Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Getting the Craftsman Compucarve thingie for Christmas anyone using it out there?

Wife decided to pick me out a nice toy since I did such a good job on the
kitchen this past summer. I've looked at it for over a year and can see some
use for it.... But it really seems to be shunned by the woodies! How come?

Posted to rec.woodworking

sawzdust wrote:
Wife decided to pick me out a nice toy since I did such a good job
on
the kitchen this past summer. I've looked at it for over a year and
can see some use for it.... But it really seems to be shunned by the
woodies! How come?

It has limitations of depth and precision. Was discussed fairly
extensively when it first came out. I don't think anybody here has
actually gotten one and played with it.

Read the reviews on the Sears site and the posts at
http://forum.carvewright.com/ and if you still want it, let us all
know how it works out. This is one tool that I would buy _with_ an
extended warranty because apparently it needs it.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 18, 3:08 am, "sawzdust" wrote:
Wife decided to pick me out a nice toy since I did such a good job on the
kitchen this past summer. I've looked at it for over a year and can see some
use for it.... But it really seems to be shunned by the woodies! How come?

When people look at some item I've made and ask, "How'd you do that?",
I sometimes tell them I have a computerized woodworking machine in my
shop. I tell them I just throw a stick of firewood in one end and it
comes out the other end as whatever I want it to be. I think most of
us see computerized woodworking tools as just a little too close to my
imaginary machine. Sure, it will make neat things, but it's just not
woodworking to me. Buy yourself a good hand plane and learn to use
it. Then you'll understand. Or not.

DonkeyHody
"There's a difference between doing things right and doing the right
things."

Posted to rec.woodworking

DonkeyHody wrote:
[...]

A good hand plane doesn't do detailed relief carving.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 18, 10:50 am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
DonkeyHody wrote:
[...]

He's got you there, DonkeyHody....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Buy yourself a good hand plane and learn to use
it. Then you'll understand. Or not.

A good hand plane doesn't do detailed relief carving.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

He's got you there, DonkeyHody....- Hide quoted text -

Y'all are missing the point entirely. The point wasn't about
different ways to get a relief carved panel. The point was about the
pleasure of working with your hands as opposed to pressing buttons on
a machine. Maybe I should have attempted some eloquence about the
deep spiritual experience when a razor sharp carving tool trails a
curly shaving as it leaves a perfect groove in a panel of good wood.
But I've never used carving tools, although I have used a good plane.
I expected you to make the leap to the philosophical, but you remained
mired in the literal. Pearls before swine.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 18, 12:11 pm, DonkeyHody wrote:
[...]

I got your point just fine, Donk. *I* did.

What is the emoticon for 'tongue-in-cheek'? I must have misplaced mine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DonkeyHody wrote:
[...]

I got your point. One can spend years trying to develop the skill to
do what a CompuCarver can do and never get there. Where does one want
to put one's effort? And where does the joy derive? For you it's
making shavings, for others it's design or finishing or some other
aspect. And for still others it's getting paid for the finished
product.

Don't assume that your values are the only ones that are valid.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
[...]

The point was never missed... the kitchen cabinets all made and finished by
hand including the island. There are very detailed carvings that I would
like to create and duplicate and since I have only one life span the
Compucarve could save a great deal of time and offer a lot more options then
dying of old age leaving the job unfinished. Some of us really don't have
the time to carve specific items that may take months of spare time for one
piece whereas in under 5 hours and I can duplicate it, modify it and
recreate it at anytime I wish. At some point the finished product simply
outways the "process" regardless how noble or spiritual. Having the literal
in hand beats 2 philosophicals in the bush.

........it's simply another tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sawzdust" wrote

Having the literal
in hand beats 2 philosophicals in the bush.

But ain't that a sin?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

The point was never missed... the kitchen cabinets all made and finished by
hand including the island. There are very detailed carvings that I would
like to create and duplicate and since I have only one life span the
Compucarve could save a great deal of time and offer a lot more options then
dying of old age leaving the job unfinished. Some of us really don't have
the time to carve specific items that may take months of spare time for one
piece whereas in under 5 hours and I can duplicate it, modify it and
recreate it at anytime I wish. At some point the finished product simply
outways the "process" regardless how noble or spiritual. Having the literal
in hand beats 2 philosophicals in the bush.

.......it's simply another tool.-

I don't often troll, but sometimes the Devil makes me do it. I'm
pretty much a Normie myself, but I'm discovering the Zen of Neander.
Y'all have fun with your compucarver. That's why they make chocolate
and vanilla.

DonkeyHody
"Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time
we rushed through life trying to save." - Will Rogers
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"sawzdust" wrote

Having the literal
in hand beats 2 philosophicals in the bush.

But ain't that a sin?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Only in the Luthern Church....

Posted to rec.woodworking

SOmebody wrote:

Having the literal
in hand beats 2 philosophicals in the bush.

A bird in the hand,
Is worth two in the bush,
Unless in yonder bush a fair maiden should stand,

Then, a push in the bush,
Is worth two in the hand.

Author unknown.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I got an extensive demo at the AWFS show. Really nice product manager.
Great little machine. Not really production shop ready because the
work cycle life is too short but great for home work. I think you
should pull a few of those upper cab doors in the kitchen and add some
nice wheat stocks or other appropriate carving.

I think you can ad lots of interesting elements to custom hand worked
projects so it not just a computerized project.

I have been wondering of you can do some cool inlay work with this
thing by having it carve the inlay area and then have it trim a veener
to fit. I can't recall if they we talking about doing that at the show
but we were doing it with a laser and it was super cool.

On Dec 18, 1:08 am, "sawzdust" wrote:
Wife decided to pick me out a nice toy since I did such a good job on the
kitchen this past summer. I've looked at it for over a year and can see some
use for it.... But it really seems to be shunned by the woodies! How come?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks! Someone is actually helpful! Basically, from my looking into it is
that there is a great deal of either time or money into the artwork alone
and from some reviews they do question the life cycle of some of the major
components. With a 200 hour warranty..... that's most likely half of the
learning curve and you know at 201 hours it'll croak.

I downloaded the carvewright software demo and if that's a sign of the
product, I'm REALLY concerned it simply crashes. So I went to the Vector
Arts and downloaded their application demo and that works fine. I'll play
with Corel and the various CAD and see what works best with what. I also
don't like their proprietary memory cards.

Overall the good seems to beat out the bad IF you get some life out of it.
The uses and freedoms are enormous. The wife was able to get it at $1,699 so
I don't think it's that bad of a write off.

I've already got the mantle on the fireplace as well as new crown molding
above the cabinets lined up!!!!

Thanks!.

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sawzdust" wrote in message

There are very detailed carvings that I would like to create and
duplicate and since I have only one life span the Compucarve could save a
great deal of time and offer a lot more options then dying of old age
leaving the job unfinished.

I have zero experience with the machine but one of the complaints that I
have heard is that you are restricted to the designs that they publish. If
true, that would make it a nonstarter for me.

Does anyone have the machine? If so, can you create entirely new designs?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wouldn't worry about a breakdown. I think the PM said he thought the
the main bearings would last over 2,000 hours, but that's just a year
in a production shop. He also indicated it would be totally
maintainable and is built with standard parts, so I wouldn't expect
any reliability problem.

Software can be a problem, that's my business. I didn't do too much
looking at that but hopefully that works out OK.

BW

On Dec 18, 7:56 pm, "sawzdust" wrote:
[...]

come?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

I wouldn't worry about a breakdown. I think the PM said he thought

the
the main bearings would last over 2,000 hours, but that's just a

year
in a production shop.

2,000 hour bearing life!

You can't be serious, unless that is at 100% load.

Lew
..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sawdust,

I dont have one yet but have been drooling over itg. Here are some links
that I have collected:

http://www.allcw.com/

http://www.carveright.com/software.html

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...=&fpart=4&vc=1

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr... psed&sb=5&o=

May be of some help.

Skip
www.ShopFileR.com

"sawzdust" wrote in message
Wife decided to pick me out a nice toy since I did such a good job on the
kitchen this past summer. I've looked at it for over a year and can see
some use for it.... But it really seems to be shunned by the woodies! How
come?

Posted to rec.woodworking

The bearings he was talking about are the precision components in the
actuator assemblies that move the spindle, not the spindle bearings. I
think it is nothing about the load. The high percision bearings wear
out quickly because they are built to introduce no darg and have no
slop (high percision) and the tradeoff for this combination is shorter
life span. I'm sure you could let the spindle spin for years..

On Dec 19, 12:10 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
I wouldn't worry about a breakdown. I think the PM said he thought

the
the main bearings would last over 2,000 hours, but that's just a

year
in a production shop.

2,000 hour bearing life!

You can't be serious, unless that is at 100% load.

Lew
.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

The bearings he was talking about are the precision components in

the
actuator assemblies that move the spindle, not the spindle bearings.

think it is nothing about the load. The high percision bearings wear
out quickly because they are built to introduce no darg and have no
slop (high percision) and the tradeoff for this combination is

shorter
life span. I'm sure you could let the spindle spin for years..

Having spent a few years doing bearing research as well as specifing
bearings for both automotive as well as machine tool applications,
gives me a little perspecyive ao the subject of bearings.

Any supplier who tried to pass off the above, would have been placed
on the unapproved list.

Precision and long life are not mutually exclusive terms in the
bearing industry.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

The bearings he was talking about are the precision components in

the
actuator assemblies that move the spindle, not the spindle bearings.

think it is nothing about the load. The high percision bearings wear
out quickly because they are built to introduce no darg and have no
slop (high percision) and the tradeoff for this combination is

shorter
life span. I'm sure you could let the spindle spin for years..

Having spent a few years doing bearing research as well as specifing
bearings for both automotive as well as machine tool applications,
gives me a little perspecyive ao the subject of bearings.

Any supplier who tried to pass off the above, would have been placed
on the unapproved list.

I guess that you will not be purchasing one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Drackman" wrote in message
. ..

"sawzdust" wrote in message

There are very detailed carvings that I would like to create and
duplicate and since I have only one life span the Compucarve could save a
great deal of time and offer a lot more options then dying of old age
leaving the job unfinished.

I have zero experience with the machine but one of the complaints that I
have heard is that you are restricted to the designs that they publish.
If true, that would make it a nonstarter for me.

Does anyone have the machine? If so, can you create entirely new designs?

I would agree that that's a real limitation, but not the case. The Software
itself allows you to create. The Library's you can add/purchase only make
less work for you. Other then that you can import most standard graphic
formats (bmp,jpeg etc) and it will gray scale them (darker = deeper). What
does concern me is in thier faq they speak of "advanced features" to be
released at a later date.... Also you can use Vectorarts3d application and
library.

Unfortunately no CAD support (another advanced feature in the future)

But I think I can easily take or create anything either scanning/photo or
even drawing the damn things and get it to work. I haven't gotten the
Compucarve demo software to work yet but the Vector Arts demo works fine and
am currently examining the functions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sawzdust wrote:
I'd have to agree about the bearings, I guess the first thing I'll
do
is take it apart;-)

The manufacturer admits that some machines got out without proper
lubrication on the flex shaft--if that's the case, they may have
gotten out without proper lubrication elsewhere, so it probably
wouldn't be a bad idea to lube everything that needs lube just on
general principle.

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am just recalling my conversation with the product manager and posed
with the direct question about cycle life he did say some bearings
probably only had a life of 2,000 hours. He did kind of think about it
for a moment but seemed genuine in his response. He also did mention
it was in the movement system. I was just speculating on the reasons.
I still feel this was a reasonable life time before you'd need some
maintenance and repair. If in production I'd hope to generate at least
$10 of profit an hour off of the unit... again, just wild-eyed
speculation.

That's what's great about these forums. You can just spout your
opinion like you actually know what you are talking about and when you
get called on the carpet by someone who really does know their ****,
it's not so embarrasing to admit your limitations.

All that said, I still hope to own one of these babies eventually.

BW

On Dec 19, 2:13 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
[...]

How to concoct "pickpocket proof(ish)" money/passport, well, thingie? David Combs Home Repair 10 February 16th 07 06:53 PM
compucarve brianlanning Woodworking 18 January 19th 07 06:43 PM
Sears CompuCarve - Amazing Vince Heuring Woodworking 33 October 19th 06 03:22 PM
Craftsman Craftsman 12 in. Band Saw any good? Paul Currie Woodworking 10 January 18th 06 02:51 AM