Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Taken from the MSNBC front page OH BROTHER

FrozenNorth wrote:
dpb wrote:

FrozenNorth wrote:
... We have our own gas and oil,
and are a major exporter to the US, go figure.

Exporter of oil, yes, but are all your refined products domestic?

(I didn't think so, but not sure...)

I am not sure about all of them, but gas is definitely refined here.

I didn't word the question quite right, sorry.

What percentage of gasoline is refined domestically?

But even if so, a reduction in US supply of even relatively short
duration will increase demand on Canadian supplies as well as the rest
of the refined markets.

I realize that, but why didn't the price increase wait till there is some
damage, a 3 or 4 day shutdown, shouldn't cause this, especially when the
market price of oil actually dropped yesterday.

Because demand has already gone up (all those refugees and
hunkerers-down all filled up and are stocking up for the duration) and
the refineries in the US in the path have already been shut down for
several days. Also don't forget all the millions like me who farms and
others w/ businesses large and small and simply the commuters who also
filled up/stocked up in anticipation in order to beat the inevitable
spike and, in my case, to ensure not running short during a critical
field work season. I contributed to that as I bought an additional 1000
gal of diesel a month earlier than otherwise would have myself as well
as filling all the trucks and the 40 gal transport gasoline tank--that
was about 200 gal of gasoline there. I'm just one guy 800 miles away;
how many millions are in the direct line doing similar?

There's essentially no barrel/tank in the supply line; it's a pipe so
when the feed tap is squeezed, the outflow goes down almost instantaneously.