Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table saw motor clicking loudly under load

Hi. It's me again. I'm still fussing with my table saw after replacing
the belt. The pulley stays in place now, I think thanks to a good cleaning.
But no matter where I position it on the shaft, I hear a loud clicking when
the motor is running. I think (but I can't be 100% sure) that the sound is
coming from the motor and not the saw arbor. If I run the motor without the
belt it runs smoothly.

This is a 2hp motor and a Rexon RW10 table saw. I bought it in 1993.
Do you think one of the motor bearings needs replacing? What's normal for
wear and tear? Sure it's been 14 years, but it probably only sees a few
hours of duty per month. I hope I don't have to shell out $300 for a new
motor!

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message
Hi. It's me again. I'm still fussing with my table saw after
replacing the belt. The pulley stays in place now, I think thanks to a
good cleaning. But no matter where I position it on the shaft, I hear a
loud clicking when the motor is running. I think (but I can't be 100%
sure) that the sound is coming from the motor and not the saw arbor. If I
run the motor without the belt it runs smoothly.

This is a 2hp motor and a Rexon RW10 table saw. I bought it in 1993.
Do you think one of the motor bearings needs replacing? What's normal for
wear and tear? Sure it's been 14 years, but it probably only sees a few
hours of duty per month. I hope I don't have to shell out $300 for a new
motor!

- Owen -

Sounds like you are still having trouble with that pulley Owen. I have had
that problem with a jointer pulley. You have to make sure the sets screw is
TDC on the key.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

TDC? Top Dead Centre?

So you think the pulley is rocking/wobbling? I really cranked the set screw
and the pulley isn't wandering. I'll be very happy to try a new
pulley/key/set screw before taking more drastic measures if you really think
it'll help.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message

TDC? Top Dead Centre?

Yes

So you think the pulley is rocking/wobbling? I really cranked the set
screw and the pulley isn't wandering. I'll be very happy to try a new
pulley/key/set screw before taking more drastic measures if you really
think it'll help.

In the beginning I thought it was my motor also. When I tightened the set
screw the problem would disappear for a little while. I found that if the
set screw does not push down on the key and or flat grind on the shaft at a
90 degree angle, TDC, it can loosen again.

Mine made a distinct metallic clicking/ticking sound with every revolution.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message

TDC? Top Dead Centre?

Yes

So you think the pulley is rocking/wobbling? I really cranked the set
screw and the pulley isn't wandering. I'll be very happy to try a new
pulley/key/set screw before taking more drastic measures if you really
think it'll help.

In the beginning I thought it was my motor also. When I tightened the set
screw the problem would disappear for a little while. I found that if the
set screw does not push down on the key and or flat grind on the shaft at
a 90 degree angle, TDC, it can loosen again.

Mine made a distinct metallic clicking/ticking sound with every
revolution.

One other trick that I forgot to mention. The object is to have the set
screw press squarely on the key. If the screw is not flat on the end, if
the end is at a slight angle, you can lightly file the end so that it
contacts the key squarely. The set screw can have a conical end but the
entire end should make contact with the key. Or buy a new set screw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

[...]

If I can get to the store on Monday I'm going to buy a new pulley (etc.).
You've given me some confidence that it will fix the problem. Thanks, Leon!

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

If I can get to the store on Monday I'm going to buy a new pulley (etc.).
You've given me some confidence that it will fix the problem. �Thanks, Leon!

� - Owen -- Hide quoted text -

Owen

Stay away from cheap pulleys. If possible get a steel or cast iron
one.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds like you are still having trouble with that pulley Owen. *I have had
that problem with a jointer pulley. *You have to make sure the sets screw is
TDC on the key.

I agree. Does the pulley fit really snug on the shaft? If not, the
set screw on the key gets it tight at the top and bottom, but you
still have slack on the sides, the tension of the belt will cause the
pulley to wobble as it turns, causing it to click against the shaft
with each revolution.

DonkeyHody
"I'd rather expect the best from people and be wrong than expect the
worst and be right."

Posted to rec.woodworking

If I can get to the store on Monday I'm going to buy a new pulley (etc.).
You've given me some confidence that it will fix the problem. Thanks, Leon!

- Owen -

replace the key also. the pulley should come with a new setscrew.

get a good machine quality pulley. ace hardware and home depot are
unlikely to have them- go to a bearing and belt supply type of place.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

wrote in message

If I can get to the store on Monday I'm going to buy a new pulley (etc.).
You've given me some confidence that it will fix the problem. Thanks,
Leon!

- Owen -

replace the key also. the pulley should come with a new setscrew.

get a good machine quality pulley. ace hardware and home depot are
unlikely to have them- go to a bearing and belt supply type of place.

I got the new pulley and key this morning from the saw vendor (Busy Bee
Tools). I forgot to check for a set screw, and didn't find out it was
missing until I got home. Oh well. I installed the new pulley with the old
set screw, realigned everything, put on my new link belt and powered it up.

No problem! I made a few cuts and already it's smoother than it ever was.
It's a bit premature to declare complete success, but let's just say I
dabbed a bit of loctite on the metal interfaces, replaced the belt guard,
and torqued down all the bolts.

Thanks, guys! You're the best!

- Owen -