Tom Watson

Default Fuming it is! *PIC*

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 12:37:51 GMT, Bay Area Dave
wrote:

"But Santiago's problems were far from over; he was still a day's
journey from land, and he knew that the fish's blood would attract
sharks. "

Mo' Sawdust

Being subtle only works for people with a clue. ;-)

--
There is only one period and no underscores in the real email address.

Swingman

I was referring to the fact that you posted two messages in a row with no
content, IOW they were BLANK messages.

Nuttin' to do with BAD.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello,

All those fumes get to your keyboard ribbon?

I am just doing what my mother taught me, and Dave should learn the same.

Thanks,

David.

David F. Eisan

Keef,

And speaking of Kanada, somewhere in all my things I have a
shot of a Unisaw with a Beaver tagged dust door. I saw this
at a shop up in Edmonton (like Omaha only farther nort' and
west Leon). The picture didn't come out too goodly though
and to tell you the truth I'd have to go digging for it. I
wonder if FotoShoppe wouldn't resurrect the thing?

If you ask *really* nicely, I can bother my crusty neighbour and take a
picture of his old Unisaur that has the Beaver tag on the dust door.

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

David F. Eisan

Hello,

All those fumes get to your keyboard ribbon?

I am just doing what my mother taught me, and Dave should learn the

same.

I was referring to the fact that you posted two messages in a row with no
content, IOW they were BLANK messages.

Nuttin' to do with BAD.

Everything to do with BAD. If you don't have anything good to say about
something/someone, don't say anything at all.

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

Swingman

JEEEEZZZ!! ... It was NOT about BAD, or anything to do with BAD!!

It was A ***FRIENDLY** JOKE (maybe lame, but an attempted pun nonetheless),
about your keyboard ribbon being fumed to white, David ... ever see a ribbon
on a computer keyboard?

Get your shorts out of a twist. BAD has got you seeing bad in everyone.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello,

All those fumes get to your keyboard ribbon?

I am just doing what my mother taught me, and Dave should learn the

same.

I was referring to the fact that you posted two messages in a row with

no
content, IOW they were BLANK messages.

Nuttin' to do with BAD.

Everything to do with BAD. If you don't have anything good to say about
something/someone, don't say anything at all.

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

Bay Area Dave

methinks you assume too much.

Mo' Sawdust wrote:

Being subtle only works for people with a clue. ;-)

Unisaw A100

Soooooooo, um Dave, what machine were you planning to buy
next? Maybe we can work it into this thread and de-glam
David.

UA100
Bay Area Dave

please define "de-glam".
I'm more likely to be buying Neander tools from now on...got most of the
larger stuff now. Sure wish I was in the market for the new 735 planer
though--saw it running yesterday and liked it very much.

the portion of this thread dealing with personality conflict is over, as
far as I'm concerned. dave detests David and David detests Dave. works
for me, and works for him. the rest of the crowd just hangs around to
watch the action. sorry folks, action's over, as I've no more time for
this than I'm sure he does.

(you can all go home now folks; show's over)

dave

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Soooooooo, um Dave, what machine were you planning to buy
next? Maybe we can work it into this thread and de-glam
David.

UA100

Groggy

Hemmingway must be spinning in his grave to have the noble Santiago
associated with the Tail Gunner. Personally, I see him more as Shelly's
Ozymandias. Loud, brash, and, ultimately, a tragic and pitiable figure.

"Mo' Sawdust" wrote in message ...

Being subtle only works for people with a clue. ;-)

Cluetoken ain't a town in the Ozarks y'know

Unisaw A100

Bay Area Dave wrote:
please define "de-glam".

Jeez, aw hell, and here you are the guy that busted open the
whole thing wide open. Exposed the guy and everything.

I'm more likely to be buying Neander tools from now on...got most of the
larger stuff now. Sure wish I was in the market for the new 735 planer
though--saw it running yesterday and liked it very much.

So you're kinda getting wishy-washy on the whole stupid
neander thing?...

the portion of this thread dealing with personality conflict is over, as
far as I'm concerned. dave detests David and David detests Dave.

Sounds to me like its alive and well but I not being you...

the rest of the crowd just hangs around to watch the action. sorry
folks, action's over, as I've no more time for this than I'm sure he does.

Like I said. Sure looks to me like a meaty bit or two
flailing about.

(you can all go home now folks; show's over)

If it was only true.

UA100

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 1994 06:56:57 EST
Sender: Woodworking Discussions
From: Patrick Leach
Subject: Attn: Neanderthals! - Evolution of

This neanderthal has never so much as held a normRouter. Nor a bisquick
joiner. Nor a belt sandah. He has messed with a thickness planer, table-
saw, drill press (my old man's), and a bandsaw. Oh, and a chainsaw as well.

As time passes, my use of these machines dwindles. So much so that my
current project - 25 pair of double-hung sash - is a total handjob, other
than thicknessing and ripping. All crosscutting, tenoning, mortising,
coping, sticking, and boring is 100% USDA Neanderthal.

Can't say whether it's the tools themselves that causes one to de-evolve.
It's one of those nature vs. nurture thingies. I know that my 'born-again'
experience came as I hunted for the molding planes that I needed to
reproduce
the moldings in the home I wrecked. I was like a coke-head in Medellin,
seeing all the boner handtools that once built stuff Norm could only wet-
dream about. That and the fact that I grew up in a houseful of antiques
sorta made me a product of my environment.

As a newbie neanderthal, do I grunt or just club fellow neanderthals on

the
head when I meet them. Or.. is there a ** SECRET ** handshake out there?
Maybe we need to start talking on alt.paranet. Like I said I've been
having fun with this thread.

Nah, none of that. Just be an irritating, wise-ass, tongue-in-cheek,
never
take anything seriously, laugh at yourself attitude and you'll not only be
member, but the president of the club.

Patrick Leach
Just say Have to eat rolled anchovies stewed in Dave's Insanity Sauce, too.
etc.

Charlie Self

Mark & Juanita asks:

Did I read the above right, there are two prisons closing down WW
shops and outsourcing the work? There's a new one, prisoners
outsourcing their work. :-)

Hey, be nice. If the Army can outsource its beanies to China, why can't
prisons? Next up: license plates in Chinese characters.

Charlie Self
"Politics: A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The
conduct of public affairs for private advantage. " Ambrose Bierce

PM6564

Cluetoken ain't a town in the Ozarks y'know

Hey now - don't go associatin' the Ozarks and Tailgunner. That's downright
disrespectful to the Ozarks.

p.s. I just found out that my g.g.g.g grandfather came to the Ozarks and
was farming on a Spanish land grant 200+ years ago. To think that I came
back to the same state via Indiana and Pennsylvania. Harry Chapin had it
right about circles.

Bay Area Dave

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

please define "de-glam".

Jeez, aw hell, and here you are the guy that busted open the
whole thing wide open. Exposed the guy and everything.

I'm no Geraldo.

I'm more likely to be buying Neander tools from now on...got most of the
larger stuff now. Sure wish I was in the market for the new 735 planer
though--saw it running yesterday and liked it very much.

So you're kinda getting wishy-washy on the whole stupid
neander thing?...

yeah, I may get my chance to rhapsodize about the transcendental bliss
of shaving a wispy (or was it cottony?)...ah it was Chuck who deserves
the credit for, " A full-width, translucent, cottony-soft shaving, and a
surface that was noticeably smoother and shinier than any of the
others." It WAS hard to hold back the wallet whilst eyeing the goods at
the Lie-Nielsen booth yesterday. But I'm gonna start with a Veritas, if
it's all the same to you L-N'ers out there. Gotta spread those
buckaroos around where they do the most good.

the portion of this thread dealing with personality conflict is over, as
far as I'm concerned. dave detests David and David detests Dave.

Sounds to me like its alive and well but I not being you...

"IT" IS not alive; sorry.

the rest of the crowd just hangs around to watch the action. sorry
folks, action's over, as I've no more time for this than I'm sure he does.

Like I said. Sure looks to me like a meaty bit or two
flailing about.

(you can all go home now folks; show's over)

If it was only true.

Maybe another day. Not today.

dave

PM6564

Guess what I have gotten myself into? I am helping a friend teach a
woodworking extension course at a local high school in the evening. The
interesting part, the instructor is female, and so is the entire class!

Yeah, life sucks don't it? You're spending your time with exotic Canadian
women. I'm spending my time painting my daughter's room 2 different shades
of pink. I actually had to go into the paint store and ask for a gallon of
"Little Girl". She (three years old and 1 month) wanted to help paint her
room so now I have pink all over my Carhart overalls.

What about a certain girl-at-the-beach-next-to-the-Ranger?

Guess what I've gotten myself into? I was all set to spend the winter
making a new bed and dressser with some tasty walnut.

My wife told me that I have until the end of May to make a new cradle.

Bay Area Dave

So THAT'S the step I've been leaving out of my woodworking projects? I
didn't know I'm suppose to sample the wood first! Thanks for the tip
PM. BTW, how do you remove all those slivers from your tongue?

dave

PM6564 wrote:
snip I was all set to spend the winter
making a new bed and dressser with some tasty walnut.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article
e.rogers.com,
"David F. Eisan" wrote:

I don't know. The little cherry clock I made last year and did a lye dye job
has only mellowed in the last 18 months, I had a good look at it last
weekend when I was visiting the friend I gave it to. Where there was *some
very small* blotching that I saw when I "lye'd" the cherry, it has evened
out with time.

I am going to go *way* out here on a limb and speculate with absolutely
nothing to back me up here, but my supposition is that there is only so much
tannin to work with, and when you use it up chemically treating the wood,
that is it, no more colour change. In other words, all you are doing is
speeding up the oxidization process, and once it is done, it is done.

Sounds as good or better than anything I've been able to come up with -
in my experience, the fumed cherry pieces haven't darkened any more.
None are regularly exposed to direct sunlight, but I don't think it
would do much more (if anything).

http://www.flybynightcoppercompany.com
http://www.easystreet.com/~onlnlowe/index.html
grampa simpson

Can you post the technique on using ferrous sulphate?? And where you
purchased it. I would love to try it out.

Thanks,

Grampa Simpson

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:05:20 GMT, Chris Merrill
wrote:

Has anyone fumed maple?

No, but I have used ferrous sulphate to try and bring out birds eye
figure, and I'm currently experimenting with nitric acid / ferric
nitrate stains and heat (18th century gunsmithing techniques).

Logwood dye on maple is nice. Comes out silver grey and looks nothing
like maple, but it's a nice '30s style decorative highlight on a
light-coloured piece.

Doug Winterburn

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:27:00 +0000, Larry Jaques wrote:

I still feel that the Arizona warden had the right idea with
the tent prison. NOBODY wants to go back THERE! It also saves
the multi-billion dollar cost of cement prison buildings and
multi-million dollar entertainment/workout/libraries for each
building. Win/win, wot?

'Tis the Maricopa County Sheriff, Joe Arpio. Several years ago, a
reporter was asking him what he thought about the poor inmates in the
tents when it was 115 degrees outside. He said it was probably 125 inside
the tents so being outside wasn't so bad. He says he doesn't run a
correctional facility - he runs a jail.
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:44:08 GMT, "Doug Winterburn"
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:27:00 +0000, Larry Jaques wrote:

I still feel that the Arizona warden had the right idea with
the tent prison. NOBODY wants to go back THERE! It also saves
the multi-billion dollar cost of cement prison buildings and
multi-million dollar entertainment/workout/libraries for each
building. Win/win, wot?

'Tis the Maricopa County Sheriff, Joe Arpio. Several years ago, a

Yeah, that's the guy. All those Zonies look alike, so...
bseg

reporter was asking him what he thought about the poor inmates in the
tents when it was 115 degrees outside. He said it was probably 125 inside
the tents so being outside wasn't so bad. He says he doesn't run a
correctional facility - he runs a jail.

I love it. And no $4mil legal library to taunt the courts from,
all the hard work they can handle. Hell, in the big cities, people
are committing crimes to get off the street into air-conditioned
luxury. What has our society come to when the criminals are in
better quarters than their guards (homes) and the Tennessee cops
miss 27 out of 28 shots at a guy who wants a "suicide by cop"
death?

-----
In Knoxville, Tenn., in September, Thomas Martin McGouey, 51,
apparently set on committing suicide, left a note and painted a
bull's-eye on his body before arranging a standoff in which he pointed
a gun at police officers so they would kill him in self-defense.
McGouey's scheme failed because Knox County sheriff's deputies, who
fired 28 shots at him, missed with 27 and only grazed his shoulder
with the other. [Knoxville News-Sentinel, 9-19-03]
-----

Jim

Dave,
I've been wanting to try fuming (on white oak) but I can't find anyplace
that will ship the ammonia. Do you have a source?

Thanks,
jim
"David F. Eisan" wrote in
ble.rogers.com:

Dear All,

Well thanks to Mr. Owen Shim and others, it looks like I am going to
fume my little cherry clock with ammonia.

Here is what my test piece looks like set beside the clock,

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/fume1.jpg

I compared it to a cherry table I made about 20 years ago, and it is
even darker than the table. Fuming seems to make the cherry look as
old as it ever will in just a few days of exposure.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 04:00:17 GMT, Jim wrote:

I've been wanting to try fuming (on white oak) but I can't find anyplace
that will ship the ammonia.

Just go and buy the stuff at your local ironmongers. You only need 25%
- you can buy this as a domestic cleaner, it's not some terrifying
industrial cleaner.

A Dog Named Stain

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
m...
There's always a place in my heart
for a beefy 3 HP motor and a fast spinning blade.

We could only hope.

Andrew Barss

: wrote:

:Has anyone fumed maple?

: No, but I have used ferrous sulphate to try and bring out birds eye
: figure, and I'm currently experimenting with nitric acid / ferric
: nitrate stains and heat (18th century gunsmithing techniques).

: Logwood dye on maple is nice. Comes out silver grey and looks nothing
: like maple, but it's a nice '30s style decorative highlight on a
: light-coloured piece.

Where do you get logwood dye? And is the stuff hazardous?

-- Andy Barss

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 07:12:42 -0800, "grampa simpson"
wrote:

Can you post the technique on using ferrous sulphate??

I don't have a "technique", I'm still trying to get it right.
Sometimes it works, more often it turns the whole surface a muddy
grey.

I got the idea from "Classic Wood Finishing" by George Frank
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0806970634/codesmiths-20
This is the best guide to real French-style French polishing I've ever
read, and worth getting for that alone.

Most of the book is about colouring wood. Frank did a lot of
experimenting, and illustrates many of the results (lots of colour
pictures in this book). However he doesn't always describe the
process, and his chemical knowledge is frequently inaccurate. He's
the only ebeniste I've seen who could do much useful with logwood
though, let alone the infamously unstable alkanet root.

The birdseye maple is just there as an illustration. The process is to
make the surface moist and highly alkaline with caustic soda (lye),
then apply a solution of ferrous sulphate. My experience is that you
need to be quick with this, and have a reasonably strong solution. The
colouring is most effective around the "end grain" of the curl and
eyes, and you need to get the whole thing coloured and neutralised
before the whole piece of timber starts to turn grain, long grain too.
Slowness or excess dilution allows the whole piece to turn pale grey.

I keep lots of assorted ferrous salts around for doing copper
patination, including ferrous sulphate. Ferrous salts are cheap and of
low hazard, so they're quite easy to get hold of (there is no problem
in only commercial labs using them). If you can't find a retail
chemical supplier locally, try asking school chemistry teachers where
they shop.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:29:13 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

Where do you get logwood dye? And is the stuff hazardous?

You buy logwood as chips, then boil it up yourself. Couple of
spoonfuls in a tin can, enough water to cover it and simmer for ten
minutes. Needs to be used with a mordant (tin chloride, alum) and the
mordant choice and pH influences the colour. Gives some very
interesting colours on oak, even some nice blues, and the oak's tannin
is usually enough to act as a mordant on its own.

I don't know about any minor toxicity problems, but it's certainly not
a hazard I worry about.

I think it's Mexican in origin these days, but it's not hard to get
hold of from web-order alchemy suppliers. Other sources that
woodworkers should be aware of are pagans and incense makers. You can
find dyestuffs like dragon's blood or all of the resins like copal and
sandarac that you need for reproducing 18th century spirit varnishes.

Now if anyone knows how the hell to do anything useful with alkanet
root, then I'd love to hear it ! Boil that up in oil and you get a
beautiful deep crimson, but it fades in a few days, even in darkness.
Nothing I know will preserve it.

Jim

Andy Dingley wrote in
news
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 04:00:17 GMT, Jim wrote:

I've been wanting to try fuming (on white oak) but I can't find

anyplace
that will ship the ammonia.

Just go and buy the stuff at your local ironmongers. You only need 25%
- you can buy this as a domestic cleaner, it's not some terrifying
industrial cleaner.

What is ironmongers? I have checked around in the local stores for
cleaning supplies and nothing is even close to 25%...

Charlie Self

Jim Schatte asks:

What is ironmongers? I have checked around in the local stores for
cleaning supplies and nothing is even close to 25%...

I think "ironmongers" is British for hardware store.

If you can't locate it there, check out any store locally that does extensive
blueprint copying. The word is not much is done with ammonia these days, but in
some areas the word is wrong. Ammonia used to bring up blueprints is plenty
strong.

I think regular house grade ammonia will also work: it just takes a lot longer.

Charlie Self

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas J. Watson