Andy Dingley

Default Fuming it is! *PIC*

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:29:13 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

Where do you get logwood dye? And is the stuff hazardous?

You buy logwood as chips, then boil it up yourself. Couple of
spoonfuls in a tin can, enough water to cover it and simmer for ten
minutes. Needs to be used with a mordant (tin chloride, alum) and the
mordant choice and pH influences the colour. Gives some very
interesting colours on oak, even some nice blues, and the oak's tannin
is usually enough to act as a mordant on its own.

I don't know about any minor toxicity problems, but it's certainly not
a hazard I worry about.

I think it's Mexican in origin these days, but it's not hard to get
hold of from web-order alchemy suppliers. Other sources that
woodworkers should be aware of are pagans and incense makers. You can
find dyestuffs like dragon's blood or all of the resins like copal and
sandarac that you need for reproducing 18th century spirit varnishes.

Now if anyone knows how the hell to do anything useful with alkanet
root, then I'd love to hear it ! Boil that up in oil and you get a
beautiful deep crimson, but it fades in a few days, even in darkness.
Nothing I know will preserve it.