T.

Default ELECTRIC HAND PLANER QUESTION

I've got a project in mind I think one of those hand-held electric
planers would work out well with, what with their depth of cut
adjustment, and all. And, no, a belt sander won't work.

These are the hand-held planers with about a 3-4" wide cut. Not a
real planer.

I'm asking here, because I've never used one, and haven't ran
across anything from anyone who has actually used one, except a few
boat-builders. For their use, they could have as well used a belt
sander, so I need some more input.

Anyone here actually used one of these? Did you like it? Any
comments on using one? Depth adjustment work well, without
self-adjusting? Any problems with control?

Thanks to anyone that actually knows something.

JOAT
There must be a hundred silver dollars in here. I can't handle that sort
o' money, you've gotta be in the league of lawyers to steal that much.
- J. H. "Flannelfoot" Boggis

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 9 Oct 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

DLGlos

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:26:22 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:03:12 -0400 (EDT), (T.)
wrote:

I've got a project in mind I think one of those hand-held electric
planers would work out well with, what with their depth of cut
adjustment, and all. And, no, a belt sander won't work.

I'm looking at my old Porter Cable 653 EHD Versa Plane as I type this.

In an earlier incarnation I used this beast to plane down the edges of
many doors.

It has a helical cutterhead with carbide tips, which is essentially
new, since a buddy of mine borrowed it and wound up having to buy me a
new cutterhead after fragging the original one.

It used to be thought of as the best of its' type.

I'm guessing that you can look up the specs on this thing.

I don't have much use for it anymore and haven't for donkey's years.

If interested, email me and make an offer.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

Joat,

I've actually, recently that is, used one of the Porter units that Tom
speaks of. The inclusion of a true helical cutter turns a simply OK
tool into a great one. It was actually my buddies tool, and I used it
to plane down 9 floor joists. We were redoing the kitchen, expanding
into an adjacent room that was not part of the original kitchen
footprint. My house is old, and the room we expanded into wasn't part
of the original configuration; the subfloor was almost 3/4" higher and
sloped the wrong way.

After removing the subfloor, the Porter took care of those not so
minor differences in about an hour and left me with an 8" deep pile of
shavings. Not to mention, the final surface was glass smooth. No
tearout whatsoever. Had to take off the side guide plate to get it
into tight spots though. Also used it to correct some 100 year old,
out of plane wall studs. In old houses, they never worried about the
studs being coplaner; that was taken care of by the plasterer.

The downside of this unit is cost, around $450, and if you screw up
the cutter, you have to buy a whole new head at over $100. Despite the
cost, I never did nick my buddies cutter in all the abuse I put the
Porter through.

Cheaper units just use inexpensive linear carbide inserts, but don't
leave near the finish. They also can't eat wood like the expensive
Porter. Really wish they made a 2/3 sized unit. The shear size of the
unit makes it difficult to use on smaller items.

David Glos
gandalf

"T." wrote in message

Anyone here actually used one of these? Did you like it? Any
comments on using one? Depth adjustment work well, without
self-adjusting? Any problems with control?

--------------
For what it's worth you can have my opinion. I have a Bosch with a maximum
planing width of 82 mm (a tad over 3 inches) up to that width it is great.
However, if I try to plane anything wider than that I have real problems as the
side/outer edges of the blade leave a nice sharp (although undesirable) track.
No matter how I try and no matter what depth setting I use I will get this, and
'ironing' it out is (for me) impossible. So, If I am messing with a rough 4x4
post I will end up with something that is not square and really has no flat
sides. OK for bench legs and the like but I wouldn't want to try to use it on a
table-top.

If the wood is narrower than 82mm then all is fine once you get the hang of
shifting weight as you near the end of the board. Just like a real plane really.

It is also without doubt the messiest tool in my garage. If I forget to put the
bag on (which works BTW) I will, within seconds have created a snow scene that
Disney could be proud of. (also, with a Bosch you get to choose which side the
chips/shavings fly out of, forget to check that and you end up wearing all the
snow.)

One comment about the Bosch, which may hold true for other planers, is that the
front handle is also the depth setting dial so it is possible to start a run on
one setting only to find you ended it on another.

Incidentally, I have a theory that might go some way to eliminating the track
marks on wider boards, and that is to re-shape the blades so that there is no
outer edge, again rather like a real plane (#4 smoothing type as I remember from
school). If anyone has tried this or has any comment I would be happy to learn
from it.

Christian Aufreiter

I have no personal experience with this type of tool but consider them
to be a nice addition for rough jobs, for example trimming doors. For
fine finish work I'd rather grab for a classic handplane.
You might like to read a review of the Festool planer:
http://www.cjohnhebert.com/Festool%20Planer.htm

Hope this helps,

Chrisian Aufreiter, Austria
Wade Lippman

I have an inexpensive one I got at a garage sale for $5.
It is wonderful for doors.
Just for fun, I tried it on a raw scrap of oak 1x8. It worked, sort of.
Maybe with a lot of practice...

T.

Thanks guys. I think that pretty much aswers all my questions.
Should work out just fine. I forgot to mention, the wood for this
particular project will be maybe 1.5 - 2" wide.

JOAT
There must be a hundred silver dollars in here. I can't handle that sort
o' money, you've gotta be in the league of lawyers to steal that much.
- J. H. "Flannelfoot" Boggis

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 9 Oct 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Hylourgos

I may be too late for my post to affect what you do, but here goes...

If this is just a one-time project and you can use the less expensive
kinds (i.e., DW, Hitachi, Bosch, not PC spiral), then go for a $20
Homier: it's a knock-off of the Hitachi, and it works every bit as
good as my Bosch (I have both).

H.

(T.) wrote in message ...
Thanks guys. I think that pretty much aswers all my questions.
Should work out just fine. I forgot to mention, the wood for this
particular project will be maybe 1.5 - 2" wide.

JOAT
There must be a hundred silver dollars in here. I can't handle that sort
o' money, you've gotta be in the league of lawyers to steal that much.
- J. H. "Flannelfoot" Boggis

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 9 Oct 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/
Silvan

T. wrote:

Hmm, never heard of that one, and a quick google didn't show up

Homier = Cheapass. They sell the stuff that was too crappy for Harbor
Freight.

I went to one of their tent sale thingies, looked around a bit, and didn't
find a single thing there worth looking at for more than two seconds.
Everything looked like the container it was shipped in had accidentally
fallen into the ocean.

The most exciting part of the day was running into a pretty woman who knew
me by name, and trying to figure out who she was, so I could answer SWMBO's
inescapable "WHO WAS SHE????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Henry St.Pierre

T. wrote:
[...]

Greetings Mr. T.,
I have a Dewalt that works very well for my purposes. I do restoration
and renovation work for the most part. It does a good and quick job
taking high spots off joists, studs, etc. and planing doors. It would
take a lot of practice to evenly plane a surface much wider than the
width of the sole. I have never used it for fine work so I can't comment
on that use of the plane. One main thing to remember when using it is
that it removes stock very, very quickly and it is not very forgiving.
Regards,
Hank

Hylourgos

JT got you the correct link before I checked in again, did you see it?

Despite Silvan's contempt, my experience has been different. The
Homier is, I believe, an exact duplicate of the Hitachi. I took mine
to the local Borg (Lowe's) and compared it: same exact look, same
exact sound when cranked up. Works every bit as good as my Bosch.

Hey, most all this stuff is made in Asia now, it wouldn't surprise me
if they were exactly the same units, one with a brand name and one a
Homier. Anyone who's taken a marketing class knows about multi-tiered
sales. If the Silvan's of the world find the name Hitachi worth a
hundred buck more, hey, more power (and less money) to them. He's
right, most Homier stuff is really cheap. But it's like anything, you
have to check it out before judging if you want to be fair. Note
Silvan didn't say he tried one.

You couldn't pay me to buy an angle grinder from Homier or HF, but I
have a Homier trim router that's every bit as good as my PC except for
the base place. I once did some research on a HF 3 hp router and it
turned out to be made in the same factory as a Makita that looks
suspiciously alike. Open up the schematics (go ahead, it's all on the
web) and they are identical. I got one and love it (I found only one
difference, the plunge rods were not made as well and rusted easily
until I fixed them).

HF makes a 4" planer you can get for about $60 if that extra inch is
important (if you're planing 4x4s for example).

I don't use my for much of anything except trimming doors. For most
other projects, and even doors when it's just a small amount to trim,
I reach for the hand planes. But the electric models are sure nice
when you want to get it off fast.

Regards,

....no longer in NC

(T.) wrote in message ...
Sat, Oct 11, 2003, 1:44pm (EDT-3)
(Hylourgos) says:
snip go for a $20 Homier snip

Hmm, never heard of that one, and a quick google didn't show up
any. Got a link to check them out? Where'd you run across yours? $20?
Sounds awfully low.

JOAT
There must be a hundred silver dollars in here. I can't handle that sort
o' money, you've gotta be in the league of lawyers to steal that much.
- J. H. "Flannelfoot" Boggis

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 9 Oct 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Hylourgos

[...]

Cheap-assedly yours,

....no longer in NC

(T.) wrote in message ...
Sat, Oct 11, 2003, 1:44pm (EDT-3)
(Hylourgos) says:
snip go for a $20 Homier snip

Hmm, never heard of that one, and a quick google didn't show up
any. Got a link to check them out? Where'd you run across yours? $20?
Sounds awfully low.

JOAT
There must be a hundred silver dollars in here. I can't handle that sort
o' money, you've gotta be in the league of lawyers to steal that much.
- J. H. "Flannelfoot" Boggis

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 9 Oct 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Hylourgos

[...]

(T.) wrote in message ...
Sat, Oct 11, 2003, 1:44pm (EDT-3)
(Hylourgos) says:
snip go for a $20 Homier snip

Hmm, never heard of that one, and a quick google didn't show up
any. Got a link to check them out? Where'd you run across yours? $20?
Sounds awfully low.

JOAT
There must be a hundred silver dollars in here. I can't handle that sort
o' money, you've gotta be in the league of lawyers to steal that much.
- J. H. "Flannelfoot" Boggis

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 9 Oct 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Hylourgos

Oops, sorry about the triple posts all...

H.

(Hylourgos) wrote in message . com...
[...]

(T.) wrote in message ...
Sat, Oct 11, 2003, 1:44pm (EDT-3)
(Hylourgos) says:
snip go for a $20 Homier snip

Hmm, never heard of that one, and a quick google didn't show up
any. Got a link to check them out? Where'd you run across yours? $20?
Sounds awfully low.

JOAT
There must be a hundred silver dollars in here. I can't handle that sort
o' money, you've gotta be in the league of lawyers to steal that much.
- J. H. "Flannelfoot" Boggis

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 9 Oct 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Electric shower help please Broadback UK diy 4 February 24th 04 03:20 PM
Electric water heating, cold water tanks and ceiling heating! David UK diy 5 January 13th 04 11:47 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Electric Heater Denver Woody Woodworking 6 October 2nd 03 09:43 PM