Posted to rec.woodworking
John John is offline

Default How do you minimize rust on your jointer or table saw?

There is a way that works for me and found it out quite by accident. I live
in northern Minnesota where temps. very from 90 in the summer to -30 in the
winter. When it gets to cold to work in the garage I move my operations to
the basement but there is machinery that is left in the garage all year long
such as my table saw, bandsaw, thickness planer etc. I had come to the
conclusion that I was just going to struggle cleaning off the rust from
these items every year. Well, to my surprise when spring came around and I
was getting things set up in the garage again, I found an 8" mill *******
file that I had left on top of my tablesaw. When I lifted it up, there was
no rust. That was interesting. Over the last few years I have just covered
those items using blankets or what ever that lay flat on the surface. It is
not "completely" free of rust but it has cut down its presents tremendously.
To clean the surfaces quickly, I use WD40 and a block of wood with 320 grit
sandpaper. Wipe clean with a paper towel or cloth and then sprinkle and rub
baby powder over the surface. I can have all this done in 30-45 minutes. I
can't say that this will work in all parts of the country but it does here.
Try it and good luck.

John

"Kevin" wrote in message
l.net...
What is topcoat anyway?

WWers are frugal -- surely there is an alternative that's pennies per

use..

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Dick Snyder" wrote
How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron
surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax

with
sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

TopCote:

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...id=CIiKwv3nvZY
CFSCysgodNS7UyA

--