David F. Eisan

Default Fuming it is! *PIC*

Dear All,

Well thanks to Mr. Owen Shim and others, it looks like I am going to fume my
little cherry clock with ammonia.

Here is what my test piece looks like set beside the clock,

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/fume1.jpg

I compared it to a cherry table I made about 20 years ago, and it is even
darker than the table. Fuming seems to make the cherry look as old as it
ever will in just a few days of exposure.

I like it and I will keep everyone posted on how things are coming,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

Scott Cramer

On 31 Oct 2003, Bay Area Dave blathered:

You'll keep us posted???

I wait with baited breath...

Unless you have a piece of anchovy caught in your teeth, that should
be 'bated breath,' meaning "I'm holding my breath."

NOT!

Why not? David E.'s work is always worth looking at, and he shares
the results of his behind-the-scenes investigations into techniques, which
benefits all of us.

You, on the other hand, can't seem to wipe yourself without asking
how to fold the paper first.

Larry C in Auburn, WA

I like it! I'm looking forward to seeing the before and after pictures as
well as the process pictures. It's always cool to learn another technique
you can use. I've never tried fuming either as it seemed a bit complicated
to me as well (my Engineering professors are probably doing a 180 as we
speak). Maybe you can give us the layman's directions when done.

--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Dear All,

Well thanks to Mr. Owen Shim and others, it looks like I am going to fume

my
little cherry clock with ammonia.

Here is what my test piece looks like set beside the clock,

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/fume1.jpg

I compared it to a cherry table I made about 20 years ago, and it is even
darker than the table. Fuming seems to make the cherry look as old as it
ever will in just a few days of exposure.

I like it and I will keep everyone posted on how things are coming,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

Swingman

What do you use for "bait"?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
You'll keep us posted???

I wait with baited breath...

Bay Area Dave

oops! make that "bated breath". g

dave

Swingman wrote:

What do you use for "bait"?

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Scott Cramer wrote:
On 31 Oct 2003, Bay Area Dave blathered:

You'll keep us posted???

I wait with baited breath...

Unless you have a piece of anchovy caught in your teeth, that
should be 'bated breath,' meaning "I'm holding my breath."

Damn... you beat me to it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

DLGlos

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:35:42 GMT, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

Wow, that sure looks purty. Wish I had known about that trick a week
ago. Made up a little holder panel on base (looks kinda like a book
stand, except the back is more vertical) for a bookshelf stereo
system. The system looked fine without it, but the cat found a way to
send the pieces crashing to the floor. Tain't no way she will be able
to do the same now.

Point is, made it from a nicely figured piece of cherry (approximately
12"x27"x1/2") the father-in-law gave me. Would have looked real nice
with that deep red-orange glow that only old cherry seems to posses.

Have an old cherry gate leg table and corner cupboard, both well over
100 years old, that just glow. The table has 2 boards that are
approximately 22" wide. Nice to find a way to impart that glow in my
lifetime.

DLG

Dear All,

Well thanks to Mr. Owen Shim and others, it looks like I am going to fume my
little cherry clock with ammonia.

Here is what my test piece looks like set beside the clock,

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/fume1.jpg

I compared it to a cherry table I made about 20 years ago, and it is even
darker than the table. Fuming seems to make the cherry look as old as it
ever will in just a few days of exposure.

I like it and I will keep everyone posted on how things are coming,

David.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:35:42 GMT, "David F. Eisan"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Dear All,

Well thanks to Mr. Owen Shim and others, it looks like I am going to fume my
little cherry clock with ammonia.

Here is what my test piece looks like set beside the clock,

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/fume1.jpg

How about a closeup of that test piece, Davey?
It looks interesting.

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown
WebsterSteve

"Larry C in Auburn, WA" wrote in message news:WGuob.71037$e01.249285@attbi_s02...
I like it! I'm looking forward to seeing the before and after pictures as
well as the process pictures. It's always cool to learn another technique
you can use. I've never tried fuming either as it seemed a bit complicated
to me as well (my Engineering professors are probably doing a 180 as we
speak). Maybe you can give us the layman's directions when done.

--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

http://musial.ws/fuming.htm
WebsterSteve

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
Dear All,

Well thanks to Mr. Owen Shim and others, it looks like I am going to fume my
little cherry clock with ammonia.

Here is what my test piece looks like set beside the clock,

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/fume1.jpg

I compared it to a cherry table I made about 20 years ago, and it is even
darker than the table. Fuming seems to make the cherry look as old as it
ever will in just a few days of exposure.

I like it and I will keep everyone posted on how things are coming,

David.

David,

Do you think it will get even darker from UV/light? The ammonia (or
lye if you would have used that) reacts with the tannins. I'm not
sure what light reacts with but I fear ( well not really fear - I'd
say "think" but I don't do much of that either) that the piece may
become almost black when the cherry darkens even more from light.

This may have been discussed already but with the signal to noise
ratio lately, I haven't been visiting much.
Chris Merrill

WebsterSteve wrote:
http://musial.ws/fuming.htm

Great page...thanks!

Has anyone fumed maple? My BIL was considering staining his current
maple project, but decided to use amber shellac instead - due to poor
consistency with some stain samples.

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:05:20 GMT, Chris Merrill
wrote:

Has anyone fumed maple?

No, but I have used ferrous sulphate to try and bring out birds eye
figure, and I'm currently experimenting with nitric acid / ferric
nitrate stains and heat (18th century gunsmithing techniques).

Logwood dye on maple is nice. Comes out silver grey and looks nothing
like maple, but it's a nice '30s style decorative highlight on a
light-coloured piece.

Groggy

Whassa matter Dave - this thread not about you?

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. ..
You'll keep us posted???

I wait with baited breath...

NOT!

Charlie Self

Groggy responds:

Whassa matter Dave - this thread not about you?

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
You'll keep us posted???

I wait with baited breath...

I'm just wondering what he's trying to catch. Baited breath..cheese, for mice?
Or does he mean "bated," as in "holding?"

Charlie Self
"Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be
common." Satchel Paige

Bay Area Dave

you must have missed my acknowledgment that I added the "i". see post
8:25AM. at least that's the time showing here in CA.

dave

Charlie Self wrote:

Groggy responds:

Whassa matter Dave - this thread not about you?

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
m...

You'll keep us posted???

I wait with baited breath...

I'm just wondering what he's trying to catch. Baited breath..cheese, for mice?
Or does he mean "bated," as in "holding?"

Charlie Self
"Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be
common." Satchel Paige

Bay Area Dave

I don't post pictures every time I turn around nor expect everyone here
to await the next promised batch of "must watch jpegs" with unbridled
excitement. Get a life.

dave

Groggy wrote:

Whassa matter Dave - this thread not about you?

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. ..

You'll keep us posted???

I wait with baited breath...

NOT!

Silvan

Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:

speak). Maybe you can give us the layman's directions when done.

Second that. I'm too stupid to even read the thread where all the chemical
details were discussed, but that transformation sure was amazing! It's
going to be beautiful.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

David F. Eisan

Larry Jaques

WebsterSteve wrote:
http://musial.ws/fuming.htm

Great page...thanks!

Has anyone fumed maple? My BIL was considering staining his current
maple project, but decided to use amber shellac instead - due to poor
consistency with some stain samples.

I'll be fuming some ebony this weekend.

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown
David F. Eisan

Groggy

"Charlie Self" wrote in message ...

I'm just wondering what he's trying to catch. Baited breath..cheese, for

mice?
Or does he mean "bated," as in "holding?"

Baited as in troll-bait perhaps, I suspect a Freudian slip, and I am not
referring to router bits and collets either.

Groggy

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message ...
I don't post pictures every time I turn around nor expect everyone here
to await the next promised batch of "must watch jpegs" with unbridled
excitement. Get a life.

It seems you've allocated some special time to embarrass yourself in public
again Dave.

David Eisan has been a wealth of information over the years, helping others
and explaining what he learns along the way. He posts and maintains the FAQ
on behalf of the wreck, he doesn't attack or belittle others, he adds value
by providing pictures of techniques he is trying and generating discussion.
In short, he is and always has been a valued contributor. Since this bothers
you, what exactly do you think participation in the wreck is about?

Greg

Swingman

All those fumes get to your keyboard ribbon?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
. rogers.com...

Swingman

It comes out looking like poplar ... DAMHIKT

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I'll be fuming some ebony this weekend.

Bay Area Dave

i take you out of my twit list for 5 days and you just can't wait to act
up, can you? bye, again.

nothing of value

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 08:16:02 GMT, "Groggy"
brought forth from the murky depths:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message ...

I'm just wondering what he's trying to catch. Baited breath..cheese, for

mice?
Or does he mean "bated," as in "holding?"

Baited as in troll-bait perhaps, I suspect a Freudian slip, and I am not
referring to router bits and collets either.

CHRIST, guys. Can't you tell that he is a troll, nothing more?
Why must you continue to respond to him? ------------

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown
Unisaw A100

sigh...

UA100

Groggy

"Bay Area Dave" to avoid answering the question, puts his fingers in his
ears and says "la la la la la......"

i take you out of my twit list for 5 days and you just can't wait to act
up, can you? bye, again.

One of these days you'll answer the question instead of running away. If you
are going to make foolish statements at least have the courage to "try" to
support them.

PM6564

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
I don't post pictures every time I turn around nor expect everyone here
to await the next promised batch of "must watch jpegs" with unbridled
excitement. Get a life.

We understand. Afterall, how can you center the picture with your head so
far up your ass?

Groggy

David,

what is the effect on glue? Does it weaken? Also, does the glue stop
darkening by the ammonia?

Greg

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Dear All,

Well thanks to Mr. Owen Shim and others, it looks like I am going to fume

my
little cherry clock with ammonia.

Here is what my test piece looks like set beside the clock,

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/fume1.jpg

David F. Eisan

Hello,

All those fumes get to your keyboard ribbon?

I am just doing what my mother taught me, and Dave should learn the same.

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

David F. Eisan

Keef,

sigh...

Ayup.

On another note, wait until you see the pictures of the motherload of all
trade in's. I am buying two massive shops at work to trade in on downsized
new equipment (two prisions ww'ing shops closed, new smaller outsourced shop
being built). Things like General 12" jointer, 24" planer, floor model
mortiser (like a Yates), knobless dust door cast iron based Canukastani made
Unisaurs, Crescent/Delta 20" bandsaws, 16" Wadkin TS's, lathes, radio alarm
saws, the list goes on and on.

Uniqueasaur.

David F. Eisan

Steve,

I don't post pictures every time I turn around nor expect everyone here
to await the next promised batch of "must watch jpegs" with unbridled
excitement. Get a life.

We understand. Afterall, how can you center the picture with your head so
far up your ass?

The difference is I know how to use the tools and share how to make stuff,
he only asks what to buy next.

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

David F. Eisan

Steve,

Do you think it will get even darker from UV/light? The ammonia (or
lye if you would have used that) reacts with the tannins. I'm not
sure what light reacts with but I fear ( well not really fear - I'd
say "think" but I don't do much of that either) that the piece may
become almost black when the cherry darkens even more from light.

I don't know. The little cherry clock I made last year and did a lye dye job
has only mellowed in the last 18 months, I had a good look at it last
weekend when I was visiting the friend I gave it to. Where there was *some
very small* blotching that I saw when I "lye'd" the cherry, it has evened
out with time.

I am going to go *way* out here on a limb and speculate with absolutely
nothing to back me up here, but my supposition is that there is only so much
tannin to work with, and when you use it up chemically treating the wood,
that is it, no more colour change. In other words, all you are doing is
speeding up the oxidization process, and once it is done, it is done.

This may have been discussed already but with the signal to noise
ratio lately, I haven't been visiting much.

I don't see any of the ****, Nfilter does work, and it works well. Only
problem is that it has disappeared from the web. I hope someone hosts the
..exe so I can point to it in the mini-faq.

Guess what I have gotten myself into? I am helping a friend teach a
woodworking extension course at a local high school in the evening. The
interesting part, the instructor is female, and so is the entire class!

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

Unisaw A100

David F. Eisan wrote:
Uniqueasaur.

Some guys get all the fun jobs. You'll of course me making
up a pictorial record???

And speaking of Kanada, somewhere in all my things I have a
shot of a Unisaw with a Beaver tagged dust door. I saw this
at a shop up in Edmonton (like Omaha only farther nort' and
west Leon). The picture didn't come out too goodly though
and to tell you the truth I'd have to go digging for it. I
wonder if FotoShoppe wouldn't resurrect the thing?

sigh...

UA100
Charlie Self

And speaking of Kanada, somewhere in all my things I have a
shot of a Unisaw with a Beaver tagged dust door. I saw this
at a shop up in Edmonton (like Omaha only farther nort' and
west Leon). The picture didn't come out too goodly though
and to tell you the truth I'd have to go digging for it. I
wonder if FotoShoppe wouldn't resurrect the thing?

Gotta keep an eye on those Beavers.

I brought up an old ('73) shot of a Yankee half-miler (motorcycle made in
Schenectady, NY for a few seasons) set up for ice racing, taken at Glens Falls
in February (the lakes have to be cold enough to hold a *lot* of vehicles).
Scanned way too dark, though it's medium format, but PSE 2 did a fine job of
turning it into as much of a visual treat as it will ever be. Mostly a reminder
of going on my butt on the same bike while playing around after the races.

Charlie Self
"Politics: A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The
conduct of public affairs for private advantage. " Ambrose Bierce

Bay Area Dave

THIS IS PRECISELY WHY I CAN'T STAND YOU. YOU LIE. EITHER THAT OR YOU
HAVE SELECTIVE READING SKILLS. JERK!

SNIP