Henry St.Pierre

Default Fuming it is! *PIC*

"A Dog Named Stain" wrote in
:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
m...
There's always a place in my heart
for a beefy 3 HP motor and a fast spinning blade.

We could only hope.

Good one.

Hank

Bay Area Dave

I set myself up for that one, I see! Gotta fire the proofreader.

dave

Henry St.Pierre wrote:

"A Dog Named Stain" wrote in
:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. com...
There's always a place in my heart

for a beefy 3 HP motor and a fast spinning blade.

We could only hope.

Good one.

Hank

Brent Slone

Good question, David.

I work with a lot of cherry, cut from my dad's farm, and I've had that
problem with Lye-darkened cherry. Over time, it appears to get darker and
darker.

Brent

"WebsterSteve" wrote in message
om...
"David F. Eisan" wrote in message

able.rogers.com...
Dear All,

Well thanks to Mr. Owen Shim and others, it looks like I am going to

fume my
little cherry clock with ammonia.

Here is what my test piece looks like set beside the clock,

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/fume1.jpg

I compared it to a cherry table I made about 20 years ago, and it is

even
darker than the table. Fuming seems to make the cherry look as old as it
ever will in just a few days of exposure.

I like it and I will keep everyone posted on how things are coming,

David.

David,

Do you think it will get even darker from UV/light? The ammonia (or
lye if you would have used that) reacts with the tannins. I'm not
sure what light reacts with but I fear ( well not really fear - I'd
say "think" but I don't do much of that either) that the piece may
become almost black when the cherry darkens even more from light.

This may have been discussed already but with the signal to noise
ratio lately, I haven't been visiting much.