.

Back to B&Q to obtain new brushes. Much talk of bristles, which puts me
fully in mind of maid's bow frontage, and finally part with halfpenny
for two brushes and some turpentine. Later discover that the paint is
not washable in turpentine but is some sort of watery distemper.

At last commence to paint. Starting at ceiling I then have to move the
bed and the wardrobe. Accidentally stand in maid's chamberpot. Shall
have words with maid on the virtue of regular emptying of night-soil.

Under bed find signs of maid having had visit from man. Maid claims this
was left by her brother, but I think not that such a lowly man carries
upon his person a kerchief of such silk. Maid is more agile than I
thought.

And so to paint the ceiling over the door. To this end I balance the
vessel upon the open edge of the door.

It appears that despite its distemperous nature, paint of this sort is
not easily removed from a garment. Elizabeth hath taken my purse to the
habadashers to purchase a new dress. Leaving me with the maid with whom
I did have no little discourse and sport.

Hindsight may show me that cleansing my hands of paint before impressing
them upon the maid's dark bodice might have left Elizabeth in more doubt
of why the ceiling not yet finished than eventuated.

And so to bed.

In the spare room.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AMO wrote:

Hi,

I made the mistake of leaving a couple of paint brushes in my bath whilst
decorating it.

They rusted and now there is rust sticking to the bottom of the bath.

What's the best way to get rid of it.

What is the bath made of? What surface etc?

(for heavy enamel on cast iron you can use a fine wet'n'dry silcon
carbide paper to polish out rust and hard water marks)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AMO" wrote:
Hi,

I made the mistake of leaving a couple of paint brushes in my bath whilst
decorating it.

They rusted and now there is rust sticking to the bottom of the bath.

What's the best way to get rid of it.

Thanx

AMO

Rust stains usually respond to an acid. You could try leaving lemon juice
(citric acid), or vinegar (acetic acid), to soak into the stain. You may
need to repeat the acid treatment and you may need to use a nylon
non-scratch pan scourer or bath cleaning sponge to remove any stubborn
stain. Another method is to rub the stain with a table salt/acid paste.
Other than that, rust stain remover is available from hardware shops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil Anthropist" typed

Rust stains usually respond to an acid. You could try leaving lemon juice
(citric acid), or vinegar (acetic acid), to soak into the stain. You may
need to repeat the acid treatment and you may need to use a nylon
non-scratch pan scourer or bath cleaning sponge to remove any stubborn
stain. Another method is to rub the stain with a table salt/acid paste.
Other than that, rust stain remover is available from hardware shops.

or dilute phosphoric acid (Coca Cola)...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AMO wrote:

They rusted and now there is rust sticking to the bottom of the bath.
What's the best way to get rid of it.

for an enamel bath, a stiff scrubbing brush with neat limescale removing
type loo cleaner and a pair of rubber gloves, rinse well afterwards ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Andy Dingley contains these words:

Unless you fancy writing some impromptu Samuel Pepys DIY slash fiction,
I think so.

Up, and to B&Q where I did endeavour to obtain the neccessaries for the
decoration of the scullery maid's bedroom. The manager told me many

brilliant, one for the humour collection I think.

--
David Clark
http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
AMO AMO is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message
What is the bath made of? What surface etc?

(for heavy enamel on cast iron you can use a fine wet'n'dry silcon carbide
paper to polish out rust and hard water marks)
Cheers,

John.

Thanx for that John. I think its made out of enamel. Will give it a go.

AMO

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AMO AMO is offline

"Phil Anthropist" wrote in message
Rust stains usually respond to an acid. You could try leaving lemon juice
(citric acid), or vinegar (acetic acid), to soak into the stain. You may
need to repeat the acid treatment and you may need to use a nylon
non-scratch pan scourer or bath cleaning sponge to remove any stubborn
stain. Another method is to rub the stain with a table salt/acid paste.
Other than that, rust stain remover is available from hardware shops.

Thanx Phil. Appreciate the advice! ;0)

AMO

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AMO AMO is offline

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
or dilute phosphoric acid (Coca Cola)...
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Thanx - Coca Cola is something I understand and have plenty of! ;0)

AMO

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AMO AMO is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
for an enamel bath, a stiff scrubbing brush with neat limescale removing
type loo cleaner and a pair of rubber gloves, rinse well afterwards ...

Thanx Andy. I'll give it a go. I tried mould and mildew remover and stain
remover and Cillit Bang! ;0)

But I'll look for some limescale remover also.

Thanx

AMO

Removing heavy rust ? ? Ray Home Repair 3 August 2nd 06 12:37 PM
Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Virtually no flow at bath ( longish) 9100DN OWNER UK diy 7 January 3rd 05 01:50 PM
Salt and vinegar for rust removal Paul O. Woodworking 89 May 21st 04 09:20 PM
Bath Oil damage [email protected] UK diy 6 February 15th 04 07:48 PM