Matt G

Default Electric shower

This recent spurt of steamy weather got me thinking about taking a nice
cold shower, but it seems our electric shower has other plans. With the
dial at its normal position at 4-5 the water is nice and hot, just right
for a normal shower. With the dial at 0 though, the water is nice and
hot, just right for a normal shower! I haven't tried it with the dial at
10, for the sake of my skin. Water pressure is fine and I've had the
front panel off and a cog on the back of the dial engages another cog on
what I assume is a large valve and the cogs mesh together as they
should. Before I splash out on a new shower, does anyone know what might
be wrong, and does it have a DIY solution? The shower claims to be a
Gainsborough Swift.

Matt.

Brownie

"Matt G" wrote in message
news
This recent spurt of steamy weather got me thinking about taking a nice
cold shower, but it seems our electric shower has other plans. With the
dial at its normal position at 4-5 the water is nice and hot, just right
for a normal shower. With the dial at 0 though, the water is nice and
hot, just right for a normal shower! I haven't tried it with the dial at
10, for the sake of my skin. Water pressure is fine and I've had the
front panel off and a cog on the back of the dial engages another cog on
what I assume is a large valve and the cogs mesh together as they
should. Before I splash out on a new shower, does anyone know what might
be wrong, and does it have a DIY solution? The shower claims to be a
Gainsborough Swift.

This came up a few days ago so if you look through previous posts you will
find it. I think that was a Gainsborough. Cold showers always seem like a
good idea until 30 seconds in you realise cold is too cold!

Matt G

"Brownie" wrote in message

This came up a few days ago so if you look through previous posts you

will
find it. I think that was a Gainsborough. Cold showers always seem

like a
good idea until 30 seconds in you realise cold is too cold!

I found that thread posted 10/7/03 on google groups. It doesn't seem to
be on my ISP news server though.

The suggested problem of the microswitches being seized seems unlikely
as the 'Low power' setting is currently selected and hasn't been set to
anything else for a couple of years.

Would I be correct to say that electric showers work by sending cold
water through a constantly 'on' heater who's power is crudely controlled
by the 'high/low power' buttons, and the temperature of the water is
increased by reducing the pressure with an adjustable valve thus causing
it to flow through the heater more slowly allowing it to heat up for
longer?
If so, would it even be possible to get a cold or cool shower with no
way of turning the heater off?

Electric shower drips Rick Dipper UK diy 5 July 14th 03 06:13 PM
electric shower doesn't run cold - - advice please! Andrea UK diy 4 July 12th 03 08:59 AM
Electric Shower problem Jase UK diy 1 July 6th 03 01:59 PM
Electric shower - what rating? Alec UK diy 2 July 5th 03 09:45 PM
Is my electric shower about to fail? BigWallop UK diy 2 July 5th 03 02:57 AM