NoNameAtAll

Default Delta mobile base?

Mobile bases are awfully expensive, but Harbor Freight used to sell one for
less than $20 that came with a few metal pieces and then required you to supply
some wood to complete it and customize the size. Unfortunately it doesn't look
like HF offers this thing any longer. However, I was at a friend's house and
noticed that he has a bunch of Delta mobile bases that look almost identical to
the old HF ones. He received them as a gift and didn't know where they were
purchased. Has anyone else seen these? It sounds like a great way to save some
money and still get the mobility I need for a couple large power tools in my
shop.
Bay Area Dave

The Deltas are $50 a copy. You can get them off the net or a local WW
equipment supply store should have them if they stock Delta. I've got 3
of them; they are great. Word has it that the HF version had inferior
hardware on their "identical" mobile base. I can vouch for the quality
of the Delta hardware (as relates to the mobile bases, that is!).

dave

NoNameAtAll wrote:

Mobile bases are awfully expensive, but Harbor Freight used to sell one for
less than $20 that came with a few metal pieces and then required you to supply
some wood to complete it and customize the size. Unfortunately it doesn't look
like HF offers this thing any longer. However, I was at a friend's house and
noticed that he has a bunch of Delta mobile bases that look almost identical to
the old HF ones. He received them as a gift and didn't know where they were
purchased. Has anyone else seen these? It sounds like a great way to save some
money and still get the mobility I need for a couple large power tools in my
shop.

V.E. Dorn

I have two - they are Delta and were $50 each. They are more money but they
do the job well. They say they will support 300 lbs but if you plan to lift
something that heavy, be sure you use the hardwood like they say. I use
them for things lighter than that and am getting by with pine. The rep also
told me that if you wanted to use 1 1/2 tube steel, you disregard the weight
limit.

Don

NoNameAtAll wrote in message
[...]

Bay Area Dave

I agree. The first ones I built I used poplar. I switched to maple and
it makes for less flexing with heavy equipment of around 200+ lbs. For
something light like a miter saw or 13" planer, poplar is MORE than
adequate.

dave

V.E. Dorn wrote:

[...]

BRuce

I have 2 of the HF in use and other than the bolts they are fine. only
problem is that they have switched to a HTC 4 wheel knock off and the
price is 60 clams. If I could find 2 more of the old ones at $20 I
would buy them in minute.

BRuce

--
---

BRuce

George Berlinger

Hey Dave,
Is that mobile base where you supply the wood sides for
it....$50....looking for one..

NoNameAtAll wrote:

[...]

Wood Butcher

Rockler has theirs on sale for $40 right now. I have 1 and find
it just as well built as the Delta.
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...s.cfm?sku=2383

Art

NoNameAtAll wrote:

[...]

SawEyes

[...]

Here's an article on Mobile Bases that may be of interest:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/art...seshowdown.htm

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 5 Reviews:
- Workshop Essentials Under $30
- Festool PS 300 Jigsaws
- Delta Universal Tenoning Jig
- Ryobi Reciprocating Saw
- Infinity Router Bits

The Davenports

[...]

I have one of these under my band saw...works quite well.

The only thing I'd recommend is to pick up a couple of (what the hell are
they called?) the threaded inserts that hammer in and use them for the
leveling feet instead of the nut on top and under the frame rails. My floors
are VERY much not level and I can pick up an extra 1/4" of adjustment by not
having the screw on the bottom side and it's easier because I have only one
nut to tighten.

It's a pretty pricey fix, tho...I think it cost me all of $1.25 for the two
inserts.

Mike

Larry Jaques

On 09 Jan 2004 16:08:31 GMT, ntiSpam (NoNameAtAll)
brought forth from the murky depths:

Mobile bases are awfully expensive, but Harbor Freight used to sell one for
less than $20 that came with a few metal pieces and then required you to supply
some wood to complete it and customize the size. Unfortunately it doesn't look

I have one of those and they work OK. I think they used to go
for $40 and were on sale at 50% off.

like HF offers this thing any longer. However, I was at a friend's house and
noticed that he has a bunch of Delta mobile bases that look almost identical to
the old HF ones. He received them as a gift and didn't know where they were
purchased. Has anyone else seen these? It sounds like a great way to save some
money and still get the mobility I need for a couple large power tools in my
shop.

All I see there now are the expensive type at $60. Hmmm...

Out of curiosity, I was going to try Northern Tool but instead
dialed in "homier mobile base" and found the base. It looks like
the same type HFT sold a couple years ago but for $2 less money!
http://www.homier.com/itemdetail.asp?i=04529&c=53

Their roller stands look like a good $15 deal, too.
http://www.homier.com/itemdetail.asp?i=04677&c=53
The HFT rollers (singles) weren't bearing style, they were VERY
coarsely made (bushing style) with lousy rolling characteristics.
Does anyone have one of these Homier jobs?

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Cape Cod Bob

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:25:37 GMT, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Out of curiosity, I was going to try Northern Tool but instead
dialed in "homier mobile base" and found the base. It looks like
the same type HFT sold a couple years ago but for $2 less money!
http://www.homier.com/itemdetail.asp?i=04529&c=53

The Homier base is too small to fit an open base 14" bandsaw. DAMHIK
Brian

Great price on that Rockler. I just put a Shop Fox base under my brand
spankin new Grizz 1023, and its a very sturdy base... 600 pound capacity.
$69.95. No wood.

Brian.

NoNameAtAll wrote:

[...]

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:27:26 -0500, Cape Cod Bob
brought forth from the murky depths:

The Homier base is too small to fit an open base 14" bandsaw. DAMHIK

Are they NOT put together with your own wood inserts like the
old HFT bases were, Bob?

-
They who know the truth are not equal to those who love it. -Confucius
---
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming Services

Cape Cod Bob

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 04:38:34 GMT, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:27:26 -0500, Cape Cod Bob
brought forth from the murky depths:

The Homier base is too small to fit an open base 14" bandsaw. DAMHIK

Are they NOT put together with your own wood inserts like the
old HFT bases were, Bob?

No, they are welded steel.
scottso

Most Delta mobile bases are welded steel but they do have a kit that
requires you to use supply your own wood for the supports between their
steel corners. I have both types and the steel is the strongest but the wood
supplied kit allows you to build you own custom size, I used this kit for my
New Yankee Workshop router table.

wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:27:26 -0500, Cape Cod Bob
brought forth from the murky depths:

The Homier base is too small to fit an open base 14" bandsaw. DAMHIK

Are they NOT put together with your own wood inserts like the
old HFT bases were, Bob?

No, they are welded steel.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:17:55 -0500, Cape Cod Bob
brought forth from the murky depths:
The Homier base is too small to fit an open base 14" bandsaw. DAMHIK

Are they NOT put together with your own wood inserts like the
old HFT bases were, Bob?

No, they are welded steel.

Couldn't they easily be hacksawed apart, drilled, and wooden
extensions added to make them fit anything? At that price,
it's worth a try, wot?

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations.

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 17:14:30 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

I agree. The first ones I built I used poplar. I switched to maple and
it makes for less flexing with heavy equipment of around 200+ lbs. For
something light like a miter saw or 13" planer, poplar is MORE than
adequate.

dave

Well, I have a couple I picked up at HF, on a manager's sale,
for $10 each. I used 1.5" square steel tubing, and frankly,
don't think it would bend if I parked a car on it. As I was too
much of a slug to drill the 22 holes needed to mount all the parts,
I ended up welding mine together...which worked great.
This is one place where I REALLY like metal over
wood...
Regards
Dave Mundt

Mark Jerde

Dave Mundt wrote:

As I was too
much of a slug to drill the 22 holes needed to mount all the parts,
I ended up welding mine together...which worked great.

snicker Titebond for Metal (tm). Convenient electric or gas applicator.

I had to get taps & dies to install an aftermarket fence. The 3rd tapped
hole the metalworking bug bit me. By the time I was done he'd burrowed
completely in. My tool porn now includes shears, breaks & welders. g

-- Mark