Henry St.Pierre

Default ELECTRIC HAND PLANER QUESTION

T. wrote:
I've got a project in mind I think one of those hand-held electric
planers would work out well with, what with their depth of cut
adjustment, and all. And, no, a belt sander won't work.

These are the hand-held planers with about a 3-4" wide cut. Not a
real planer.

I'm asking here, because I've never used one, and haven't ran
across anything from anyone who has actually used one, except a few
boat-builders. For their use, they could have as well used a belt
sander, so I need some more input.

Anyone here actually used one of these? Did you like it? Any
comments on using one? Depth adjustment work well, without
self-adjusting? Any problems with control?

Thanks to anyone that actually knows something.

JOAT
There must be a hundred silver dollars in here. I can't handle that sort
o' money, you've gotta be in the league of lawyers to steal that much.
- J. H. "Flannelfoot" Boggis

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 9 Oct 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Greetings Mr. T.,
I have a Dewalt that works very well for my purposes. I do restoration
and renovation work for the most part. It does a good and quick job
taking high spots off joists, studs, etc. and planing doors. It would
take a lot of practice to evenly plane a surface much wider than the
width of the sole. I have never used it for fine work so I can't comment
on that use of the plane. One main thing to remember when using it is
that it removes stock very, very quickly and it is not very forgiving.
Regards,
Hank