Buzz Burrowes

Default table saw motor problem

I've got a Jet cabinet saw (JTAS 10 I think). Single phase, not sure of
the hp. I've had it for a couple of years now. Doesn't get a lot of use.

I am running a Forrest WoodWorker II thin kerf on it (recently purchased.)

For about the last 6 months (gets used about 2 or 3 times a month), I've
had a problem with the motor's thermal breaker tripping. Even ripping
pretty soft wood the thing trips VERY often. I have to let it sit for 10
minutes or so before I can reset it (a little button on the motor).

I *know* it wasn't always this bad. When I first got the thing I ripped
a *bunch* of 6/4 maple and it cut nice. Was also using a Forrest WWII at
the time.

Back to the tripped breaker. When I feel the motor after a trip it
doesn't even feel warm to me. Even still... have to let the thing sit
for a few minutes before I can reset.

Anyone have any ideas?

Is my motor shot?

Is my thermal breaker shot?

Can I just pull the motor out (as if that will be easy) and bring it to
some local motor shop for repair?

Hmmmmm. I'd really like to get this working again. The thing tripped on
me tonight halfway through ripping an 8' redwood 2X4 :-( This can't be
right.

Best,
Buzz

Gerald Ross

Buzz Burrowes wrote:
[...]

Mine did this a couple of times in the past. Never did it after changing
to 220 volts. Check to make sure the belt is not binding on the belt
cover. I would have the motor checked for current draw. OTOH I once had
a breaker that went bad and tripped too easily (not on the table saw,
though.)

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

If you wish work poorly done, pay in
advance.

Doug Miller

In article , Buzz Burrowes wrote:

Back to the tripped breaker. When I feel the motor after a trip it
doesn't even feel warm to me. Even still... have to let the thing sit
for a few minutes before I can reset.

Anyone have any ideas?

Is my motor shot?

I doubt it.

Is my thermal breaker shot?

That'd be my first guess, considering that the motor "doesn't even feel warm".

Can I just pull the motor out (as if that will be easy) and bring it to
some local motor shop for repair?

I should think so. But if it were me, I'd call JET first and ask them what
they think is wrong. I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a new thermal
breaker.

--
Regards,

Leon

"Buzz Burrowes" wrote in message
I've got a Jet cabinet saw (JTAS 10 I think). Single phase, not sure of
the hp. I've had it for a couple of years now. Doesn't get a lot of use.

If that is the correct ID on the saw, you are having to use 220 volts to run
it and it is a full blown cabinet saw that weighs about 500#'s with a 3 or 5
hp motor. Sound right?

I am running a Forrest WoodWorker II thin kerf on it (recently purchased.)

For about the last 6 months (gets used about 2 or 3 times a month), I've
had a problem with the motor's thermal breaker tripping. Even ripping
pretty soft wood the thing trips VERY often. I have to let it sit for 10
minutes or so before I can reset it (a little button on the motor).

I do have a JTAS 10L and am not aware of a thermal breaker on the motor. I
think maybe you have a different saw and especially think that if it runs on
110 volts.

I *know* it wasn't always this bad. When I first got the thing I ripped a
*bunch* of 6/4 maple and it cut nice. Was also using a Forrest WWII at the
time.

Back to the tripped breaker. When I feel the motor after a trip it doesn't
even feel warm to me. Even still... have to let the thing sit for a few
minutes before I can reset.

Are you using an extension cord? If so try not using an extension cord or
one with a higher gauge wire.

Anyone have any ideas?

Is the blade clean?

Rob Mills

"Buzz Burrowes" wrote in message

I've had a problem with the motor's thermal breaker tripping.

Make sure the receptacle that you are plugging into has not become loose or
sloppy fitting. A loose or poor connection could cause the breaker to trip.
RM ~

Jim

"Buzz Burrowes" wrote in message
I've got a Jet cabinet saw (JTAS 10 I think). Single phase, not sure of
the hp. I've had it for a couple of years now. Doesn't get a lot of use.

How about reading the label on the motor to know for certain?

I am running a Forrest WoodWorker II thin kerf on it (recently purchased.)

For about the last 6 months (gets used about 2 or 3 times a month), I've
had a problem with the motor's thermal breaker tripping. Even ripping
pretty soft wood the thing trips VERY often. I have to let it sit for 10
minutes or so before I can reset it (a little button on the motor).

I *know* it wasn't always this bad. When I first got the thing I ripped
a *bunch* of 6/4 maple and it cut nice. Was also using a Forrest WWII at
the time.

Back to the tripped breaker. When I feel the motor after a trip it
doesn't even feel warm to me. Even still... have to let the thing sit
for a few minutes before I can reset.

Anyone have any ideas?

Every time these thermal devices break the circuit, they lose some strength.
Eventually, they cut the circuit way too soon.

Is my motor shot?

Probably not.

Is my thermal breaker shot?

Probably.

Can I just pull the motor out (as if that will be easy) and bring it to
some local motor shop for repair?

Certainly. Isn't it attached by the belt, four bolts, and the power cord?
You can buy a new thermal switch, but isn't it inside the motor? If so, you
must remove the motor to be anyway.
Jim

Jim

[...]

Doesn't this saw require 220? According to Jet, the JTAS-10 is a cabinet
saw with a 3hp motor. That is more power than a 120 line can handle. It
should never ever trip the thermal overload.
Jim

Buzz Burrowes

In answer to some of the questions...

I've got the model number wrong. It is definitely a 110 motor.

I have tried different extension cords and outlet. I now have a truly
monstrous cord running from the saw to the outlet, and tried any
different outlets.

Blade is VERY clean... new in fact. When the thing doesn't shut down,
that Forrest makes one nice smooth cut :-)

As for the "pull the motor question"... clearly I can see that it won't
be TOO hard to pull the motor (although it looks like it will be a real
pain to put back in... holding up the motor and getting the bolts
started in that small space.)

I guess I was asking if I'd have to send the motor back to Jet, or could
have someone else local tear the thing down, or... if tear down and
diagnostic might cost so much that I may as well find a new motor.
(Anyone know what a 110v motor that would work in this saw might cost?)

I'll try calling Jet. Anyone have any experience with their custom
support? I envision sitting on hold for an hour and then someone telling
me, "Sorry, can't help you over the phone... you'll have to send the
motor in."

I'd love to go 220. I know the motor has a tag that explains how to
change a few wires to get it to run off of 220. I have a bunch of
remodeling going on around the house, and I think I will have the
electrician take a look at the garage before he finishes up.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Buzz

Stephen M

As for the "pull the motor question"... clearly I can see that it won't
be TOO hard to pull the motor (although it looks like it will be a real
pain to put back in... holding up the motor and getting the bolts
started in that small space.)

BTDT on my JTAS (this one really is the 3HP CS). Your expectation is
accurate.
Your (presumably) 1.5 HP motor has got to be lighter and therefore at least
a bit easier.

I guess I was asking if I'd have to send the motor back to Jet, or could
have someone else local tear the thing down, or... if tear down and
diagnostic might cost so much that I may as well find a new motor.
(Anyone know what a 110v motor that would work in this saw might cost?)

I replaced the motor on a craftsman contractor saw about 4 years ago. I got
a 1.5 HP Grizzly priduct for $99. You would probably pay twice that for a
us-made name brand product. That should give you a price range.

I'll try calling Jet. Anyone have any experience with their custom
support?

I had new product support calls for myth my cabinet saw and my lathe. In one
case there appeared to me a missing part (mostly my fault, it was really
well hidden). In the other case there was some monor shipping damage (likely
the carrier's fault).

In both cases Jet only wanted serial numbers and a part number and they
fixed me right up. That doesn't really address tech support, but the service
was excellent.

I envision sitting on hold for an hour and then someone telling
me, "Sorry, can't help you over the phone... you'll have to send the
motor in."

IIRC, I did have a little wait time on the lathe, maybe 10 or 12 minutes,
but the fellow that I spoke to was clearly familiar with the 1442. I
described the parts he understood immediately.

Give them a call, before you pull the motor.

-Steve

Doug Miller

In article , Buzz Burrowes wrote:

I'll try calling Jet. Anyone have any experience with their custom
support? I envision sitting on hold for an hour and then someone telling
me, "Sorry, can't help you over the phone... you'll have to send the
motor in."

I've called them at least three times that I can recall. Each time, I waited
on hold less than fifteen minutes - less than five, in one case - and got the
information I needed without a problem.

--
Regards,

Upscale

"Buzz Burrowes" wrote in message

I'll try calling Jet. Anyone have any experience with their custom
support? I envision sitting on hold for an hour and then someone telling
me, "Sorry, can't help you over the phone... you'll have to send the
motor in."

Got a speaker phone at your house? Watch TV, do the dishes, seduce the wife,
then pick up the phone when someone answers. On second thought, if you're
busy with the wife, suggest that if you value your continued existence, you
hang up the phone and continue doing what you were doing.

Buzz Burrowes

Well, spoke with Jet today. They were very helpful. Sold me a
replacement overload breaker for the motor (~$11).

I'll drop it on and see if it helps.

Buzz