James Nipper

Default Good High Wheel Mower -- Tall Grass ???

I have a summer cabin in the mountains. Because I don't live there full
time, the grass can get up to three feet at times. Part of the land is on
a pretty good slope, so I need good traction on a self propelled mower.

For about 25 years, I have used a Yazoo high wheel mower. It has a Briggs
and Stratton engine, I believe it is 7 hp. The mower is about worn
out, and I am thinking about replacing it.

This old mower uses a friction feed type thing whereby a spinning gear thing
rubs up against the wheel tire, and makes it move. It is NOT a good system
, as you don't get real good traction that way. It is sufficient if you are
on perfectly level, dry land. No good on a slope or in wet conditions.

What is a good replacement, hopefully something with a real gear drive??
Around 7-8 hp is still ok. Price around $700-900 is about what I think
I could spend. I do like the Briggs and Stratton engine.

Any ideas ??

Thanks !!

--James--

SQLit

"James Nipper" wrote in message

[...]

If it is working good why not either rebuild or replace the motor?

John W. Wells

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:40:52 -0400, "James Nipper"
wrote:

[...]

I had a "Pro" mower with a similar drive and the same sort of drive
problems. Any moisture on the grass and the darn thing wouldn't pull
up hill. My property was steep in many places and rough everywhere.

I replaced it with a Bachtold. This has a slipping-belt clutch and
chain drive to the wheels. Very reliable and easy to control. Bought
mine new for $650 almost 25 years ago. Dunno what they cost now. But
grass, blackberries, brush--it'll take down anything.

Mine has an 8hp Briggs--never had to touch it. Starts on the second
pull (the first is full choked).

I see they have a web presence http://www.bachtoldbros.com

--John W. Wells