Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Currie

Default Craftsman Craftsman 12 in. Band Saw any good?

Comments on the the above two wheel steel frame band saw anyone? Looking
for a hobbyist band saw for a small shop...other possibilties would be
Ryobi 9002 or perhaps Ryobi BS1001
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Paul Currie
wrote:

Comments on the the above two wheel steel frame band saw anyone? Looking
for a hobbyist band saw for a small shop...other possibilties would be
Ryobi 9002 or perhaps Ryobi BS1001

Paul,

I bought a small bandsaw from House of Tools for $200 for my smalll
basement shop. It's decent quality, but I *really* regret not saving a
bit more and buying a 14" that could take a riser kit.

The small saws really are limited in what they can do. You should think
hard about a 14" Delta or such.

My $0.02 (CDN)

djb

--
Any government will work if authority and responsibility are equal and
coordinate. This does not insure "good" government; it simply insures that it
Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Currie

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Paul Currie
wrote:

Comments on the the above two wheel steel frame band saw anyone? Looking
for a hobbyist band saw for a small shop...other possibilties would be
Ryobi 9002 or perhaps Ryobi BS1001

Paul,

I bought a small bandsaw from House of Tools for $200 for my smalll
basement shop. It's decent quality, but I *really* regret not saving a
bit more and buying a 14" that could take a riser kit.

The small saws really are limited in what they can do. You should think
hard about a 14" Delta or such.

My $0.02 (CDN)

djb

Dave, I looked at what House of Tools has, I have thought long and hard
about 14" cast two wheelers....a little more than I want to spend
although if I could find a used one.....I was in the states yesterday
and dropped by a Sears store and was kinda impressed by the Craftsman,
its depth of cut is 7", whether it has the jam to do that or not is
certainly debatable
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&ihtoken=1#tab
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Paul Currie
wrote:

I was in the states yesterday
and dropped by a Sears store and was kinda impressed by the Craftsman,
its depth of cut is 7", whether it has the jam to do that or not is
certainly debatable

Looks like it may be US only, I couldn't find it on the sears.ca site.

I'd like a 7" resaw depth, fer sure. But the price for a 14" isn't that
much more...

djb

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Paul Currie" wrote in message
Comments on the the above two wheel steel frame band saw anyone? Looking
for a hobbyist band saw for a small shop...other possibilties would be
Ryobi 9002 or perhaps Ryobi BS1001

If you look down the page a bit, someone wrote about it in depth.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Currie

Toller wrote:
"Paul Currie" wrote in message
Comments on the the above two wheel steel frame band saw anyone? Looking
for a hobbyist band saw for a small shop...other possibilties would be
Ryobi 9002 or perhaps Ryobi BS1001

If you look down the page a bit, someone wrote about it in depth.

How far? I went back 600 threads and did not see anything, kinda bad
eyes...could you point me where HaHa? THX
Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mills

"Paul Currie" wrote in message

How far? I went back 600 threads and did not see anything, kinda bad
eyes...could you point me where HaHa? THX

It was Jan 14, titled " Review of Craftsman new 12 inch Band Saw" (or
something similar). RM~

Posted to rec.woodworking
Don

"Dave Balderstone" wrote
Paul Currie wrote:
I was in the states yesterday
and dropped by a Sears store and was kinda impressed by the Craftsman,
its depth of cut is 7", whether it has the jam to do that or not is
certainly debatable

Looks like it may be US only, I couldn't find it on the sears.ca site.

I'd like a 7" resaw depth, fer sure. But the price for a 14" isn't that
much more...

At about $40 + S&H, more would the Grizzly G0580 14" 3/4 hp (optional 6"
riser block) be a better deal?
http://tinyurl.com/8ny83

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

I have the Ryobi BS1001, and it's OK. Definitely functional, but not
outstanding in any way. I definitely wouldn't want anything smaller.
If I were doing this again, I'd definitely take a close look at the 10"
Rikon from Woodcraft - on sale for $120.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5383 Looks very similar
to the Craftsman 10" model. Don't know about shipping to Canada. I
think any 10" bandsaw is basically an intermediate saw until you can
afford something bigger, and the Rikon is so cheap, you don't have a
lot to lose, unless you can pony up the $325+shipping for the basic
Grizzly 14"er. At that price, I don't see why you'd go with a 12"
Craftsman for $285...
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Don

"Andy" wrote
I have the Ryobi BS1001, and it's OK. Definitely functional, but not
outstanding in any way. I definitely wouldn't want anything smaller.
If I were doing this again, I'd definitely take a close look at the 10"
Rikon from Woodcraft - on sale for $120.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5383 Looks very similar
to the Craftsman 10" model. Don't know about shipping to Canada. I
think any 10" bandsaw is basically an intermediate saw until you can
afford something bigger, and the Rikon is so cheap, you don't have a
lot to lose, unless you can pony up the $325+shipping for the basic
Grizzly 14"er. At that price, I don't see why you'd go with a 12"
Craftsman for $285...

Last week at Lowes I saw a small Delta bandsaw, don't remember the size, on
sale for $78.
It was tempting, considering I had a $50 giftcard in my wallet.