Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Table saw motor clicking loudly under load

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message

TDC? Top Dead Centre?

Yes

So you think the pulley is rocking/wobbling? I really cranked the set
screw and the pulley isn't wandering. I'll be very happy to try a new
pulley/key/set screw before taking more drastic measures if you really
think it'll help.

In the beginning I thought it was my motor also. When I tightened the set
screw the problem would disappear for a little while. I found that if the
set screw does not push down on the key and or flat grind on the shaft at
a 90 degree angle, TDC, it can loosen again.

Mine made a distinct metallic clicking/ticking sound with every
revolution.

One other trick that I forgot to mention. The object is to have the set
screw press squarely on the key. If the screw is not flat on the end, if
the end is at a slight angle, you can lightly file the end so that it
contacts the key squarely. The set screw can have a conical end but the
entire end should make contact with the key. Or buy a new set screw.