PB

Default Table saw rust removal

I read a few places that I need to sand with fine grit sandpaper and then
use wax to protect the surface. Problem is that all the products I read
about are not available in Canada. SC Johnson's Paste Wax and Butchers Paste
Wax.
Anyone in Canada can suggest a product I can use to protect the surface of
my table saw?

Thanks,

Patrick

Toller

Didn't you post this a while back? Any woodworking store will have surface
protector, as will any woodworking catalog.
It just isn't that difficult.

Jim

"PB" wrote in message
I read a few places that I need to sand with fine grit sandpaper and then
use wax to protect the surface. Problem is that all the products I read
about are not available in Canada. SC Johnson's Paste Wax and Butchers
Paste Wax.
Anyone in Canada can suggest a product I can use to protect the surface of
my table saw?

Those products are just ordinary paste floor wax. Any brand will do. I
usually use an automobile spray wax.
Jim

Thanks,

Patrick

RonB

Try SLIPIT which is available from Grizzly. Comes in spray, liquid and
brush-on paste. I use the past at the suggestion of a Grizzly rep and it
works fine.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/sear...eywords=slipit

RonB

"PB" wrote in message
I read a few places that I need to sand with fine grit sandpaper and then
use wax to protect the surface. Problem is that all the products I read
about are not available in Canada. SC Johnson's Paste Wax and Butchers
Paste Wax.
Anyone in Canada can suggest a product I can use to protect the surface of
my table saw?

Thanks,

Patrick

SonomaProducts.com

If you use automotive wax, make sure it does not have any silicon. Very
bad on wood if you ever want to stain or seal.

Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:16:46 -0400, "PB" scribbled:

I read a few places that I need to sand with fine grit sandpaper and then
use wax to protect the surface. Problem is that all the products I read
about are not available in Canada. SC Johnson's Paste Wax and Butchers Paste
Wax.
Anyone in Canada can suggest a product I can use to protect the surface of
my table saw?

Lee Valley has Topcote & Boeshield which I've seen recommended here on
the wreck many times.
Topcote:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...415,43440&ap=1

Boeshield:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...415,43440&ap=1

Crappy Tire also has pure Carnauba wax in their automobile finish
area. That should also work. They might also have other products, but
I think you know enough not to use anything with silicone in it as it
can screw up wood finishing. So don't use turtle wax or other

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
Doug Miller

In article , "Jim" wrote:
Those products are just ordinary paste floor wax. Any brand will do. I
usually use an automobile spray wax.

Bad idea... the silicone that's in many (not all) automobile waxes will cause
fish-eye in many wood finishes. Yes, it *will* come off of the saw table onto
your project.

--
Regards,

PB

Troller,

No, this is my first post. And I know it's not difficult. I wanted
recommendations from people that have MUCH more experience then me.

Thanks for your comment even though you haven't helped.

Patrick
"Toller" wrote in message
Didn't you post this a while back? Any woodworking store will have
surface protector, as will any woodworking catalog.
It just isn't that difficult.

PB

Thanks Luigi, I went to Canadian Tire and asked the person working in the
hardware section. This is what he told me. "We sell a silicone based product
that protects and make the wood slide easier." He was surprised when I told
him that silicone stains wood.

I will try Lee Valley even though they are in Ottawa. At least I won't have
to deal with rediculous shipping from the US and the damn duties.

Thanks again and thanks to everyone that helped with my question.

Patrick

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message
[...]

Bruce Barnett

"PB" writes:

Thanks Luigi, I went to Canadian Tire and asked the person working in the
hardware section. This is what he told me. "We sell a silicone based product
that protects and make the wood slide easier." He was surprised when I told
him that silicone stains wood.

Slight correction - It doesn't stain wood. But the silicone reacts
chemically to some finishes, causing "fish-eye" blotches (so I am
told).

Canadian Tire usually has this stuff in stock, it claims it's pure

http://www.mothers.com/products/prod...5701-05500.jpg

carnauba wax (which is what you should be using on your car too... and
it's time to start thinking about winterizing it, starting with a good
wax job)... I get the stuff in the can, not the bottle. It smells
great too.

PB wrote:
[...]

Rob Mills

"PB" wrote in message

I read a few places that I need to sand with fine grit sandpaper

Before you try that get some automotive buffing compound (Dupont) and a
husky automotive buffer and have at it. You will be surprised at what it
will remove without scuffing table.

Then apply several coats of Johnson's paste floor wax and buff out each
coat. Don't use same pad that was used with compound. RM~

Upscale

"PB" wrote in message

I will try Lee Valley even though they are in Ottawa. At least I won't

have
to deal with rediculous shipping from the US and the damn duties.

What city are you in? Lee Valley has a number of stores situated in Canadian
cities.

Luigi Zanasi

On 7 Sep 2005 00:57:13 GMT, Bruce Barnett
scribbled:

"PB" writes:

Thanks Luigi, I went to Canadian Tire and asked the person working in the
hardware section. This is what he told me. "We sell a silicone based product
that protects and make the wood slide easier." He was surprised when I told
him that silicone stains wood.

Slight correction - It doesn't stain wood. But the silicone reacts
chemically to some finishes, causing "fish-eye" blotches (so I am
told).

But it's ok to use on *finished* wood to make it slide better. Just
don't expect new finish to stick on wood that's got silicone on it.
But the carnauba wax is in the automobile cleaning section, along with
turtle wax and all that.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html

Frank J. Vitale

WD-40 and 3M scotch-brite heavy duty scrubbing pads are good for removing
rust.

Jim

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you use automotive wax, make sure it does not have any silicon. Very
bad on wood if you ever want to stain or seal.

I didn't realise that. It probably isn't all that hard to remove...
Jim

Patriarch

"Jim" wrote in news:rEYTe.2052$7D1.1020
@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you use automotive wax, make sure it does not have any silicon. Very
bad on wood if you ever want to stain or seal.

I didn't realise that. It probably isn't all that hard to remove...
Jim

Naptha, paper towels & elbow grease. Lots of each. Open the windows &
doors. Burn the towels safely when done.

Patriarch
CW

That reminds me. I think it's that year for mine too.

"jo4hn" wrote in message
I try to wash the truck every couple of years whether it needs it or not.
j4

Rod Hanson

Check this link for the stuff that works pretty darn good. With what came in
the box, some elbow grease, and a utility knife blade I restored a
basketcase to near new condition.

http://empiremfg.com/products/otc/ts/index.html

rust removal Boots Woodworking 17 April 4th 05 05:27 AM
Ping Pong Table [email protected] Woodworking 8 September 24th 04 09:26 PM
Right AND Left Tilt Table Saw? Mark Jerde Woodworking 13 October 30th 03 06:59 AM
Jet table saw table out of tolerance Bob Davis Woodworking 3 October 21st 03 05:54 PM
Rust removal... Rich Naples Metalworking 1 October 3rd 03 01:26 PM