Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default removing rust from jointer

In article om, RayV wrote:
On Aug 15, 9:35 am, "William Andersen" wrote:
Any ideas on removing rust from the bed of a jointer?
I use paste wax on my tools, but didn't use the jointer for several years.
The rust is too thick to wipe off: I'm pretty sure I'll have to sand it.
Is there a liquid rust remover to use first?
Is there anything better than mineral spirits for removing paste wax from
metal to have a clean surface to protect again?

WD-40 and scotch-brite pads work well. Just let the WD-40 sit for a
while then scrub away. I have heard of others putting the scotch-
brite under a sander but never tried it.

Yes, WD-40 will work -- but PB-Blaster will work a lot better. You can find it
at most auto parts stores.

--
Regards,