Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Taken from the MSNBC front page OH BROTHER

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message

Gas went up 13 cents a litre here in Toronto, Ontario Canada last night,
which is just shy of 50 cents a US gallon. We have our own gas and oil,
and are a major exporter to the US, go figure.

I just can't understand it.
--
Froz...

M a y b e Ontario expects the winds from Ike to reach you. My son was
watching the news in Chicago and they said thay would be feeling the effects
of the storm. Yes I cannot understand it either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote

The point I am trying to make is that 98% of the news coverage is more of
a holiday for the reporters to play at the beach. They really are not
being of any help at all. Only the announcement by city officials are of
any value. And as I stated in another response, the local government
only wants those in certain zip codes to evacuate and for every one else
to stay in place to make room on the roads for the those that need to
evacuate. It would be impossible for every one in the Houston Metro area
to flee Ike, that was proven with disastrous results 3 years ago with
Rita.

I can already see the commercials from "The Texas Hammer" next week: "If
you listened to their advice and stayed put and got hurt, call 1 800- ..."

The Tough Smart Lawyure! :!)

FYI: Finally got my generator started this morning ... and it runs the
margarita machine just fine!

Now I can relax. Actually I was thinking about coming over tonight. :~) I
think this is going to be a non event. We'll hollar at you tomorrow.

Nuff said!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote
"Nova" wrote
Swingman wrote:

\
FYI: Finally got my generator started this morning ... and it runs the
margarita machine just fine!

Nuff said!

Margaritas? You must be in a high class area. Around Buffalo, for our
weather emergencies, it's a "six pack".

No ... just no such thing as a low class coon ass, cher!

And with that in mind, I cooked up a big pot of rice this morning. Because
it'll keep without refrigeration for a few days and it goes good, in a
pinch, with canned things heated on a gas burner, like chile, or beans, or
both, especially if you season it right.

My big 2 quart thermos is already nestled in the freezer ... full of a 1/2
gallon of frozen margarita's, the first batch for emergency only ... and
I've got the blender full with another batch in there also, for tonight,
for the pre-emergency.

After all, first things first ... no good coonass will face danger without
cooking something up, and, of course, having necessary libations prepared
in advance alleviates any tedious, unnecessary suffering.

That'll hold me 'til the eye passes over ... then the generator thing can
kick in.

I just have to say this Swingman. You know how to handle these
civil/weather emergencies with style!

But I would also comment that you are doing a number of things that your
neighbors are not. Good things, sensible things, Things that will feed you,
etc. You have even planned for some medicinal drinks!

And most importantly, you are doing so with a sense of humor. Good on ya'
son.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
... I am seriously wondering if we will get any rain at all at this point.

Don't see how you can possibly expect to not get the rain bands when it
gets there--it's still 100 miles away or so at the moment w/ the rain
just now (6PM CDT) approaching Galveston at least according to Houston
local radar.

Except for the areas that were expected to flood and the areas that flood
during a heavy rain I think we are going to end up dodging the a minor
bullet.

Come midnight to 2AM time frame it'll probably be a pretty good blow but
sustained would be pretty likely to not make 100mph it would appear--a
good KS t-storm except it'll take longer to get by.

Keep your head down...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

Margaritas? You must be in a high class area. Around Buffalo, for our
weather emergencies, it's a "six pack".

Same for CT! G

Since weather emergencies usually involve snow, well... a little snow,
compared to Buffalo, it all works well together.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message

Gas went up 13 cents a litre here in Toronto, Ontario Canada last night,
which is just shy of 50 cents a US gallon. We have our own gas and oil,
and are a major exporter to the US, go figure.

I just can't understand it.
--
Froz...

M a y b e Ontario expects the winds from Ike to reach you. My son was
watching the news in Chicago and they said thay would be feeling the
effects
of the storm. Yes I cannot understand it either.

The remnants of Gustav blew through here, got a bit breezy and a few
showers, they are predicting Ike will come here by the end of the weekend,
guess it is going to speed up, but it will just be a late summer storm, who
cares.

Still pondering....
--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:42:16 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

(Good thing was that I got to see my new grandson, born Tuesday AM, for the
first time ... thank you, Skype!)

Congratulations. That pretty much trumps everything else.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:42:16 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

(Good thing was that I got to see my new grandson, born Tuesday AM, for
the
first time ... thank you, Skype!)

Congratulations. That pretty much trumps everything else.

Thanks, Frank! He's the spitting image of his three year old brother. I'm
blessed ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT The Storm

Leon wrote:

The excitement could not be at a higher level, if you need proof of this
turn on the TV to any local Houston station and you will get 24 hour
around
the clock coverage. We saw this during Rita 3 years ago and began to see
it
last week. This week is different however, we are probably going to have
strong winds for the first time in 25 years.

Yep, nothing more silly than seeing a bunch of reporters standing in the
path of a storm proving that rain is wet.

Leon, Swingman, and the rest of ya'll in the Houston and Galveston areas,
take care and stay safe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Leon, that was the best coverage of coverage I've read. Thanks for
putting into enjoyable words what "jades" many of us.

IMHO reporters basically do a disservice to the community.

Understatement.

They let their excitement get in the way of facts.

You give them too much credit. I think they simply lie and make stuff
up to sell the news, or their personal agenda's.

They scare most into a panic with exaggerated adjectives that simply are not true.

It is rather funny that these folks have no problem describing how the
winds are building to dangerous levels while you can actually see palm
branches gently moving around in the background. We had a snow storm
here about 12 years ago that dropped 36" of snow. I could find no more
than 18" on the ground and noted that along the road where the snow
plows deposit the snow, it was not even close to what 3' of snow would
leave behind. The amazing thing is how many people actually believe
what they say even if what they actually can see is far different.

The really nasty thing is the news does this same crap with everything,
just that with the weather, you can actually see the when they are lying
or telling/showing half truths. Most of the time you have no idea what
the real truth is, only what they are telling you.

When you see some reporter floating around in a canoe pretending the
water is deep, only to learn it was 3" of water, you tend to get jaded.

The real problem of course is that no one has a clue when they happen to
be telling the truth. Crying wolf falsely over and over again will
always lead to trouble.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
Leon wrote:

[...]

I once had a weather man tell me how to tell if he was lying or not. He
said to watch his lips. If they were moving he was .....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 14, 1:41*pm, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
The real problem of course is that no one has a clue when they happen to
be telling the truth. *Crying wolf falsely over and over again will
always lead to trouble.

I once had a weather man tell me how to tell if he was lying or not. He
said to watch his lips. If they were moving he was .....

The same rule of thumb applies to politicians.

--

FF

STORM SHUTTERS J T Woodworking 0 September 5th 07 09:58 AM
Big storm yesterday Prometheus Woodturning 2 July 25th 05 12:54 AM
Storm Brewing at FWW [email protected] Woodworking 38 June 22nd 05 10:40 PM
OT - Hail Storm J T Woodworking 11 February 9th 05 06:44 PM
Storm door Paul Home Repair 4 October 14th 04 01:41 AM