Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Leon's Racism WAS: WE are losing it.

Leon wrote:
"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
Yes, I'm not clear on how you think the court should
deal with an honest person who refuses to take
a religious oath before giving his testimony.

Please tell us.

Like ANY ONE else, he gets tossed in jail for contempt.

Wrongo. Courts allow a person to solemnly affirm (NOT swear) he will
tell the truth, with no ties to religious belief.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote \

If you believe in the words of the bible, you don't need it to swear to
and actually tell the truth. If you don't believe in the words of the
bible, laws at they are written, and have already committed a crime,
putting your hand on a book is not going to increase your morals and make
you be honest. The bible is a symbol, not a truth machine.

IIRC, that is indeed why the word "affirmation" was added to the phrase
"oath or affirmation", to insure the secular nature of the process.

"Solemnly swear or affirm" is the phrase.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Swingman" wrote:

Au contraire ... it was the other way around. Not too worry, though ..
you're going to have to take it back from Mexico real soon now.

My former barber (30 year Air Force) was fond of saying, "What they lost
with the sword, they are taking back with the pecker."

Of course, that seemed to fit in with Orange County, birthplace of the John
Birch Society.

Not the Birch John Society? (getting back on topic, the Birch John
Society stands foursquare for the preservation of wood privies.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:18:52 -0600, Leon wrote:

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
news

So you would prefer to be judged by wishey washey types, those that cannot
decide one way or the other if they believe in a God or not? I guess it you
murdered some one they may find that it is OK.

It's not "wishy-washy" to realize that you cannot prove a negative. Or, in
the case of religion and politics, a positive either. That's why they
call it a belief, not a fact.

I suspect most religions arose from the innate reluctance of our species
to say "I don't know".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:29:15 -0800, Charlie Self wrote:

I used to laugh--'60s--at the college loan applications that provided
a list of Communist organizations and then required the signer to
affirm that he/she had never belonged to any of these, nor had any
intent to overthrow the government of the U.S. I guess they rooted out
thousands of spies that way. Sure they did. I tried to explain to one
oath-giver that the undercover "intelligence" types would be the first
to sign without a pause, but she couldn't understand that.

I was once asked if I believed in the violent overthrow of the government.
I replied that of course I did, how did the questioner think our country
got started. I got my security clearance :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George" wrote in message
. net...

"Swingman" wrote in message

IIRC, that is indeed why the word "affirmation" was added to the phrase
"oath or affirmation", to insure the secular nature of the process.

"Solemnly swear or affirm" is the phrase.

Not in the context I used it as a "process", which I clearly stated in the
above. Go back and read your Constitution:

"Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following
Oath or Affirmation".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Just Curious" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I am not going to disagree with any thing you have said here but would like
to point out that the word "swear" has several meanings. Some of those
meanings are positive and some are negative. The English version of the
Bible is an interpreted version of the originals. When translated
phrases/words were not always done so to capture the intent of the message.
Thou shall not kill is a common example. Words do not always have the same
meaning when translated. Like most any other language including English the
word can have a totally different meaning when used with other words. He
commonly "leaves" early, He raked the "leaves".
The passage you quoted above IMHO indicates that if you are not true to your
self/ believe what you say, others will recognize this and you will face
those consequences.

I only recall seeing the Bible in court. That was not recently and perhaps
is not the rule today.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 10:42*am, "Leon" wrote:

The English version of the
Bible is an interpreted version of the originals. *When translated
phrases/words were not always done so to capture the intent of the message..

At the wedding in Canaan (Luke 3) water was changed into grape juice,
according to the Greek text.
Not wine.
That makes a big difference to those who take that as a nod from Jesus
that you can catch a buzz if you feel like it.

There is a whole lot of creative interpretation of things written in
the Bible.
Then there are those who live by the Bible using it as guide, and then
there are those legalistic sunsabitches who use it as weapon.

I knew kids from my school who we NOT allowed to go swimming on
Sunday.

Yup, they were not allowed to float in God's warm water and glory,
bathe in the sunshine and find rest in that non-activity.

To paraphrase Carlin: "there are still people doing time for that
Friday/bologna rap."

I digress and don't get me started....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Feb 24, 10:42*am, "Leon" wrote:

The English version of the
Bible is an interpreted version of the originals. *When translated
phrases/words were not always done so to capture the intent of the
message.

At the wedding in Canaan (Luke 3) water was changed into grape juice,
according to the Greek text.
Not wine.
That makes a big difference to those who take that as a nod from Jesus
that you can catch a buzz if you feel like it.

Not sure where you got that information, but coming from a denomination
that diligently researches and uses the original languages (all of our
ministers must be able to read the scriptures from the original Greek,
Hebrew, or Aramaic in the proper historical meanings those words had at the
time they were written), I can tell you that is the first I have ever heard
of that interpretation. It further does not fit with the rest of the
context of the account where the master of the wedding makes the comment
about how the best wine was usually served first, then after the guests had
drunk too much, the lower quality wine brought out. Try
substituting "grape juice" in that sentence and you don't get the same
effect. Also doesn't work for the account of "new wine in new wineskins,
and old wine in old wineskins" comment that occurs elsewhere in the
gospels. Further, it doesn't work in the historical context; there was no
way at that time for grape juice to have been kept unfermented for any
period of time.

On the flip side, this was not an approval of drunkenness as the
admonitions against that are found throughout scripture.

There is a whole lot of creative interpretation of things written in
the Bible.

That there is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 3:40*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:42*am, "Leon" wrote:

[...]

The 'word' is oinos and can mean wine or grape juice. Fact.

The context, however, makes it clear that it probably was, in fact,
wine.... the fermented stuff that made the guests, after having drunk
freely, intoxicated.

My point was that some people wag their fingers and proclaim, NO NO NO
that wasn't booze, it was grape juice. Therefore NO amount of alcohol
is allowed.
And others use it as an excuse to get intoxicated, because it is
acceptable.

I wonder how peyote, pot, opium (all natural) rank on the 'cannot-do'
scale.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:42 am, "Leon" wrote:

The English version of the
Bible is an interpreted version of the originals. When translated
phrases/words were not always done so to capture the intent of the message..

At the wedding in Canaan (Luke 3) water was changed into grape juice,
according to the Greek text.
Not wine.
That makes a big difference to those who take that as a nod from Jesus
that you can catch a buzz if you feel like it.

snip

The wedding at Cana where Jesus changed water into wine is John 2:1
through 2:9. The Strong's Concordance list the original Greek word as:

G3631
οἶνος
oinos
oy'-nos
A primary word (or perhaps of Hebrew origin [H3196]); wine (literally
or figuratively):wine.

The Hebrew [H3196] cross references to:

H3196יַיִ
yayin
yah'-yin
From an unused root meaning to effervesce; wine (as fermented); by
implication intoxication:banqueting, wine, wine [-bibber].

It often debated but the with the custom of the time it is doubtful
unfermented grape juice was served at the wedding.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

I wonder how peyote, pot, opium (all natural) rank on the 'cannot-do'
scale.

Far out and solid!

--
Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Feb 24, 3:40*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:42*am, "Leon" wrote:

.... snip
[...]

"fruit of the vine"

The context, however, makes it clear that it probably was, in fact,
wine.... the fermented stuff that made the guests, after having drunk
freely, intoxicated.

My point was that some people wag their fingers and proclaim, NO NO NO
that wasn't booze, it was grape juice. Therefore NO amount of alcohol
is allowed.

Kind of hard to make that argument based upon other passages, both Old and
New Testament.

And others use it as an excuse to get intoxicated, because it is
acceptable.

Again, same thing, there are numerous admonitions, both Old and New
Testament against drunkenness.

I wonder how peyote, pot, opium (all natural) rank on the 'cannot-do'
scale.

They would easily fit into the admonition regarding drunkenness, has
nothing to do with the "naturalness" of the substance but the use to which
it is put. After all, hemlock is natural as well, it's still not good for
one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Kenneth" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:42:54 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

You see, God
is not easily fooled and knows whether you are being honest or not.

Hi Leon,

Assuming that you are correct, why would it be important
that such oaths are spoken?

It is a reminder that your God is aware of what you are saying. You need
to be honest and truthful with your answers.

Does this mean atheists can lie in court? No, there are laws against
that. So why bother with the pretense of "God" being "aware" of what
you are saying.

Its funny that we can giggle at kids when they have to behave because
"Santa is watching" then we mimic that same behavior in our Courts.

:Flame suit on::

Andy
--
:: Clever Sig here ::
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 02:07:14 +0000, Leon wrote:

The oath is just the person giving his word to tell the truth and makes his
testimony "1" step closer to being believed by a jury that has faith in God.

I want a jury of my peers! All agnostics!

Too many religious people think it's their right to force their moral code
on others.

Larry, you are my new favorite poster!
Congratulations.

Andy

--
:: Clever Sig here ::
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 28, 11:17*am, Andy H wrote:
.. .
wrote:

You see, God
is not easily fooled and knows whether you are being honest or not.
Hi Leon,

Assuming that you are correct, why would it be important
that such oaths are spoken?

It is a reminder that *your God is aware of what you are saying. *You need
to be honest and truthful with your answers.

Does this mean atheists can lie in court? No, there are laws against
that. *So why bother with the pretense of "God" being "aware" of what
you are saying.

Its funny that we can giggle at kids when they have to behave because
"Santa is watching" then we mimic that same behavior in our Courts.

:Flame suit on::

It's okay. It has all been said.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 21, 11:20 am, Chuck Taylor wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 06:37:50 -0800 (PST), "D'ohBoy"

wrote:
On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take over
the world.

Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?

Can you 'splain to me exactly when Islam became a race?

--
Chuck Taylorhttp://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/

My apologies for my outrage at the gross bigotry present in Leon's
statement overwhelming my semantic gifts. But that doesn't change the
problems with his statement.

The basic thrust of my comment remains valid. Who is the us who owns
'our laws?' White male Protestant US citizens? Are Muslims not
Americans? Aren't all Americans subject to and the owners of American
law?

D'ohBoy

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over the world.

Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?

Can you 'splain to me exactly when Islam became a race?

--
Chuck Taylorhttp://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/

My apologies for my outrage at the gross bigotry present in Leon's
statement overwhelming my semantic gifts. But that doesn't change the
problems with his statement.

My apologies in advance for making you out to be a complete and total
idiot.

Since when is it gross bigotry to point out salient facts? The fact of
the matter is that radical islamic groups like CAIR are using US laws
against the citizens of this country to establish a foothold in US society
in which they can establish their own Sharia type laws. The writings of
their various leaders has firmly established their goals and ultimate
objective. Various writings frankly sneer at our ideas of freedom of
speech and other freedoms.

The basic thrust of my comment remains valid. Who is the us who owns
'our laws?' White male Protestant US citizens? Are Muslims not
Americans? Aren't all Americans subject to and the owners of American
law?

If you mean by "our" laws, the laws and customs of the US, then one would
assume that we all own them. Muslims can and are US citizens, they are not
free to establish their own sets of laws within this country. It used to
be that when people came to this country from other countries, they were
expected to assimilate into the culture of this country, not expect this
country to adapt to the culture of the country from which they originated.
The fact is that they are using the freedoms we have available to us in
order to establish a foothold with the intent of removing those freedoms at
a later date.

D'ohBoy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 29, 12:23*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:

* If you mean by "our" laws, the laws and customs of the US, then one would
assume that we all own them. *Muslims can and are US citizens, they are not
free to establish their own sets of laws within this country. *It used to
be that when people came to this country from other countries, they were
expected to assimilate into the culture of this country, not expect this
country to adapt to the culture of the country from which they originated.
The fact is that they are using the freedoms we have available to us in
order to establish a foothold with the intent of removing those freedoms at
a later date. *

Ask anybody who lives in the UK, France, The Netherlands and other
parts of the EU where the infiltration has already begun, they will
tell you that it is NOT a good idea.
Freedom of what you believe should be a right, to use it as a back-
door for political change is not. I think it is time we start
collecting foreskins again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I think it is time we start
collecting foreskins again.

Muslim men are circumcised because Abraham had both Isaac and Ishmael
circumcised.

Your reference is to David and the Philistines?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 29, 3:15*pm, "George" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

*I think it is time we start
collecting foreskins again.

Muslim men are circumcised because Abraham had both Isaac and Ishmael
circumcised.

The more you know..... ( I didn't know)

Your reference is to David and the Philistines?

It was.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 29, 1:57 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Ask anybody who lives in the UK, France, The Netherlands and other
parts of the EU where the infiltration has already begun, they will
tell you that it is NOT a good idea.
Freedom of what you believe should be a right, to use it as a back-
door for political change is not.

Freedom of belief coupled with free speech is
the FRONT door of political change.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 29, 3:46*pm, Fred the Red Shirt
wrote:
On Feb 29, 1:57 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Ask anybody who lives in the UK, France, The Netherlands and other
parts of the EU where the infiltration has already begun, they will
tell you that it is NOT a good idea.
Freedom of what you believe should be a right, to use it as a back-
door for political change is not.

Freedom of belief coupled with free speech is
the FRONT door of political change.

--

FF

Don't forget to buy your lady a burka then.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
On Feb 29, 1:57 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Ask anybody who lives in the UK, France, The Netherlands and other
parts of the EU where the infiltration has already begun, they will
tell you that it is NOT a good idea.
Freedom of what you believe should be a right, to use it as a back-
door for political change is not.

Freedom of belief coupled with free speech is
the FRONT door of political change.

http://www.dotsub.com/films/moredemands/index.php?autostart=true&language_setting=en_1618
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 29, 6:42 pm, Doug Winterburn wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

On Feb 29, 1:57 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Ask anybody who lives in the UK, France, The Netherlands and other
parts of the EU where the infiltration has already begun, they will
tell you that it is NOT a good idea.
Freedom of what you believe should be a right, to use it as a back-
door for political change is not.

Freedom of belief coupled with free speech is
the FRONT door of political change.

http://www.dotsub.com/films/moredemands/index.php?autostart=true&lang...

He doesn't much like Bush's Buddies does he? Sensible man.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

On Feb 29, 1:57 pm, Robatoy wrote:
Ask anybody who lives in the UK, France, The Netherlands and other
parts of the EU where the infiltration has already begun, they will
tell you that it is NOT a good idea.
Freedom of what you believe should be a right, to use it as a back-
door for political change is not.
Freedom of belief coupled with free speech is
the FRONT door of political change.

http://www.dotsub.com/films/moredemands/index.php?autostart=true&lang...

He doesn't much like Bush's Buddies does he? Sensible man.

The Clintons don't seem to mind them:

http://www.nysun.com/article/5137

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 29, 11:42 pm, Doug Winterburn wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

On Feb 29, 1:57 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Ask anybody who lives in the UK, France, The Netherlands and other
parts of the EU where the infiltration has already begun, they will
tell you that it is NOT a good idea.
Freedom of what you believe should be a right, to use it as a back-
door for political change is not.

Freedom of belief coupled with free speech is
the FRONT door of political change.

http://www.dotsub.com/films/moredemands/index.php?autostart=true&lang...

I love that guy.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

On Feb 29, 1:57 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Freedom of belief coupled with free speech is
the FRONT door of political change.
http://www.dotsub.com/films/moredemands/index.php?autostart=true...

He doesn't much like Bush's Buddies does he? Sensible man.

He clearly knows how to use that front door.

The Clintons don't seem to mind them:

http://www.nysun.com/article/5137

Every American Administration since WWII has been good buddies
with the Saudis.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

On Feb 29, 1:57 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Freedom of belief coupled with free speech is
the FRONT door of political change.
http://www.dotsub.com/films/moredemands/index.php?autostart=true...

He doesn't much like Bush's Buddies does he? Sensible man.

He clearly knows how to use that front door.

The Clintons don't seem to mind them:

http://www.nysun.com/article/5137

Every American Administration since WWII has been good buddies
with the Saudis.

--

Something of a "have to be" to keep oil flowing. The Bush family,
though, seems to consider the Saudi monarchy (if that's what it is)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Something of a "have to be" to keep oil flowing. The Bush family,
though, seems to consider the Saudi monarchy (if that's what it is)
family friends.

Amazing how the opinion flows, but the facts are unknown. Not that they
should interfere, of course....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 8:41 am, "George" wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Something of a "have to be" to keep oil flowing. The Bush family,
though, seems to consider the Saudi monarchy (if that's what it is)
family friends.

Amazing how the opinion flows, but the facts are unknown. Not that they
should interfere, of course....

http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...06/b99415.html
http://www.hermes-press.com/BushSaud.htm
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...shgifts05.html
http://www.villagevoice.com/news/041...5,52956,6.html

http://www.restoretherepublic.com/co...5/func,fb_pdf/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"D'ohBoy" wrote in message

My apologies for my outrage at the gross bigotry present in Leon's
statement overwhelming my semantic gifts. But that doesn't change the
problems with his statement.

The basic thrust of my comment remains valid. Who is the us who owns
'our laws?' White male Protestant US citizens? Are Muslims not
Americans? Aren't all Americans subject to and the owners of American
law?

D'ohBoy

You had a problem with defining "race". You obviously don't/won't
understand the meaning of my statement.