Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default How do you minimize rust on your jointer or table saw?

jo4hn wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"Dick Snyder" wrote

Thanks. I just ordered some from Rockler as they have free shipping
right now.

You'll find it to be just what you're looking for. It works very well
here on the Gulf Coast, which speaks volumes for it's rust protection.

Or you could simply move here where the ambient humidity seldom gets
over 25%. I have a humidifier that keeps the inside at that number. I
do get tired of feeling like a potato chip however.

Swingman's right on the money. TopCote is the way to go, and that is
true even in the desert. Besides preventing rust, it makes a super
slick surface that lasts a long time. Slippery is good on woodworking
machinery.

When I first started woodworking, and my shop was in the basement of my
first house, the basement would leak every time it rained. Needless to
say rust was a major issue. I used everything, car wax, candle wax, I
even melted wax in lacquer thinner and painted it on, still, rust would
show up in no time as wood sliding would wear it off quickly. Then, one
fine day a buddy of mine who worked for 3M got me a can of 3M Dry
Lubricant. This stuff was amazing. One quick spray and the surface was
slick as ice on a warm day. One coat lasted me 6 months at least and
zero rust. When I ran out of it years later, I could no longer get the
stuff, I even contacted 3M and sent a picture of the can, no luck.
Recently I bought a can of Bostik TopCote and I think it's the same
stuff, the can is even the same color.

Wax is NOT the way to go, even though a ton of people use Johnson's
paste wax. I guess it's OK in a pinch, but it is not as durable as this
stuff, not as slick as this stuff, not as easy to apply as this stuff
and doesn't prevent rust as well as this stuff. TopCote has no downside
to it that I can find as long as you don't set yourself on fire or use
it as an inhaler...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com