Broadback

Default Electric shower help please

My daughter has just purchased a house in which the boiler is going to
be replaced for a combi.
After having a combi failure myself I realise that an electric shower is
beneficial, as you can always keep clean! :-)
There is an electric shower at the moment, but it is pathetic. The way
the temperature is regulated is by reducing/increasing the rate of water
flow. As a result to get a nice hot shower the water hardly has the
energy to leave the shower head. Can anyone recommend an electric
shower which will deliver a good hot flow?

TIA
John
--
Do not reply to the email address. As all replies to this address are
deleted on arrival.
Lurch

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:16:34 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

My daughter has just purchased a house in which the boiler is going to
be replaced for a combi.
After having a combi failure myself I realise that an electric shower is
beneficial, as you can always keep clean! :-)
There is an electric shower at the moment, but it is pathetic. The way
the temperature is regulated is by reducing/increasing the rate of water
flow.

I think most showers do it like that.

As a result to get a nice hot shower the water hardly has the
energy to leave the shower head. Can anyone recommend an electric
shower which will deliver a good hot flow?

Higher power = more heating of water. Just check the cable size and
see what your max shower size will be. It'll more then likely be a 6mm
cable thus limiting you to about 8.5kw which is reasonable. It's more
likely though that the crap shower hasn't got enough water flowing
through it to start with. Our 8.5kw shower was never that good until I
repiped it, with full bore valves and sweeping bends rather than 90
degree fittings, improved it no end.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Neil Jones

"Broadback" wrote in message
My daughter has just purchased a house in which the boiler is going to
be replaced for a combi.
After having a combi failure myself I realise that an electric shower

is
beneficial, as you can always keep clean! :-)
There is an electric shower at the moment, but it is pathetic. The

way
the temperature is regulated is by reducing/increasing the rate of

water
flow. As a result to get a nice hot shower the water hardly has the
energy to leave the shower head. Can anyone recommend an electric
shower which will deliver a good hot flow?

TIA
John

This may not be what you want to hear, but in my experience all electric
showers which heat the water instantaneously are disappointing. Water
needs a tremendous amount of energy to heat it up and doing so
electrically in large volumes is not really practical in a dmoestic
situation. It's also more expensive than using gas.

Personally, I'd rather be totally disappointed occasionally (if/when the
combi fails) rather than somewhat disappointed every day.

regards

Neil

David Moodie

"Broadback" wrote in message
My daughter has just purchased a house in which the boiler is going to
be replaced for a combi.
After having a combi failure myself I realise that an electric shower is
beneficial, as you can always keep clean! :-)
There is an electric shower at the moment, but it is pathetic. The way
the temperature is regulated is by reducing/increasing the rate of water
flow. As a result to get a nice hot shower the water hardly has the
energy to leave the shower head. Can anyone recommend an electric
shower which will deliver a good hot flow?

TIA
John
--
Do not reply to the email address. As all replies to this address are
deleted on arrival.

There are many here who think that a decent shower is impossible from an
elecrtic shower, but we've had a 10.5kW version for the last couple of
years and found it perfectly acceptable, in fact it is often turned down to
a lower power setting during the summer and is still adequate. I'm unsure
of the exact model but it is made by Triton, and was bought from Agros
IIRC. I would also say that this shower was a major improvement compared to
the old electric one that it replaced, which was indeed pretty poor.

The main issue is that the cables supplying the shower may need upgraded to
accomodate the increased load.

Having said all that I'm now in the process of replacing it with a
thermostatic mixer :-) BUT we will install the same shower in a second
bathroom which is currently at the planning stage.

regards

David

Harry Bloomfield

On 24/02/2004 Broadback a wrote :
The way the temperature is regulated is by reducing/increasing the rate of
water flow. As a result to get a nice hot shower the water hardly has the
energy to leave the shower head. Can anyone recommend an electric shower
which will deliver a good hot flow?

Electric showers all work that way, when the water is really cold. The
only way to improve them is to increase the heat input, increase the
Kw. The more heat input, the more the shower can be turned up and yet
stay warm enough.

Be aware of the fact that a lower Kw shower can not simply be replaced
with an higher rated one without increasing the size of the feed cable,
the MCB rating and perhaps the ratings of the switches/isolators.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Electric Shower tripping MCB smb UK diy 55 January 23rd 04 07:14 PM
Electric water heater for a shower and hot tap Neill UK diy 2 September 21st 03 04:04 AM
Replacing electric shower - advice? Marshal Anderson UK diy 2 September 15th 03 02:18 PM
Electric shower Matt G UK diy 2 July 16th 03 10:38 PM
Is my electric shower about to fail? BigWallop UK diy 2 July 5th 03 01:57 AM