Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT The Storm

The excitement could not be at a higher level, if you need proof of this
turn on the TV to any local Houston station and you will get 24 hour around
the clock coverage. We saw this during Rita 3 years ago and began to see it
last week. This week is different however, we are probably going to have
strong winds for the first time in 25 years.

For the last 48 hours we have witnessed "on the scene" reporters pointing
all the drastic changes that are starting to happen. Tides that would
normally be at a certain level are already 3 maybe 4 inches higher than
normal. With 105 mph winds this has become a "strong and dangerous" storm
as over the last 48 hours the winds have increased by 5 MPH! We have been
reminded over and over and over and over again what a Cat 5 storm could do
although this one is barely a Cat 2 and expected to be a Cat 1 at land fall.
It could however magically be a CAT 4 if the media's wishes come true.
Hell, we are way behind everyone else in number of storms, we need a bad
one, we are due and we want what is due us. Oh!... back to reality.

I cannot tell you how informative it is to see lines of people waiting for
buses to evacuate from Galveston Island. The news coverage there is
shockingly thorough. I have learned what a couple of teen age girls think
of the whole situation and that they are more behaved than the reporters
kids. I have learned just how important it is that a 10 year old boy can
take his little dog on the bus ride also. When asked for the 3rd or 4th
time how important it was for him to be able to take his pooch he finally
came up with, "A Lot". And it only took 5 minutes to get the answer that
the reporter was apparently looking for.

Another exciting scene was from a street corner in Galveston where we all
witnessed cars going down the street in lighter than normal traffic. Across
the street we saw a boarded up fast food place and on our side of the street
we saw a Sonic that was open for business. An Exxon station had cars
filling up with gas! Oh! Be still my Heart!

If you were wondering, Home Depot has wood and generators, Good to know and
well worthy of round the clock coverage. I think I will run out to Home
Depot in a few minutes to pick up some stain and get in line.

Countless references and comparisons have been made of this storm to Carla.
Carla had its strong effects here 47 years ago and occasionally there is a
reference to the most recent storm Alicia, which hit here in 1983. To be
honest with you I think we get snow more often than hurricanes. Darn!

I know that soon we will have the relief of seeing our local reporters
changing over into their Kmart approved Alaskan King Crab fisherman gear to
weather the first sprinkles of precipitation preceding the storm. It goes
with out saying that all of them will be go out to the water to stand ankle
deep in water and describe how "treacherous" the water is. They will point
out that the water goes up and down the coast line as far as the eye can
see.
As the storm nears the reporters will seamlessly go in to "wind reporting
mode". Your apparently cannot really get a grasp of how windy it is unless
you watch a reporter do his thing, or go outside your self. Yes the
reporters put on a good show and it keeps your attention as you look for the
remote to find another channel. "Its really beginning to pick up" yells
the reporter, I can hardly stand up in the wind, watch me squat and lean in
to the breeze that is hardly strong enough to blow my pony tails or my loose
fitting cap. During this interesting display you see a family of 4 from
Oklahoma enjoying the beach in the back ground. And for those of you that
don't get out much there are countless shots of boats tied up at the docks.
I was surprised to notice that there were no cars tied up at the docks.

ANY WAY...... I have personally been through 4 hurricanes in my 54 years,
my first 3 were in Corpus Christi before I was 15 years old. Houston has
had 1 storm since, and I was in it also. My third storm in Corpus Christi
started out as a lot of fun as I leaned at an angle into the early winds in
our front yard, 3 hours later I believed that my family and I would be
killed. As we stick our heads out the front door for the first time there
was nothing quite like seeing an entire complete roof sitting in our front
yard and blocking the street. It came from the house across the street .
Looking to the left the apartment complex 1 block away is all but gone.
Looking right and 3 houses down more houses with walls but no roofs. All of
these homes and the apartment complex were less than 6 years old. That was
38 years ago and it still seems like yesterday.
Typically a hurricane brings a lot of wide spread and varying degree of
destruction and for probably 90% of the people that experience one there is
not much to talk about except the reporters on TV. The loss of electricity
is typically the biggest problem to the majority. Occasionally a storm is
terrible beyond a reporters wildest expectations. More often a storm is
built up to be more terrible that it turns out to be. IMHO reporters
basically do a disservice to the community. They let their excitement get
in the way of facts. They scare most into a panic with exaggerated
adjectives that simply are not true. If the reporters were to ever once
experience a storm that is terrible I highly suspect that they would cover
their next storm from a few hundred miles inland.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

We went through the Hurricanes that hit Wilmington North Carolina in the
late 1990's.

We found it amusing to watch the reporters show the sea grass and
discuss how hard the wind was blowing. One of the favorite spot to show
how bad the flooding was, was to show pictures of an area of the county
that flooded in a heavy dew.

Another thing was the reporters who would go out on the areas of
Wrightsville Beach, which are only marginally suitable for building
houses in normal times, and show how the ocean was eroding the beach and
threatening the buildings.

I believe the highest spot in the county is only 24 feet above sea level.

I thing the solution to damage in hurricane comes from the bible. If
you build you house on the sand expect the wind and wave to wash it
away. If you build on a rock (Or high ground) you are not going to have
a problem in a hurricane with winds.

With our world of 100% news coverage the reporters have to make
everything seem to be the end of the world to maintain the viewers who
are use to the violence of TV shows today.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

snip wonderful weather report synopsis

We don't have that kind of weather around here.

But we do have the weather whores who go berserk at the sight a few
snowflakes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
The excitement could not be at a higher level, if you need proof of this
turn on the TV to any local Houston station and you will get 24 hour
around the clock coverage. We saw this during Rita 3 years ago and began
to see it last week. This week is different however, we are probably
going to have strong winds for the first time in 25 years.

snip
That is just SOP for storm reporting. Anyway, I spent a lot of time
yesterday trying to determine what they know about the storm path. The
conclusion is that Fort Worth may or may not see much.
However, did you see that Childress recieved 6 inches of rain yesterday from
a Pacific storm? It certainly is a very long way from Childress, Tx, to the
Pacific Ocean.

As near as I can tell, we can expect 45 mph winds and 2 inches of rain. We
get lots more of each from spring thunderstorms.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Keith nuttle" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
[...]

I live inland in an area hit by the remains of a hurricane in 1954, the wind
was not bad but it rained for several days straight after a week of earlier
rain, causing floods. Roads were damaged, trailer parks washed out and
houses were damaged. After that episode, the government declared ALL areas
that were flooded were to become permanent flood zone with no building was
to be ever allowed on the lands. It remains that way today. The flood zones
are all parks. Plus we have never had a repeat of the earlier hurricane
floods.

Why do other governments forget the past and allow houses to be built in
unsafe areas?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT The Storm (hijacking from Leon's account)

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:39:10 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

[lots of stuff I can identify with snipped]

Having been raised in South Florida for 13 years, then living there
for four years again 30 years later, and now in North Florida for a
second five year tour (total 28 years in Florida), I've had more
experience with hurricanes than some folks. I can't even name all the
hurricanes I've been through. I know that we were in the eye of two of
them in the '60s (meaning they passed right over us), and Charlie in
'04 went right over us, too. Anyone who knows anything about
hurricanes, however, knows that you can be quite a ways from the eye
and still be significantly impacted.

Coverage sure has changed. Back in the day, one usually got one, maybe
two updates per day, which, with a storm moving 30 miles per hour or
less, is about all you need. Today's 24/7 coverage is ridiculous.
Imagine your relative is driving 1000 miles to visit you. Imagine them
talking to you on their cell every mile of the way to keep you updated
on their progress. It won't take but about 30 minutes for one or both
of you decide that you really don't need to hear from them again until
lunch or the motel. That's about what 24/7 coverage of hurricanes is
like.

I started getting upset with the constant updating phenomenon with
Georges in 1998. We were visitng some friends in TN who had friends in
Key West. They were practicallly glued to the Commercial Channel (some
call it the weather channel, although it probably should be the
Whether Channel, because anytime you tune in, there's a 50/50 chance
of whether you'll see any actual content or not). I could understand
their concern for their friends, but they were nearly 1000 miles away,
and there was nothing they could do about it. Their constant, and
pointless focus was a huge distraction in our activities. I tried to
share my long experience with hurricanes to allay their concerns but
the damned Whether Channel was singing its siren song.

A year later, back to South Florida, we got Irene, which was SWMBO's
first hurricane. A glancing blow, if you want to call it that
(euphemistically or otherwise), the eye passed about 25 miles west of
us, but it was less a wind hurricane than a rain hurricane. Broward
County was absolutely drenched. The Whether Channel and other media
had SWMBO convinced she needed to get out in the gray, blustery,
spitty days before its arrival to stock up on milk and plywood--the
archetypal staples of hurricane "readiness" (followed closely by
flashlight batteries).

We got the hat trick here in Volusia County in 2004 with Charlie,
Frances, and Jeanne. By the time of Jeanne, there weren't any tree
branches or other detritus left to blow around, so it was fairly
benign. We still spent two days without power. No big deal, you say?
Try that with a CPAP machine, sometime.

And of course there's Katrina. Poor New Orleans. Unfortunately,
everyone (except those who lived it) forgets that Miami got pounded
with Katrina first. Yeah, yeah--scale--I know. It all depends on whose
ox is being gored. Then, while all the focus was on her devastating
effects in NOLA, Miami gets hammered again with Wilma. The condo we
lived iin (but not by then, although my mother is still there) still
hasn't fully recovered from Wilma.

The recent Fay-asco had/has me so POed I can't see straight. I didn't
make the scale, and maybe it needs to be revisited, but technically
tropical storms have wind speeds from 39 MPH to 73 MPH. I can assure
you that there is a world of difference in those marginal speeds. In
the entire coverage of the Fay-asco in Florida (was it two weeks?) I
never saw a wind speed reported higher than 40 MPH.

Yeah, there was lots of rain--particularly in Brevard County (the
county south of us). But every time I looked outside, my front yard
was dead calm--maybe some tops movement in the higher trees around,
but not really much more than usual. And yet, the Whether Channel (and
everyone else) hammered, hammered, hammered (obligatory WW reference?)
about Tropical Storm Fay.

You see, if you sell a tropical storm as sort of a heartbeat away from
a hurricane, you have marketing opportunitie$ galore. But if you
report it as a barely enhanced tropical depression, you got squadoosh.
Follow the money. Thus, we got days and days of "almost a hurricane"
coverage, when in truth, it was barely a tropical storm.

Land fall. It hit Key West, it hit Collier County (Naples), it crossed
the state (and by the way, the Whether Channel morons were predicting
it would increase in strength as it went across, in utter defiance of
the laws of hurricane physics and the collective conventional
hurricane wisdom developed in the last century), soaked Brevard
County, sat off the coast of Daytonoa (just a couple of miles from
me), and meandered north toward Jacksonville.

Now, I can assure you from contemporaneous and on-the-scene
experience, that it's virtually impossible to claim that it was out to
sea at any point between Brevard and Duval (Jacksonville) Counties.
Even if one had been able to pinpoint some imaginary spot in the "eye"
(which was almost always poorly defined at that point in the storm) as
being offshore (for "landfall" counting purposes), a cyclone is so
huge that anyone within 100 miles of that spot is laughing wet at the
notion that it's not still "ashore."

So how did we jump from two landfalls and a vaguely theoritical
potential third at Jacksonville, to four? I maintain it never left the
state after Naples (until after crossing the Gulf shore westward from
Jacksonville), thus rendering its appearance in Jacksonville as part
of the same, second landfall. I'll concede that it might possibly,
somehow have been a third landfall at Jax, if the definition or
positon was wildly exaggerated, but they were "forecasting" a fourth
at that point. It's a miracle.

Don't even get me started on forecast tracks. A tropical wave 2000
miles east of Barbados and they post a predicted track through Florida
(almost two weeks hence). Threre will be people in the area around me
talking about "the hurricane we're getting." Ludicrous doesn't
remotely begin to describe it. And they don't even fill their bathtubs
or start stocking up on milk and plywood...

One final thought, which I'm confident will net agreement from Leon
based on his report of the reporting: do we really need to see one
more idiot in a canoe paddling down a street ankle deep in water? Or
however deep it might be?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Taken from the MSNBC front page OH BROTHER

Officials: Flee Ike or 'face certain death'

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message ...
The excitement could not be at a higher level, if you need proof of this
turn on the TV to any local Houston station and you will get 24 hour
around the clock coverage. We saw this during Rita 3 years ago and began
to see it last week. This week is different however, we are probably
going to have strong winds for the first time in 25 years.

Leon ... hit the power button, put the remote down, and back away from that
TV!! g, d &r

My next door neighbor (from CA, and obviously sorry she had elected to stay)
asked me this morning what to do ... told her the first thing was to turn
off the damn TV!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
Officials: Flee Ike or 'face certain death'

Well, if the forecast 20-ft+ storm surge really materializes and you're
one of those in such low-lying area (to whom the directive/warning was
aimed), that's pretty good sum up of likely consequence. And, if one
waits to see and it does happen, it'll be too late.

If, otoh, one is farther inland/higher and has good protection, odds are
better.

From what I hear/see, the storm surge from Ikey is much higher than
what would normally be expected from a Cat 2 and the size of the cyclone
is quite large extending the surge area extensively.

So, what are they _supposed_ to say?

"Hang around, hope you can swim?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:39:48 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

Officials: Flee Ike or 'face certain death'

Got to admire our public officials for their calm, level headed,
rational, panic-avoidance approach to unusual circumstances.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
Officials: Flee Ike or 'face certain death'

Well, if the forecast 20-ft+ storm surge really materializes and you're
one of those in such low-lying area (to whom the directive/warning was
aimed), that's pretty good sum up of likely consequence. And, if one
waits to see and it does happen, it'll be too late.

The announcement mentioned anything about specific areas.

From what I hear/see, the storm surge from Ikey is much higher than what
would normally be expected from a Cat 2 and the size of the cyclone is
quite large extending the surge area extensively.

So, what are they _supposed_ to say?

"Hang around, hope you can swim?"

They may as well have made that announcement a week from now. The area has
been evacuating for 2 days. The head line announcement was aimed at the
masses. The masses are ahead of the announcement. They need to be
targeting individuals that are staying in dangerous areas.

The local government has been making it a "Big Point" for every one to stay
put unless you are in a tidal surge area. If every one that is going to be
affected by Ike were to evacuate there certainly would be many more deaths.
During the last exodus 3 years ago 2 million people evacuated the city and
that was started by reckless comments like the one I quoted. Its exactly
like yelling "FIRE" in a movie theater with limited exits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message ...
The excitement could not be at a higher level, if you need proof of this
turn on the TV to any local Houston station and you will get 24 hour
around the clock coverage. We saw this during Rita 3 years ago and began
to see it last week. This week is different however, we are probably
going to have strong winds for the first time in 25 years.

Leon ... hit the power button, put the remote down, and back away from
that TV!! g, d &r

My next door neighbor (from CA, and obviously sorry she had elected to
stay) asked me this morning what to do ... told her the first thing was to
turn off the damn TV!

I literally sent this comical bit to channel 2, 11, 13, and The Weather
Channel. Channel 11 IIRC responded that they were sorry that I was so
jaded. They apparently missed the point.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Officials: Flee Ike or 'face certain death'

they may be wrong but they may be right! Haveing been through 2 BAD
ones and several false ones I understand where you are coming from but
given the shear size of this beast I would be erring on the safe side.
JMHO. we hope to hear from ya in a few days. good luck to our
houstonians and those from surrounding area's. I realy hope the media
is just hyping it up! :-]

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Officials: Flee Ike or 'face certain death'

Got to admire our public officials for their calm, level headed,
rational, panic-avoidance approach to unusual circumstances.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Actually, I have to agree. The local government seems to be on top of the
situation and is requesting that only people that live in certain zip codes
evacuate. They don't want to see a replay of what the media started 3 years
ago. I'm sure that if the comment I copy/pasted was a government remark it
was certainly taken out of context.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Officials: Flee Ike or 'face certain death'

they may be wrong but they may be right! Haveing been through 2 BAD
ones and several false ones I understand where you are coming from but
given the shear size of this beast I would be erring on the safe side.
JMHO. we hope to hear from ya in a few days. good luck to our
houstonians and those from surrounding area's. I realy hope the media
is just hyping it up! :-]

skeez

The point I am trying to make is that 98% of the news coverage is more of a
holiday for the reporters to play at the beach. They really are not being
of any help at all. Only the announcement by city officials are of any
value. And as I stated in another response, the local government only wants
those in certain zip codes to evacuate and for every one else to stay in
place to make room on the roads for the those that need to evacuate. It
would be impossible for every one in the Houston Metro area to flee Ike,
that was proven with disastrous results 3 years ago with Rita.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:53:49 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

lmao. I know what you are saying. they make it realy hard to believe
them! If you are at least 30 feet above sea level there probly isnt
much to worry about exept wind and rain. I just hope the oil rigs and
refineries come through all this in good shape. our gas here in N.C.
has gone up over 50 cents a gallon in the lest 3 days! We are over 4
bucks a gallon in some places again! It's all bull****! IF stuff gets
destroyed THEN we should see the rising prices. NOT NOW!!! anyway our
thoughts are with you folks down there and hope all goes well. KEEP UR
HEAD DOWN!!! :- ]

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

The point I am trying to make is that 98% of the news coverage is more of
a holiday for the reporters to play at the beach. They really are not
being of any help at all. Only the announcement by city officials are of
any value. And as I stated in another response, the local government only
wants those in certain zip codes to evacuate and for every one else to
stay in place to make room on the roads for the those that need to
evacuate. It would be impossible for every one in the Houston Metro area
to flee Ike, that was proven with disastrous results 3 years ago with
Rita.

I can already see the commercials from "The Texas Hammer" next week: "If you
listened to their advice and stayed put and got hurt, call 1 800- ..."

FYI: Finally got my generator started this morning ... and it runs the
margarita machine just fine!

Nuff said!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
Officials: Flee Ike or 'face certain death'

Well, if the forecast 20-ft+ storm surge really materializes and you're
one of those in such low-lying area (to whom the directive/warning was
aimed), that's pretty good sum up of likely consequence. And, if one
waits to see and it does happen, it'll be too late.

The announcement mentioned anything about specific areas.

I heard it last night and it was quite specific.

... They need to be
targeting individuals that are staying in dangerous areas.

That was exactly what the announcement from the hurricane center was after.

It's possible MSNBC didn't translate the message, they I don't get.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 12, 11:55*am, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
"Leon" *wrote

snip wonderful weather report synopsis

We don't have that kind of weather around here.

But we do have the weather whores who go berserk at the sight a few
snowflakes.

Sounds like here. The Great Blizzard of...Christ, I forget which
yea...'96?. Almost no wind, 18" of snow, gone in two days. It nearly
made me wish for a blizzard so some of these turkeys--and it was NOT
the weather people--could see and feel what it is like. I have been
through ONE, and that'll do me. The newspapers dragged that one out,
not the TV guys.

The biggest problem with all this non-news today is the ever-
increasing size of the "news hole", which is the part of a newspaper
that is filled with news and opinion, between the ads. Today, there
are news holes galore. Fewer newspapers. More TV. TV news used to be a
short take in the a.m., a blip at noon, and 30 minutes each of local
and national/international in the evening, with a wind-up at 11 (or 10
in Central time zones, etc.). Today, there are several stations that
do nothing but news...slanted whichever way you prefer. Each local
network station now has at least an hour in the a.m., a half hour at
noon, and the traditional hour in the evening, plus nightly. Then they
toss in another half hour in a related station at 10, here (east).
There are probably a dozen channels running news at any particular
time, at least one of which does nothing but weather. All of this
means even the simplest bit of dithering by weather or person becomes
urgent news, dramatized beyond anything like common sense. There used
to be an old saying amongst car salesmen, "Money talks, bull****
walks." Today, bull**** leads any time, and no longer walks, as it
zips along with the speed of electrons fornicating...with our heads.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote \

I literally sent this comical bit to channel 2, 11, 13, and The Weather
Channel. Channel 11 IIRC responded that they were sorry that I was so
jaded. They apparently missed the point.

No damn wonder ... they share a large bit of the responsibility for the
"crying wolf" that resulted in 10 times more deaths from the last
"evacuation", than from the storm itself.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

skeez wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:53:49 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Gas went up 13 cents a litre here in Toronto, Ontario Canada last night,
which is just shy of 50 cents a US gallon. We have our own gas and oil,
and are a major exporter to the US, go figure.

I just can't understand it.
--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:

... I'm sure that if the comment I copy/pasted was a government remark it
was certainly taken out of context.

If that's all that was given, it certainly was. I saw the actual
announcement/warning last night on one of the networks; I forget which.
repeatedly this was _ONLY_ for those who would be affected by 20+ storm
surge, most particularly those in headwaters of inlets, etc. Others on
high ground were told to hunker down (or up, maybe ).

OTOH, they were adamant that if you're in low area, this'un's gonna' be
bad and your chances of riding it out in those areas aren't good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:12:38 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Leon" wrote

[...]

DAMN!!! that sounds like a winner! too bad all flights have been
canceled! I havent been to a hurricane party in quite a while! as soon
as the power comes back y'all let us know your ok. oh and um....
stock up on ice. them margaritas aint worth a damn HOT.............

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I've wondered for years about these news types who chopper into
distressed areas to report on food, power and water shortages, whilst
contributing to same. The mix also includes the idiots who get into
genuinely dangerous storm areas and then require official help to get
out, help that might better be extended to "less important" people
like Joe and Jane Average who couldn't make it out on their own in
time for a lack of money, power, food, water.

We might be one devil of a lot better off if reporters of any stripe
went back to reporting the news, rather than trying to be part of it.
We'd certainly learn more of substance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

yeh go figgure! In a word..... GREED !!!!!!!!!!!!! grab ur ankles! I
would laugh but it aint funny!

skeez

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:16:28 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Leon" wrote \

I literally sent this comical bit to channel 2, 11, 13, and The Weather
Channel. Channel 11 IIRC responded that they were sorry that I was so
jaded. They apparently missed the point.

No damn wonder ... they share a large bit of the responsibility for the
"crying wolf" that resulted in 10 times more deaths from the last
"evacuation", than from the storm itself.

its all about creating the NEXT headline! after the storm they get a
few more days to shock us with the death toll and damage estimates!
Then we git ta hear about how the bubmint didnt do enough! When they
run out of real news they just repeat it add nausium or simply make
sumpin up!
hm.. think I'll go get that drink now.

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

FrozenNorth wrote:
... We have our own gas and oil,
and are a major exporter to the US, go figure.

Exporter of oil, yes, but are all your refined products domestic?

(I didn't think so, but not sure...)

But even if so, a reduction in US supply of even relatively short
duration will increase demand on Canadian supplies as well as the rest
of the refined markets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Leon wrote:
Officials: Flee Ike or 'face certain death'

Well, if the forecast 20-ft+ storm surge really materializes and you're
one of those in such low-lying area (to whom the directive/warning was
aimed), that's pretty good sum up of likely consequence. And, if one
waits to see and it does happen, it'll be too late.

As I read it, the statement was offered to shoreline residents.

Maybe after Katrina they decided to clarify the words?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That raises the price to $CAN 1.366/litre you do the math, and check my
numbers but I calculate that translates to about $5.50 /gallon in US$ for
regular. Forget bending over, I am getting used to a butt plug.

We have several levels of governament applying sales taxes, and excise taxes
on the price of gas, of course they are percentage based, more money into
the government coffers.....yippeee.

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
... I'm sure that if the comment I copy/pasted was a government remark it
was certainly taken out of context.

If that's all that was given, it certainly was. I saw the actual
announcement/warning last night on one of the networks; I forget which. In
response to the (inevitable) leading questions it was reiterated
repeatedly this was _ONLY_ for those who would be affected by 20+ storm
surge, most particularly those in headwaters of inlets, etc. Others on
high ground were told to hunker down (or up, maybe ).

I saw the same thing Leon saw this morning ... it was a headline blurb/link
on a website, it was most definitely presented "out of context" (but, you
would have only known that if you heard the local evacuation orders, either
locally or on national TV, as you apparently did), ... at the time I thought
it was totally irresponsible. Still do.

AAMOF, the very same is apparently making its way around the world:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4738855.ece

Resulting in a panic call from my oldest daughter in Sheffield, UK ... so
much for "context"!

(Good thing was that I got to see my new grandson, born Tuesday AM, for the
first time ... thank you, Skype!)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

FrozenNorth wrote:
... We have our own gas and oil,
and are a major exporter to the US, go figure.

Exporter of oil, yes, but are all your refined products domestic?

(I didn't think so, but not sure...)

I am not sure about all of them, but gas is definitely refined here.

But even if so, a reduction in US supply of even relatively short
duration will increase demand on Canadian supplies as well as the rest
of the refined markets.

I realize that, but why didn't the price increase wait till there is some
damage, a 3 or 4 day shutdown, shouldn't cause this, especially when the
market price of oil actually dropped yesterday.
--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

I can already see the commercials from "The Texas Hammer" next week: "If you
listened to their advice and stayed put and got hurt, call 1 800- ..."

FYI: Finally got my generator started this morning ... and it runs the
margarita machine just fine!

Nuff said!

Margaritas? You must be in a high class area. Around Buffalo, for our
weather emergencies, it's a "six pack".

"As Mayor, Griffin was known for his outspoken personality and sometimes
blunt comments. In one of his first statements as mayor, he recommended
Buffalo residents respond to the Blizzard of 1977 and "go home, watch
channel 7 and buy a six pack of "Genny" (A beer brand from High Falls
Brewing Company in Rochester, NY) and stay home."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Griffin

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote:

"As Mayor, Griffin was known for his outspoken personality and
sometimes blunt comments. In one of his first statements as mayor,
he recommended Buffalo residents respond to the Blizzard of 1977 and
"go home, watch channel 7 and buy a six pack of "Genny" (A beer
brand from High Falls Brewing Company in Rochester, NY) and stay
home."

1976-77 & 1977-78 were both "Go home and stay there" winters in
Cleveland.

Tough to get out and get the Genny Cream Ale AKA: "Genny Screams", and
for good reason.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Swingman wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
... I'm sure that if the comment I copy/pasted was a government remark it
was certainly taken out of context.

If that's all that was given, it certainly was. I saw the actual
announcement/warning last night on one of the networks; I forget which. In
response to the (inevitable) leading questions it was reiterated
repeatedly this was _ONLY_ for those who would be affected by 20+ storm
surge, most particularly those in headwaters of inlets, etc. Others on
high ground were told to hunker down (or up, maybe ).

I saw the same thing Leon saw this morning ... it was a headline blurb/link
on a website, it was most definitely presented "out of context" (but, you
would have only known that if you heard the local evacuation orders, either
locally or on national TV, as you apparently did), ... at the time I thought
it was totally irresponsible. Still do.

In that case that only would confirm my opinion of MSNBC (assuming it
was, indeed them, your description makes me wonder) as I just went and
looked at their website and if it was there, it isn't now.

The words of the warning were indeed those quoted but the context was
clear if reported. I've not heard anything local, this was just a news
story at 10 last night on the magnitude of the expected surge owing to
the size of the cyclone associated w/ this particular storm (which is
pretty impressive, ya' gotta' admit). We're 6-700+ miles away altho
have family scattered from Port Arthur, Lake Jackson, Bay City to
Brownsville who'll get various amounts of effects.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

FrozenNorth wrote:
dpb wrote:

FrozenNorth wrote:
... We have our own gas and oil,
and are a major exporter to the US, go figure.

Exporter of oil, yes, but are all your refined products domestic?

(I didn't think so, but not sure...)

I am not sure about all of them, but gas is definitely refined here.

I didn't word the question quite right, sorry.

What percentage of gasoline is refined domestically?

But even if so, a reduction in US supply of even relatively short
duration will increase demand on Canadian supplies as well as the rest
of the refined markets.

I realize that, but why didn't the price increase wait till there is some
damage, a 3 or 4 day shutdown, shouldn't cause this, especially when the
market price of oil actually dropped yesterday.

Because demand has already gone up (all those refugees and
hunkerers-down all filled up and are stocking up for the duration) and
the refineries in the US in the path have already been shut down for
several days. Also don't forget all the millions like me who farms and
others w/ businesses large and small and simply the commuters who also
filled up/stocked up in anticipation in order to beat the inevitable
spike and, in my case, to ensure not running short during a critical
field work season. I contributed to that as I bought an additional 1000
gal of diesel a month earlier than otherwise would have myself as well
as filling all the trucks and the 40 gal transport gasoline tank--that
was about 200 gal of gasoline there. I'm just one guy 800 miles away;
how many millions are in the direct line doing similar?

There's essentially no barrel/tank in the supply line; it's a pipe so
when the feed tap is squeezed, the outflow goes down almost instantaneously.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote
Swingman wrote:

\
FYI: Finally got my generator started this morning ... and it runs the
margarita machine just fine!

Nuff said!

Margaritas? You must be in a high class area. Around Buffalo, for our
weather emergencies, it's a "six pack".

No ... just no such thing as a low class coon ass, cher!

And with that in mind, I cooked up a big pot of rice this morning. Because
it'll keep without refrigeration for a few days and it goes good, in a
pinch, with canned things heated on a gas burner, like chile, or beans, or
both, especially if you season it right.

My big 2 quart thermos is already nestled in the freezer ... full of a 1/2
gallon of frozen margarita's, the first batch for emergency only ... and
I've got the blender full with another batch in there also, for tonight, for
the pre-emergency.

After all, first things first ... no good coonass will face danger without
cooking something up, and, of course, having necessary libations prepared in
advance alleviates any tedious, unnecessary suffering.

That'll hold me 'til the eye passes over ... then the generator thing can
kick in.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

LOL.

I'm in NorCal, but spent some time in Houston. We went through Alicia
as well.

I like the reporters who stand on the Galveston sea wall (which is
designed to absorb the wave energy by directing it upwards), and
marvel at the "height of the waves blasting the sea wall".

Sheesh

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:
.. We still spent two days without power. No big deal, you say?
Try that with a CPAP machine, sometime.

Next time a electrical outage is coming your way, try a voltage converter
and a 12 volt battery for your C-Pap.....I've gone several days and probably
could have gone days longer from a single charge on a simple deep cycle
battery. The Mrs. refused to go camping with me if I didn't bring my
C-pap...it was either the snoring or the not breathing part that inspired
herG. Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Leon wrote:
Officials: Flee Ike or 'face certain death'
Well, if the forecast 20-ft+ storm surge really materializes and you're
one of those in such low-lying area (to whom the directive/warning was
aimed), that's pretty good sum up of likely consequence. And, if one
waits to see and it does happen, it'll be too late.

The announcement mentioned anything about specific areas.

I heard it last night and it was quite specific.

... They need to be targeting individuals that are staying in dangerous
areas.

That was exactly what the announcement from the hurricane center was
after.

My son saw the same head line on sbc.yahoo.com.

It's possible MSNBC didn't translate the message, they I don't get.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"skeez" wrote in message

lmao. I know what you are saying. they make it realy hard to believe
them! If you are at least 30 feet above sea level there probly isnt
much to worry about exept wind and rain. I just hope the oil rigs and
refineries come through all this in good shape. our gas here in N.C.
has gone up over 50 cents a gallon in the lest 3 days! We are over 4
bucks a gallon in some places again! It's all bull****! IF stuff gets
destroyed THEN we should see the rising prices. NOT NOW!!! anyway our
thoughts are with you folks down there and hope all goes well. KEEP UR
HEAD DOWN!!! :- ]

skeez

I think a majority of Houston is probably as high up as my home or in the
vicinity. My home is 81' above sea level.
Rising gas prices with no immediate reason is price gouging. Prices went up
a couple of cents with Gustov and so far this storm is looking like a non
event wind wise. It is now 5:30 and so far no rain or any wind to speak of
in SW Houston. The eye is acutely 90 miles across and the center is about
120 miles from Galveston. So far they are not getting any winds that are
much more than normal coastal winds although the surf is certainly up.
20 -40 mph. Buoy markers near the eye have indicated winds of less than 60
mph. I am seriously wondering if we will get any rain at all at this point.

Except for the areas that were expected to flood and the areas that flood
during a heavy rain I think we are going to end up dodging the a minor
bullet.

Thank you for the thoughts.

STORM SHUTTERS J T Woodworking 0 September 5th 07 09:58 AM
Big storm yesterday Prometheus Woodturning 2 July 25th 05 12:54 AM
Storm Brewing at FWW [email protected] Woodworking 38 June 22nd 05 10:40 PM
OT - Hail Storm J T Woodworking 11 February 9th 05 06:44 PM
Storm door Paul Home Repair 4 October 14th 04 01:41 AM