DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   WE are losing it. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/234487-we-losing.html)

Robatoy[_2_] February 20th 08 09:17 PM

WE are losing it.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. apologized to a Muslim woman who said she was
mocked because of her face veil.

"Please don't stick me up," a cashier told the shopper on Feb. 2,
according to The Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Wal-Mart apologized Monday in a letter signed by Rolando Rodriquez, a
vice president and regional general manager. It was released Tuesday
by the council's Nevada chapter.

"I can assure you that the associate in question was disciplined in
accordance with our employment policies as a result of the situation,"
Rodriguez said without disclosing details.

Rodriguez said employees at the Riverdale store would undergo
"sensitivity training," specifically in the Islamic faith and Muslim
culture.

At Wal-Mart headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., spokesman Phillip Keene
confirmed the letter and declined further comment.

"We applaud Wal-Mart for taking appropriate action to resolve this
incident," said Yasser Moten, executive director of the council's
Nevada chapter. The group doesn't have an office in Utah.

Cooniedog February 20th 08 10:41 PM

WE are losing it.

Three strangers strike up a conversation in the airport passenger lounge
while awaiting their flights in Bozeman, Montana, .

One is an American Indian passing through from Lame Deer. Another is a
Cowboy on his way to Billings for a livestock show and the third
passenger is a fundamentalist Arab student, newly arrived at Montana
State University from the Middle East .

Their discussion drifts to their diverse cultures. Soon, the two
Westerners learn that the Arab is a devout, radical Muslim and the
conversation falls into an uneasy lull.

The cowboy leans back in his chair, crosses his boots on a magazine
table and tips his big sweat-stained hat forward over his face. The wind
outside is blowing tumbleweeds around, and the old windsock is flapping;
but still no plane comes.

Finally, the American Indian clears his throat and softly he speaks, "
At one time here, my people were many, but sadly, now we are few."

The Muslim student raises an eyebrow and leans forward, "Once my People
were few," he sneers, "and now we are many. Why do you suppose that is?"

The Montana cowboy shifts his toothpick to one side of his mouth and
from the darkness beneath his Stetson says in a drawl, "That's 'cause we
ain't played Cowboys and Muslims yet, but I do believe it's a-comin'."

[email protected] February 20th 08 10:56 PM

WE are losing it.

On Feb 20, 2:12*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take over
the world.

Hmm, I can't find any reference that this incident actually occurred.
Is there
a newspaper article or other reference?

Also, could this person be an actual US citizen? I don't recall a
religious test
to become a citizen. I would expect all of our laws to be equally
applied to
all of citizens and guests. Isn't that what I spent 4 yrs in Army for?

I love this wacky world called the Internet. You can say almost
anything and
then have achieve some level of truth and often without actually
having to
prove it.

MJ

Leon February 20th 08 11:28 PM

WE are losing it.

wrote in message
On Feb 20, 2:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.

Hmm, I can't find any reference that this incident actually occurred.
Is there
a newspaper article or other reference?

Also, could this person be an actual US citizen? I don't recall a
religious test
to become a citizen. I would expect all of our laws to be equally
applied to
all of citizens and guests. Isn't that what I spent 4 yrs in Army for?

I love this wacky world called the Internet. You can say almost
anything and
then have achieve some level of truth and often without actually
having to
prove it.

MJ

If you live anywhere near a big city and watch the news, it is almost daily
that a Muslim wants special handling for his or her dress. Why can't I
wear a mask and shield my face when in a bank?

Jeff February 20th 08 11:32 PM

WE are losing it.

On Feb 20, 5:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take over
the world.

The Muslims are using our laws to slowly take over the world? How does
that work?

Leon February 20th 08 11:36 PM

WE are losing it.

"Jeff" wrote in message
On Feb 20, 5:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.

The Muslims are using our laws to slowly take over the world? How does
that work?

Apparently very well, haven't you noticed?

[email protected] February 21st 08 12:00 AM

WE are losing it.

On Feb 20, 3:13*pm, "Garage_Woodworks" .@. wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 20, 2:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:

Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.
Hmm, I can't find any reference that this incident actually occurred.
Is there a newspaper article or other reference?

Did you even try to find a reference?? * :(

Google go me this:

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=104&sid=1348193

Thanks!

I looked in Snopes.com first, thinking a post on the Internet with
this
kind of info, tends, on many occasions to be made up by someone.
But there's an AP post on your reference. I just was curious.

Again, thanks for letting us all know.

MJ

Just Curious February 21st 08 01:09 AM

WE are losing it.

Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Some minimum wage luddite who probably has already risen to his/her
level of incompetence makes a tasteless but otherwise fairly innocuous
one-liner joke, and next thing we know the Council on American-Islamic
Relations and the vice president of one of the biggest companies in the
world are involved? Yeah, the cashier should have kept his/her piehole
shut. But, how did the big muckety-micks even learn of it unless the
shopper totally blew it all out of proportion? Who's the most
insensitive, the cashier, or the butt of the joke?

Jeff February 21st 08 03:42 AM

WE are losing it.

On Feb 20, 6:36 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

On Feb 20, 5:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.

The Muslims are using our laws to slowly take over the world? How does
that work?

Apparently very well, haven't you noticed?

If they're taking it over they're saving my neighborhood for last. I
see maybe ten muslims a month. They have an odd sense of fashion but
so do NASCAR fans and Amishmen.

Leon February 21st 08 04:08 AM

WE are losing it.

"Jeff" wrote in message
On Feb 20, 6:36 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

On Feb 20, 5:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.

The Muslims are using our laws to slowly take over the world? How does
that work?

Apparently very well, haven't you noticed?

If they're taking it over they're saving my neighborhood for last. I
see maybe ten muslims a month. They have an odd sense of fashion but
so do NASCAR fans and Amishmen.

Come to Houston, I probably have 100 in my neighborhood of 250 homes.

Lew Hodgett February 21st 08 05:43 AM

WE are losing it.

"Leon" wrote:

Come to Houston, I probably have 100 in my neighborhood of 250

homes.

Must be NASCAR fans, not many Amishmen in Houston.

But only 100 out of 250, seems a little lowG.

Lew.

Puff Griffis February 21st 08 06:21 AM

WE are losing it.

My common since says to shut my mouth but oh
well here it goes. First people in this country
blamed the Indians for their problems. Then the
Germans then the Irish then the Italians then the
Jewish then the Blacks then the Asians then the
Mexicans, well some still blame the Blacks and
Mexicans, now it's the Muslims. When will fools
quit blaming races or religions for moronic
behavior and start blaming the individuals. Now
here is an original thought lets stick with
woodworking in this woodworking news group and
take your juvenile prejudice to a news group
better suited to the purpose.
Puff

"Robatoy" wrote in
message

Robatoy[_2_] February 21st 08 06:50 AM

WE are losing it.

On Feb 21, 1:21*am, "Puff Griffis" wrote:
* * My common since says to shut my mouth but oh
well here it goes.

Common sense is not common.

First people in this country
blamed the Indians for their problems. Then the
Germans then the Irish then the Italians then the
Jewish then the Blacks then the Asians then the
Mexicans, well some still blame the Blacks and
Mexicans, now it's the Muslims. When will fools
quit blaming races or religions for moronic
behavior and start blaming the individuals.

If *I* were to wear a veil, and cover my face as I approached a
cashier, I sure as hell would get taken down. And if *I* can't wear a
veil, then neither should anybody else.
And if *I* have to wear a helmet on my bike, the fact that I have a
turbin on my head should not excuse me from wearing a helmet.
We all make choices. If people chose to live in North America they
should adapt.

My apologies for forgetting about the OT.
Now, was there a woodworking question in that little rant of yours?

Kenneth February 21st 08 12:07 PM

WE are losing it.

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 01:21:09 -0500, "Puff Griffis"
wrote:

My common since says to shut my mouth but oh
well here it goes. First people in this country
blamed the Indians for their problems. Then the
Germans then the Irish then the Italians then the
Jewish then the Blacks then the Asians then the
Mexicans, well some still blame the Blacks and
Mexicans, now it's the Muslims. When will fools
quit blaming races or religions for moronic
behavior and start blaming the individuals.

Howdy,

Usually, if a comment starts with something like "My common
since says to shut my mouth but oh well here it goes" what
happens next is not worth reading...

Yours is the exception, and you have my admiration for
offering it.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Leon February 21st 08 01:53 PM

WE are losing it.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote:

Come to Houston, I probably have 100 in my neighborhood of 250

homes.

Must be NASCAR fans, not many Amishmen in Houston.

But only 100 out of 250, seems a little lowG.

No Amish in Houston/ :~) Although I may be the closest to that
description. LOL

Yeah, I meant 100 homes out of 250 homes. ;~) Another 60 homes for the
Asians, 60 homes for the Mexicans and the rest of us probably have parents
that were born in the US.

Leon February 21st 08 02:18 PM

WE are losing it.

"Puff Griffis" wrote in message
My common since says to shut my mouth but oh well here it goes. First
people in this country blamed the Indians for their problems. Then the
Germans then the Irish then the Italians then the Jewish then the Blacks
then the Asians then the Mexicans, well some still blame the Blacks and
Mexicans, now it's the Muslims. When will fools quit blaming races or
religions for moronic behavior and start blaming the individuals. Now here
is an original thought lets stick with woodworking in this woodworking
news group and take your juvenile prejudice to a news group better suited
to the purpose.
Puff

I confess, when I was younger and lived in a city with only a sprinkle of
minorities except for Mexican Americans, I too wondered what all the fuss
was about. Then I moved to Houston 34 years ago and that is when my
perception changed. Remember I started out thinking, what's the problem.
I continue to judge an individual that I meet with a clean slate. I draw
the line when laws are broken and unfortunately some nationalities tend to
break the law more often than others. This casts a bad light on the group
as a whole when you seldom hear anything good about a particular race.
Houston is a very diverse group of races. Predominately, Mexican, Black,
White, Asian, and Middle Easterners.
With out a doubt the race that complains the least, tries the hardest to fit
in, and the one that you do not see as often on the news involved in a
crime, are the Asians. When they first started arriving in numbers there
was resentment towards them for a very brief period of time however they
have earned respect and IMHO are some of the best neighbors.
Most all the other minorities in Houston want to take back Texas,
reparations, or be exempt from our laws.
And then there are those, "all races", that want to remove "God in public
places and Government buildings, from all of our lives.

D'ohBoy February 21st 08 02:37 PM

Leon's Racism WAS: WE are losing it.

On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take over
the world.

Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?

D'ohBoy

Tom Bunetta[_3_] February 21st 08 03:13 PM

"D'ohBoy" wrote in message
On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.

Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?

D'ohBoy

He didn't come across that way to me.
Tom

Leon February 21st 08 03:30 PM

"D'ohBoy" wrote in message
On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.

Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?

Sure, but let me restate laws as being customs. Our laws are simply being
twisted and manipulated.

And keep in mind that when I say Muslims I did not and do not mean all
Muslims. But a group of Moslems played a large roll in the recons I list
below. I also realize that "all" races have their problems and are viewed
similarly in other countries. I judge individuals on an individual basis
but birds of a feather tend to flock together.

Can you simply get on board an airplane most anywhere in the US and the
rest of the world and not go through a line to be sniffed and scanned? Why
can't I wear a mask inside a bank? Why, in spite of dress codes, are some
people allowed to disregard the dress code and dress a certain way because
of their religion when GOD has supposedly been removed from most of our
public schools? Why are they exempt form having GOD removed from their
education?

Now there are "Special" hate crimes".
These have especially became up front and center since 911. Why does a
particular crime towards a particular race have a special upgrade in
punishment. Why is a crime against one race far worse in punishment than
when it is against another? Don't get me wrong, I think all crimes against
any one or race is a hate crime but apparently crimes against some people
are exempt from being classified a hate crime.

Why is there still a group called the KKK?

I don't believe in certain groups of people having special privileges and I
don't believe that all Muslims are evil or have hate in their hearts but
many do and right now because of what some Moslems have done, the rest of
the Moslems are cast in the same light. "Every" race has its skeletons
and every race has a reason for it's actions and beliefs.

Fred the Red Shirt February 21st 08 04:41 PM

On Feb 21, 10:30 am, "Leon" wrote:
"D'ohBoy" wrote in message

On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.

Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?

Sure, but let me restate laws as being customs. Our laws are simply being
twisted and manipulated.

My first ever photo ID was a passport. At the time, drivers'
licenses
did not have photos on them.

As they became more popular at least one state Missouri continued
to issue non-photo licenses to people who objected on religious
grounds. Those people by and large were Christian.

American law and custom is filled with exemptions for religious
belief. Regarding conscription, members of some religious sects
easily qualified for conscientious objector status while others
had to prove deep seated personal, moral belief against war.

Separation of church and state is a conundrum. If churches
are taxed, then church and state are not separate. If churches
are not taxed, the state is showing favoritism to religion.

There is no solution. We just have to muddle through as best we
can.

--

FF

Robatoy[_2_] February 21st 08 05:10 PM

On Feb 21, 10:13*am, "Tom Bunetta" wrote:
"D'ohBoy" wrote in message

On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.

Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?

D'ohBoy

He didn't come across that way to me.
Tom

Neither did Leon come across to me that way.

And if he sounded like a racist to someone, maybe that someone should
try to hear what is being said, not what that someone wants to hear.

Some people hear...but they don't listen.

Leon February 21st 08 05:12 PM

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
My first ever photo ID was a passport. At the time, drivers'
licenses
did not have photos on them.

As they became more popular at least one state Missouri continued
to issue non-photo licenses to people who objected on religious
grounds. Those people by and large were Christian.

American law and custom is filled with exemptions for religious
belief. Regarding conscription, members of some religious sects
easily qualified for conscientious objector status while others
had to prove deep seated personal, moral belief against war.

Separation of church and state is a conundrum. If churches
are taxed, then church and state are not separate. If churches
are not taxed, the state is showing favoritism to religion.

There is no solution. We just have to muddle through as best we
can.

If only we could let common sense play a more prominent role we would all be
better off. Unfortunately everything has to be adjusted so that no one is
offended. We are in a process that is certainly numbing out society. Most
of us are adult and should realize by now that the world is not a fair and
just place to live. A society advances by moving forward, not by dumbing
down the system so that the undeserving have equal opportunity. Respect is
earned, not a right.

Chuck Taylor February 21st 08 05:20 PM

Leon's Racism WAS: WE are losing it.

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 06:37:50 -0800 (PST), "D'ohBoy"
wrote:

On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take over
the world.

Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?

Can you 'splain to me exactly when Islam became a race?

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/

Robatoy[_2_] February 21st 08 05:22 PM

On Feb 21, 10:30*am, "Leon" wrote:
"D'ohBoy" wrote in message

On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.

Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?

Sure, [snip]

You don't owe anybody any explanation. It's not your fault some people
can't read.
Fukkum, I say.

Every ethnic group has its flavours. Good ethnic flavours and bad.
Gangsta Rap has done a wonderful job erasing the black stereo-type for
instance. /sarcasm
Do I get my panties in a knot when in a demographic analysis I am
referred to as a white male?

Look, when *I* go 20 clicks over the speed limit, I get a ticket for
speeding.
When insert ethnic group here goes 20 clicks over the speed limit,
*THEY* get a ticket because they are insert ethnic group here.

It's just another example of certain people 'working' the system for
all they can get for free. That makes them assholes...and they come in
all kinds of colours....

Tom Watson February 21st 08 05:31 PM

Leon's Racism WAS: WE are losing it.

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:20:39 -0600, Chuck Taylor
wrote:

Can you 'splain to me exactly when Islam became a race?

woot - there it is!

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Larry Blanchard February 21st 08 05:33 PM

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:30:41 +0000, Leon wrote:

I don't believe in certain groups of people having special privileges and I
don't believe that all Muslims are evil or have hate in their hearts but
many do and right now because of what some Moslems have done, the rest of
the Moslems are cast in the same light. "Every" race has its skeletons
and every race has a reason for it's actions and beliefs.

And I see few, if any, Muslims demonstrating in the streets against the
latest atrocity. I have seen them dancing in the streets to celebrate.
Is my assumption that the majority of them approve of the violence thus
racist, or is it based on the evidence?

Lew Hodgett February 21st 08 06:20 PM

"Robatoy" wrote:

You don't owe anybody any explanation.
snip

Still suffering the effects of male PMS are we?

Lew

Lew Hodgett February 21st 08 06:38 PM

WE are losing it.

"Leon" wrote:

Another 60 homes for the
Asians, 60 homes for the Mexicans and the rest of us probably have

parents
that were born in the US.

How about your grandparents?

Lew

Charlie Self February 21st 08 06:48 PM

WE are losing it.

On Feb 21, 1:38 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Leon" wrote:
Another 60 homes for the
Asians, 60 homes for the Mexicans and the rest of us probably have

parents
that were born in the US.

How about your grandparents?

Lew

How far back does the white side of my family get to count, with a
Selfe landing here, supposedly, in 1654. I would guess not too much
later, one of his female get got jumped by a Choctaw or some such, so
there's the "native" American side, too. Been around a bit. That's 17
generations since the Brits ran one of my ancestors out, so I'd guess
great, great, great, great...it ain't worth it!

One of the things that seriously disturbs me about Islam is the lack
of encouragement by the more moderate religious leaders of any kind of
learning outside their own schools. Some of those schools are pretty
good, but, for the most part, far too many seem to be devoted to
extremist Muslim theology. That worries me even more than screwball
fundamentalist Christians, who, at least most of the time, run into
limits imposed by those who are more moderate, something I have yet to
see happen in the modern Islamic world. I find it hard to imagine even
Jerry Falwell calling jihad on Larry Flynt, with five million bucks
for his death. If something like that were tried, say by the still
living Pat Robertson who is as close to a true nut as there is on the
public scene today, it wouldn't take long for him to be shouted into
oblivion.

Tom Bunetta[_3_] February 21st 08 08:34 PM

Leon's Racism WAS: WE are losing it.

snip
Tom

Neither did Leon come across to me that way.

And if he sounded like a racist to someone, maybe that someone should
try to hear what is being said, not what that someone wants to hear.

Some people hear...but they don't listen.

Tom Watson hit it on the head... read on down.

Fred the Red Shirt February 21st 08 09:56 PM

On Feb 21, 10:30 am, "Leon" wrote:
"D'ohBoy" wrote in message

On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.

Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?

Why is there still a group called the KKK?

Why does someone refer to a comment about religion as 'racist'?

Calling all (putative) bigotry 'racism' is like calling all crime
'robbery'.

--

FF

Just Curious February 21st 08 10:10 PM

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:30:41 +0000, Leon wrote:

I don't believe in certain groups of people having special privileges and I
don't believe that all Muslims are evil or have hate in their hearts but
many do and right now because of what some Moslems have done, the rest of
the Moslems are cast in the same light. "Every" race has its skeletons
and every race has a reason for it's actions and beliefs.

And I see few, if any, Muslims demonstrating in the streets against the
latest atrocity. I have seen them dancing in the streets to celebrate.
Is my assumption that the majority of them approve of the violence thus
racist, or is it based on the evidence?

It's bigotry based on religion, not on race.

Leon February 21st 08 10:10 PM

WE are losing it.

"Leon" wrote:

Another 60 homes for the
Asians, 60 homes for the Mexicans and the rest of us probably have

parents
that were born in the US.

How about your grandparents?

Lew

My grandparents? Both grandparents on both sides were born in the USA. My
great grand father on my mothers side came to the US from Germany when he
was 14.

Tanus February 21st 08 11:55 PM

"D'ohBoy" wrote in message

On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.
Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?
D'ohBoy

He didn't come across that way to me.
Tom

Neither did Leon come across to me that way.

Nor to me.

I don't think I agree with Leon on this
one, but he hasn't shown any racist
tendencies that I can see.

--

Tanus

www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/

George February 22nd 08 12:19 AM

On Feb 21, 10:30 am, "Leon" wrote:
"D'ohBoy" wrote in message

On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over
the world.

Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?

Why is there still a group called the KKK?

Why does someone refer to a comment about religion as 'racist'?

Calling all (putative) bigotry 'racism' is like calling all crime
'robbery'.

It's a buzz-word. If you're a person of minimum intellect, inappropriate
is not a problem. Hell, I remember about tumbling over when the NPR "Morning
Edition" folks referred to the "right-wing" Communists back in the Yeltsin
days.

Of course, to them, only the right was bad....

Lew Hodgett February 22nd 08 01:01 AM

WE are losing it.

"Leon" wrote:

My grandparents? Both grandparents on both sides were born in the

USA. My
great grand father on my mothers side came to the US from Germany

when he
was 14.

Sounds like you are a youngsterG.

My grandfather, born in 1848, emigrated from Germany as a young man,
on a dare from his sister, who was already here.

Rest of the grandparents were from the same period.

My mother at 103, is the last surviving member of the 1st generation
born in the USA

Lew

Mark & Juanita February 22nd 08 02:29 AM

D'ohBoy wrote:

On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Sickening how the Muslims are slowly using our laws against us to take
over the world.

Can you 'splain that to me so you don't sound like a racist idiot?

D'ohBoy

How about starting out by explaining the fact that islam is NOT a race.

Next?